Scott B Halstead
- More dengue, more questionsScott B Halstead
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 11:740-1. 2005
- Dengue virus-mosquito interactionsScott B Halstead
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Bethesda, MD 20852, USA
Annu Rev Entomol 53:273-91. 2008..Also described is the crucial role of monotypic and heterotypic herd immunity in shaping dengue epidemic behavior...
- Measuring dengue enhancing antibodies: caveatsScott B Halstead
J Infect Dis 193:601. 2006
- Interview with Scott B. Halstead, M.DScott B Halstead
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 7:99-105. 2007
- The burden of dengue infectionScott B Halstead
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Lancet 369:1410-1. 2007
- Identifying protective dengue vaccines: guide to mastering an empirical processScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA Electronic address
Vaccine 31:4501-7. 2013..Finally, it will be important to learn if DENV non-structural protein 1 (NS1) contributes to pathogenesis of the vascular permeability syndrome in humans. If so, immunity to dengue 1-4 NS1 may be crucial to prevent severe disease. ..
- Controversies in dengue pathogenesisScott B Halstead
Dengue Vaccine Initiative, International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Korea
Paediatr Int Child Health 32:5-9. 2012....
- Intrinsic antibody-dependent enhancement of microbial infection in macrophages: disease regulation by immune complexesScott B Halstead
International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Korea
Lancet Infect Dis 10:712-22. 2010..We review insights into intracellular mechanisms and implications of enhanced pathogenesis after ligation of macrophage Fcγ receptors by infectious immune complexes...
- Dengue virus: molecular basis of cell entry and pathogenesis, 25-27 June 2003, Vienna, AustriaScott B Halstead
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, 5824 Edson Lane, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Vaccine 23:849-56. 2005..Achievement of this aim will require a better understanding of the basic mechanisms by which dengue viruses recognize, attach, enter and infect relevant human cells and how antibodies protect against dengue infections...
- Japanese encephalitis: new options for active immunizationScott B Halstead
Research Program, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:1155-64. 2010..JE is a vaccine-preventable disease with numerous options now available for active immunization. Aggressive and responsible vaccination programs should greatly diminish the burden of disease...
- Antibodies determine virulence in dengueScott B Halstead
Supportive Research and Development Program, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Bethesda, Maryland 20852, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1171:E48-56. 2009....
- DengueScott B Halstead
Supportive Research and Development, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Internal Vaccine Institute, Seoul, South Korea
Lancet 370:1644-52. 2007..Here, I review and discuss data on clinical diagnosis and pathophysiology of vascular permeability and coagulopathy, parenteral treatment of DHF/DSS, and new laboratory tests...
- Biologic properties of dengue viruses following serial passage in primary dog kidney cells: studies at the University of HawaiiScott B Halstead
Department of Tropical Medicine and Medical Microbiology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:5-11. 2003..Candidate human vaccines have been prepared from five of the studied strains: DEN-1 (16007) at PDK 13, DEN-2 (16681 and S-16803) at PDK 50 or above, and DEN-4 (1036 and 341750) at PDK 48 and 20, respectively...
- New Japanese encephalitis vaccines: alternatives to production in mouse brainScott B Halstead
Research Program, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, 5824 Edson Lane, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Expert Rev Vaccines 10:355-64. 2011..A broad portfolio of safe and effective Japanese encephalitis vaccines has become available to meet the needs of at-risk populations; when appropriately delivered, these new vaccines should greatly diminish the burden of disease...
- The future of dengue vaccinesScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA
Lancet 360:1243-5. 2002
- DengueScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20852, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 15:471-6. 2002..Because efforts to control dengue are flagging, this review focuses on the mechanisms underlying severe disease and on treatment options, good and bad...
- New vaccines for Japanese encephalitisScott B Halstead
Research Program, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, 5824 Edson Lane, Rockville, MD, 20852, USA
Curr Infect Dis Rep 12:174-80. 2010..Safe and effective JE vaccines are now available to the entire at-risk population and should greatly diminish the burden of disease...
- Dengue hemorrhagic fever in infants: research opportunities ignoredScott B Halstead
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:1474-9. 2002..Research challenges presented by infant DHF/DSS are discussed...
- How innate immune mechanisms contribute to antibody-enhanced viral infectionsSukathida Ubol
Microbiology Department, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, 272 Rama 6 Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:1829-35. 2010..Safe and effective vaccines against RSV/measles virus and dengue virus may benefit from a better understanding of how innate immune responses can promote production of protective antibodies...
- The wages of original antigenic sinDavid M Morens
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 16:1023-4. 2010
- Effect of single dose of SA 14-14-2 vaccine 1 year after immunisation in Nepalese children with Japanese encephalitis: a case-control studyHeechoul Ohrr
Department of Preventive Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Lancet 366:1375-8. 2005..Cases of natural infection occurred almost immediately. Our aim was to assess the long-term protective effect of this vaccination...
- Best practices in dengue surveillance: a report from the Asia-Pacific and Americas Dengue Prevention BoardsMark E Beatty
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Republic of Korea
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e890. 2010..Dengue fever is a virus infection that is spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito and can cause severe disease especially in children. Dengue fever is a major problem in tropical and sub-tropical regions of the world...
- Neutralization and antibody-dependent enhancement of dengue virusesScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
Adv Virus Res 60:421-67. 2003
- Japanese encephalitisScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
Adv Virus Res 61:103-38. 2003
- Dengue in the Americas and Southeast Asia: do they differ?Scott B Halstead
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative Research, 5824 Edson Lane, Rockville, Maryland 20852, United States of America
Rev Panam Salud Publica 20:407-15. 2006..Understanding the nature and distribution of these genes holds promise for containing severe dengue. Future research on dengue infections should emphasize population-based designs...
- Neutralizing antibodies after infection with dengue 1 virusMaria G Guzman
Pedro Kouri Tropical Medicine Institute, Havana, Cuba
Emerg Infect Dis 13:282-6. 2007..This finding may be related to the time-dependent changes in severity of disease found with secondary dengue infection...
- Effect of age on outcome of secondary dengue 2 infectionsMaria G Guzman
Department of Virology, PAHO WHO Collaborating Center for Viral Diseases, Tropical Medicine Institute of Havana, Cuba
Int J Infect Dis 6:118-24. 2002..Involved were individuals, 3-40 year old, whose only lifetime dengue exposure was to DEN-1 in 1977 and DEN-2 in 1981. In this report we calculate age-specific DHF/DSS hospitalization and death rates based on secondary DEN 2 infections...
- Effect of dengue-1 antibodies on American dengue-2 viral infection and dengue haemorrhagic feverTadeusz J Kochel
Department of Virology, Naval Medical Research Centre Detachment, Lima, Peru
Lancet 360:310-2. 2002....
- Vaccines aplentyScott B Halstead
Curr Opin Infect Dis 15:461-3. 2002
- Cost-effectiveness of a pediatric dengue vaccineDonald S Shepard
Schneider Institute for Health Policy, Heller School, Room G19, Mail Stop 035, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454 9110, USA
Vaccine 22:1275-80. 2004..Eventually, vaccination may be able to replace environmental control as a strategy for dengue prevention and be cost saving...
- Enhanced severity of secondary dengue-2 infections: death rates in 1981 and 1997 Cuban outbreaksMaria G Guzman
Institute of Tropical Medicine Pedro Kouri, Department of Virology, Tropical Medicine Institute, Autopista Novia del Mediodía Km 6, P O Box 601, Marianao 13, Havana, Cuba
Rev Panam Salud Publica 11:223-7. 2002..To understand the possible effect that length of time has on disease severity with sequential dengue infections...
- Volume replacement in infants with dengue hemorrhagic fever/dengue shock syndromeThanh Hung Nguyen
Department of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, Children s Hospital No 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:684-91. 2006..To improve case fatality rates, special efforts need to be directed to infants with DHF/DSS accompanied by severe complications...
- Dengue hemorrhagic Fever caused by sequential dengue 1-3 virus infections over a long time interval: Havana epidemic, 2001-2002Mayling Alvarez
Department of Virology, Pan American Health Organization World Health Organization Collaborating Center for the Study of Dengue and its Vector, Pedro Kouri Tropical Medicine Institute, Havana, Cuba
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:1113-7. 2006..However definitive categorization of a tertiary infection was not possible because of broadly reactive antibodies, which could have been raised by infections in the sequence DENV-1 then DENV-3...
- Natural history of dengue virus (DENV)-1 and DENV-4 infections: reanalysis of classic studiesHiroshi Nishiura
Department of Medical Biometry, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, D 72070, Germany
J Infect Dis 195:1007-13. 2007..The natural history of wild-type dengue virus (DENV) infections of humans, including incubation and infectious periods, requires further study...
- Dengue hemorrhagic fever: two infections and antibody dependent enhancement, a brief history and personal memoirScott B Halstead
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Rev Cubana Med Trop 54:171-9. 2002
- Recombination and flavivirus vaccines: a commentaryThomas P Monath
Acambis Inc, 38 Sidney Street, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Vaccine 23:2956-8. 2005
- Dengue hemorrhagic fever in infants: a study of clinical and cytokine profilesThanh Hung Nguyen
Department of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, Children s Hospital No 1 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
J Infect Dis 189:221-32. 2004..Overproduction of both proinflammatory cytokines (interferon-gamma and tumor necrosis factor-alpha) and anti-inflammatory cytokines (interleukin-10 and -6) may play a role in the pathogenesis of DHF/DSS in infants...
- Single dose of SA 14-14-2 vaccine provides long-term protection against Japanese encephalitis: a case-control study in Nepalese children 5 years after immunization. firstname.lastname@example.orgJ B Tandan
Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training, P O Box 3546, Sanothimi, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Nepal
Vaccine 25:5041-5. 2007..1%) while only one of 20 JE cases had received live-attenuated JE vaccine. Five years after administration of a single dose, SA 14-14-2 provided a protective efficacy of 96.2% (CI 73.1-99.9%)...
- Association between sex, nutritional status, severity of dengue hemorrhagic fever, and immune status in infants with dengue hemorrhagic feverThanh Hung Nguyen
Department of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, Children s Hospital No 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:370-4. 2005....