Mark B Abelson
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Efficacy of olopatadine ophthalmic solution 0.2% in reducing signs and symptoms of allergic conjunctivitisMark B Abelson
Schepens Eye Research Institute and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 28:427-33. 2007..2% reduced the signs and symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis with a rapid and prolonged duration of action. Safety analyses indicated that olopatadine 0.2% was safe and well tolerated in subjects with a history of allergic conjunctivitis...
- Olopatadine 0.2% ophthalmic solution: the first ophthalmic antiallergy agent with once-daily dosingMark B Abelson
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 4:453-61. 2008..Olopatadine 0.2% is the first topical ophthalmic antihistamine/mast cell stabilizer indicated for once-daily dosing...
- Clinical cure of bacterial conjunctivitis with azithromycin 1%: vehicle-controlled, double-masked clinical trialMark B Abelson
Ophthalmic Research Associates, North Andover, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 145:959-65. 2008..To analyze the effect of azithromycin 1% ophthalmic solution in DuraSite (InSite Vision, Inc, Alameda, California, USA) on bacterial conjunctivitis...
- A review of olopatadine for the treatment of ocular allergyMark B Abelson
Harvard Medical School and Schepens Eye Research Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 5:1979-94. 2004..In the future, a new formulation containing 0.2% olopatadine exhibits a duration of action up to 24 h, supporting once-daily dosing...
- Efficacy and safety of ketotifen fumarate 0.025% in the conjunctival antigen challenge model of ocular allergic conjunctivitisJack V Greiner
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 136:1097-105. 2003..To determine the duration of action of ketotifen 0.025% eye drops vs placebo taken as single or multiple doses in an allergen challenge model...
- Effects of a new formulation of olopatadine ophthalmic solution on nasal symptoms relative to placebo in two studies involving subjects with allergic conjunctivitis or rhinoconjunctivitisMark B Abelson
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Boston, MA 01845, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 21:683-91. 2005....
- Efficacy of ketotifen fumarate 0.025% ophthalmic solution compared with placebo in the conjunctival allergen challenge modelMark B Abelson
Schepens Eye Research Institute and Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:626-30. 2003..Ketotifen fumarate blocks histamine1 (H1) receptors, stabilizes mast cells, and acts as an eosinophil inhibitor (decreases chemotaxis and activation of eosinophils)...
- Bepotastine besilate ophthalmic solution for the relief of nonocular symptoms provoked by conjunctival allergen challengeGail L Torkildsen
Andover Eye Associates, Andover, Massachusetts, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 105:57-64. 2010..Bepotastine besilate is a selective histamine1-receptor antagonist and mast cell stabilizer with inhibitory effects on eosinophilic activity...
- Efficacy of once-daily olopatadine 0.2% ophthalmic solution compared to twice-daily olopatadine 0.1% ophthalmic solution for the treatment of ocular itching induced by conjunctival allergen challengeMark B Abelson
Harvard Medical School, Schepens Eye Research Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Eye Res 32:1017-22. 2007..1% and one drop of olopatadine 0.2%. Both showed significant activity at the 24-hour time point and were statistically superior to placebo. No adverse events occurred while on drug therapy...
- Efficacy and safety of single- and multiple-dose ketotifen fumarate 0.025% ophthalmic solution in a pediatric populationMark B Abelson
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 01845, USA
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 15:551-7. 2004..No subject discontinued prematurely due to an adverse event. These results indicate that ketotifen fumarate 0.025% ophthalmic solution is an effective and safe treatment option for children with allergic conjunctivitis...
- Comparative efficacy of olopatadine 0.1% ophthalmic solution versus levocabastine 0.05% ophthalmic suspension using the conjunctival allergen challenge modelMark B Abelson
Ophthalmic Research Associates, North Andover, MA 01845, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 20:1953-8. 2004..To compare the efficacy of olopatadine and levocabastine in reducing ocular allergic itching and vascular hyperemia (redness) induced by conjunctival allergen challenge...
- Bioequivalence of two formulations of ketotifen fumarate ophthalmic solution: a single-center, randomized, double-masked conjunctival allergen challenge investigation in allergic conjunctivitisGail L Torkildsen
Andover Eye Associates, Andover, Massachusetts, 01845, USA
Clin Ther 30:1272-82. 2008..025% (test formulation) contains the same active ingredient in the same concentration as the reference formulation, is intended for twice-daily dosing, and may provide a treatment option in patients with AC...
- Clinical efficacy of olopatadine hydrochloride ophthalmic solution 0.2% compared with placebo in patients with allergic conjunctivitis or rhinoconjunctivitis: a randomized, double-masked environmental studyMark B Abelson
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Boston, USA
Clin Ther 26:1237-48. 2004..Previous studies have suggested that olopatadine hydrochloride ophthalmic solution 0.2% administered once daily is effective for up to 24 hours after instillation and is well tolerated in adults and children aged > or =3 years...
- An evaluation of the ocular drying effects of 2 systemic antihistamines: loratadine and cetirizine hydrochlorideGeorge W Ousler
Ophthalmic Research Associates Inc, North Andover, Massachusetts 01845, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 93:460-4. 2004..Systemic antihistamines, such as loratadine and cetrizine hydrochloride, have proven efficacious in the control of many allergic conditions; however, patients complain about their drying effects...
- One-visit, randomized, placebo-controlled, conjunctival allergen challenge study of scanning and imaging technology for objective quantification of eyelid swelling in the allergic reaction with contralateral use of olopatadine and artificial tearsMark B Abelson
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Ther 25:2070-84. 2003..The eyelids are more susceptible than other tissues to swelling, acute inflammation, and resultant long-term damage. However, no precise, objective means of measuring eyelid swelling in the clinical setting has been developed...
- A randomized, double-blind, parallel-group comparison of olopatadine 0.1% ophthalmic solution versus placebo for controlling the signs and symptoms of seasonal allergic conjunctivitis and rhinoconjunctivitisMark B Abelson
Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Clin Ther 25:931-47. 2003..Similarly, the primary symptoms of allergic rhinoconjunctivitis are nasal itching, irritation, sneezing, watery rhinorrhea, and congestion combined with ocular itching, tearing, and swelling...
- Ocular tolerability and safety of ketotifen fumarate ophthalmic solutionMark B Abelson
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Adv Ther 19:161-9. 2002..Ketotifen has a favorable safety and tolerability profile, which may have a positive impact on compliance, an important aspect of effective symptomatic control of allergic conjunctivitis...
- Multicenter, open-label evaluation of hyperemia associated with use of bimatoprost in adults with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertensionMark B Abelson
Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Schepens Eye Research Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Adv Ther 20:1-13. 2003..4% were somewhat or moderately troubled. Investigators indicated that they would continue bimatoprost therapy in 92.3% of the patients. Hyperemia did not represent a significant safety concern...
- The Ocular Protection IndexGeorge W Ousler
Ophthalmic Research Associates, North Andover, MA 01845, USA
Cornea 27:509-13. 2008..This review discusses the development and use of the OPI model, its relationship to dry eye, and factors that are known to alter blink rate and tear film integrity...
- Efficacy and tolerability of ophthalmic epinastine assessed using the conjunctival antigen challenge model in patients with a history of allergic conjunctivitisMark B Abelson
Ophthalmic Research Associates, North Andover, USA
Clin Ther 26:35-47. 2004..Epinastine hydrochloride is a nonsedating antihistamine with a high affinity for histamine H(1) receptors, together with mast cell-stabilizing and anti-inflammatory activities...
- Dry eye in 2008Mark B Abelson
Ora, Andover, MA 01810, USA
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 20:282-6. 2009..Although researchers continue to investigate the multifarious etiologic, anatomical, physiological, and pathological factors of dry eye, successful treatment remains a challenge...
- Time to onset and duration of action of the antihistamine bepotastine besilate ophthalmic solutions 1.0% and 1.5% in allergic conjunctivitis: a phase III, single-center, prospective, randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled, conjunctival allergen chaMark B Abelson
Ora, Inc, Andover, Massachusetts 01810, USA
Clin Ther 31:1908-21. 2009..Based on a history of clinical effectiveness and tolerability of oral bepotastine besilate in the treatment of allergic symptoms, bepotastine besilate is being tested as a potential ophthalmic medication for allergic conjunctivitis...
- Conjunctival allergen challenge: models in the investigation of ocular allergyMark B Abelson
Ophthalmic Research Associates, 863 Turnpike Street, North Andover, MA 01845, USA
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 3:363-8. 2003..In this article, we review the relevant background on the science behind allergen challenges in the eye, how models are designed, and how models are used in the field today...
- Pemirolast potassium 0.1% ophthalmic solution is an effective treatment for allergic conjunctivitis: a pooled analysis of two prospective, randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled, phase III studiesMark B Abelson
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 18:475-88. 2002..1% was well tolerated and had a safety profile similar to that of placebo. In conclusion, pemirolast potassium 0.1% is effective and safe in preventing ocular itching in patients with allergic conjunctivitis during allergy season...
- Ocular allergy in pediatric practiceMark B Abelson
ORA Clinical Research and Development, North Andover, MA 01845, USA
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 6:306-11. 2006..Early detection is necessary to prevent potentially serious consequences of pediatric ocular allergy. Involvement of pediatric ophthalmologists may be necessary to avoid preventable vision loss in severe cases...
- Antihistamines in ocular allergy: are they all created equal?Mark B Abelson
Schepens Eye Institute, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 11:205-11. 2011..Future development is likely to focus on long-acting agents such as these and on drugs that can target additional histamine receptor subtypes...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of emedastine 0.05% ophthalmic solution with loratadine 10 mg and their combination in the human conjunctival allergen challenge modelMark B Abelson
Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Clin Ther 24:445-56. 2002..When selecting treatment for allergic conjunctivitis, a primary concern is whether to choose local or systemic therapy...
- Alternative reference values for tear film break up time in normal and dry eye populationsMark B Abelson
Ophthalmic Research Associates, Dry Eye Department, North Andover, Massachusetts, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 506:1121-5. 2002
- Comparison of the efficacy of combined fluticasone propionate and olopatadine versus combined fluticasone propionate and fexofenadine for the treatment of allergic rhinoconjunctivitis induced by conjunctival allergen challengeBob Q Lanier
Fort Worth Allergy Asthma Association, Texas 76132, USA
Clin Ther 24:1161-74. 2002..It has not yet been determined whether a topical or systemic agent is more effective for the latter purpose...
- Randomized, double-masked comparison of olopatadine ophthalmic solution, mometasone furoate monohydrate nasal spray, and fexofenadine hydrochloride tablets using the conjunctival and nasal allergen challenge modelsDennis L Spangler
Atlanta Allergy and Asthma Clinic, Atlanta, Georgia 30339, USA
Clin Ther 25:2245-67. 2003..Allergic rhinoconjunctivitis is typically treated with a nasal spray or systemic antihistamine, neither of which may provide adequate relief of the ocular component of the disease...
- Double-masked, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical study of the mast cell-stabilizing effects of treatment with olopatadine in the conjunctival allergen challenge model in humansAndrea Leonardi
Ophthalmology Unit, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
Clin Ther 25:2539-52. 2003..The purpose of this study was to assess the effects of olopatadine on the release of mast cell-derived mediators after conjunctival allergen challenge(CAC) in humans...
- Efficacy and tolerability of ophthalmic epinastine: a randomized, double-masked, parallel-group, active- and vehicle-controlled environmental trial in patients with seasonal allergic conjunctivitisScott M Whitcup
Allergan, Inc, Irvine, California 92623 9534, USA
Clin Ther 26:29-34. 2004..Epinastine hydrochloride is an antihistamine with mast cell-stabilizing and anti-inflammatory activity...
- Preclinical and clinical antiallergic effect of olopatadine 0.2% solution 24 hours after topical ocular administrationCullen T Vogelson
Alcon Research, Ltd, 6201 South Freeway, Fort Worth, TX 76134, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 25:69-75. 2004..These data suggest that topically applied olopatadine 0.2% solution will be an effective once-a-day therapy for allergic conjunctivitis...
- Effects of adjuvant therapy with 0.1% olopatadine hydrochloride ophthalmic solution on quality of life in patients with allergic rhinitis using systemic or nasal therapyWilliam Berger
Southern California Research, Mission Viejo, California, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 95:361-71. 2005..The Rhinoconjunctivitis Quality of Life Questionnaire and the Allergic Conjunctivitis Quality of Life Questionnaire quantify separate aspects of QoL...
- Evaluation of the comfort of Alphagan P compared with Alphagan in irritated eyesThomas Mundorf
Mundorf Eye Center, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Adv Ther 20:329-36. 2003..15%, 85% preferred brimonidine-Purite 0.15% (P=.001). The results of this study suggest that brimonidine-Purite 0.15% is significantly more comfortable than brimonidine tartrate 0.2% in patients with irritated eyes...
- Allergic conjunctivitis: update on pathophysiology and prospects for future treatmentSanta Jeremy Ono
Department of Immunology, University College London, Institutes of Ophthalmology and Child Health and Moorfields Eye Hospital, NHS Trust, United Kingdom
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:118-22. 2005....
- Evaluation of moxifloxacin, ciprofloxacin, gatifloxacin, ofloxacin, and levofloxacin concentrations in human conjunctival tissueRudolph S Wagner
Arch Ophthalmol 123:1282-3. 2005