Affiliation: Harvard University
- Substance use, generation and time in the United States: the modifying role of gender for immigrant urban adolescentsJoanna Almeida
Simmons School of Social Work, Boston, MA, USA
Soc Sci Med 75:2069-75. 2012..The effects of generation and time in US on substance use differ by gender and the particular substance...
- Ethnicity and nativity status as determinants of perceived social support: testing the concept of familismJoanna Almeida
Institute on Urban Health Research, Northeastern University, Stearns 503, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115 USA
Soc Sci Med 68:1852-8. 2009..Effect modification by SES suggests that Latinos of lower and higher SES may differ with regard to the traditionally-held value of familism...
- A multilevel analysis of social ties and social cohesion among Latinos and their neighborhoods: results from ChicagoJoanna Almeida
Institute on Urban Health Research, Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115 5000, USA
J Urban Health 86:745-59. 2009..Contrary to the assumption that Mexican immigrant enclaves beget social cohesion, we did not find this to be true in Chicago neighborhoods...
- Emotional distress among LGBT youth: the influence of perceived discrimination based on sexual orientationJoanna Almeida
Northeastern University, School of Health Professions, Institute on Urban Health Research, Stearns Building, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Youth Adolesc 38:1001-14. 2009..Perceived discrimination is a likely contributor to emotional distress among LGBT youth...
- Is blood thicker than water? Social support, depression and the modifying role of ethnicity/nativity statusJ Almeida
Institute on Urban Health Research, Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, Boston, MA 02115 5000, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 65:51-6. 2011..In addition, such studies rarely specify the source of support and how support from family versus friends may differentially impact mental health...
- Peer violence perpetration among urban adolescents: dispelling the myth of the violent immigrantJoanna Almeida
Northeastern University, Boston, MA, USA
J Interpers Violence 26:2658-80. 2011..Results suggest that perpetration of violence worsens with increased time in the U.S. Research is needed to identify factors that contribute to the acquisition of behaviors such as violence among recently arrived immigrant youth...
- Are increased worker caseloads in state child protective service agencies a potential explanation for the decline in child sexual abuse? A multilevel analysisJoanna Almeida
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Child Abuse Negl 32:367-75. 2008