Scott B Halstead
- Halstead S, Marchette N. Biologic properties of dengue viruses following serial passage in primary dog kidney cells: studies at the University of Hawaii. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003;69:5-11 pubmed..Candidate human vaccines have been prepared from five of the studied strains: DEN-1 (16007) at PDK 13, DEN-2 (16681 and S-16803) at PDK 50 or above, and DEN-4 (1036 and 341750) at PDK 48 and 20, respectively. ..
- Halstead S, Thomas S. Japanese encephalitis: new options for active immunization. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:1155-64 pubmed publisher..JE is a vaccine-preventable disease with numerous options now available for active immunization. Aggressive and responsible vaccination programs should greatly diminish the burden of disease. ..
- Halstead S. Licensed Dengue Vaccine: Public Health Conundrum and Scientific Challenge. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2016;95:741-745 pubmed..To achieve a safe and protective dengue vaccine, careful studies of monotypic CYD vaccines in humans should precede field trials of tetravalent formulations. ..
- Halstead S, Heinz F, Barrett A, Roehrig J. Dengue virus: molecular basis of cell entry and pathogenesis, 25-27 June 2003, Vienna, Austria. Vaccine. 2005;23:849-56 pubmed..Achievement of this aim will require a better understanding of the basic mechanisms by which dengue viruses recognize, attach, enter and infect relevant human cells and how antibodies protect against dengue infections. ..
- Halstead S, Thomas S. New Japanese encephalitis vaccines: alternatives to production in mouse brain. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2011;10:355-64 pubmed publisher..A broad portfolio of safe and effective Japanese encephalitis vaccines has become available to meet the needs of at-risk populations; when appropriately delivered, these new vaccines should greatly diminish the burden of disease. ..
- Aye K, Charngkaew K, Win N, Wai K, Moe K, Punyadee N, et al. Pathologic highlights of dengue hemorrhagic fever in 13 autopsy cases from Myanmar. Hum Pathol. 2014;45:1221-33 pubmed publisher..The latter findings had previously been reported but overlooked as a diagnostic feature. ..
- Halstead S, Aguiar M. Dengue vaccines: Are they safe for travelers?. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2016;14:378-83 pubmed publisher..The NIAID vaccine is promising as a travel vaccine as a single dose fully protected susceptible adults against live dengue 2 virus challenge. The protective efficacy and safety of the Takeda vaccine remain to be demonstrated. ..
- Halstead S. Achieving safe, effective, and durable Zika virus vaccines: lessons from dengue. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17:e378-e382 pubmed publisher..T-cell immunity might be an essential component of safe, efficacious, and durable Zika virus vaccines. ..
- Halstead S, Russell P. Protective and immunological behavior of chimeric yellow fever dengue vaccine. Vaccine. 2016;34:1643-7 pubmed publisher..The implications of the observed mixture of DENV protection and enhanced disease in CYD vaccinees are discussed. ..
- Halstead S. Dengvaxia sensitizes seronegatives to vaccine enhanced disease regardless of age. Vaccine. 2017;35:6355-6358 pubmed publisher..As hospitalizations continue to occur in all age groups Dengvaxia consumers should be warned that sensitized vaccinated seronegatives will experience enhanced dengue disease into the forseeable future...