Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute
- Interest of individuals from BRCA families to participate in research studies focused on male BRCA carriersTuya Pal
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL, USA
Fam Cancer 12:615-9. 2013..The importance of further studying this topic is underscored by emerging literature that suggest cancer surveillance and treatment decisions may improve outcomes in men with BRCA mutations...
- A statewide survey of practitioners to assess knowledge and clinical practices regarding hereditary breast and ovarian cancerTuya Pal
Moffitt Cancer Center, 12902 Magnolia Drive MRC CANCONT, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 17:367-75. 2013..This study describes practitioner knowledge and practices related to BRCA testing and management and explores how training may contribute to practice patterns...
- Early onset breast cancer in a registry-based sample of African-american women: BRCA mutation prevalence, and other personal and system-level clinical characteristicsTuya Pal
Division of Population Sciences, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Breast J 19:189-92. 2013..Finally, the limited number of patients referred for genetic counseling prior to surgical treatment for breast cancer may represent a missed clinical opportunity to inform surgical decisions...
- Frequency of mutations in mismatch repair genes in a population-based study of women with ovarian cancerT Pal
Departments of Cancer Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Anatomic Pathology and Experimental Therapeutics, Moffitt Cancer Center, MRC CANCONT, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Br J Cancer 107:1783-90. 2012..We sought to estimate the frequency and characteristics of HNPCC gene mutations in a population-based sample of women with epithelial ovarian cancer...
- Genetic risk assessments in individuals at high risk for inherited breast cancer in the breast oncology care settingTuya Pal
Population Sciences Department of Cancer Epidemiology, Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Cancer Control 19:255-66. 2012..Knowledge about the risk for hereditary cancer at or as close as possible to the time of diagnosis allows patients access to the most risk reduction options available...
- Evaluation of phone-based genetic counselling in African American women using culturally tailored visual aidsT Pal
Moffitt Cancer Center, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Tampa, Florida, USA
Clin Genet 78:124-31. 2010..Our results indicate that phone-based GC supplemented by a culturally targeted visual aid is an effective means of improving knowledge about HBOC in young AA women with invasive breast cancer...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of ovarian cancers: estimation of microsatellite-high frequency and characterization of mismatch repair deficient tumor histologyTuya Pal
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:6847-54. 2008....
- BRCA1/2 in high-risk African American women with breast cancer: providing genetic testing through various recruitment strategiesTuya Pal
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Florida, USA
Genet Test 12:401-7. 2008....
- A review of the clinical relevance of mismatch-repair deficiency in ovarian cancerTuya Pal
Department of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Cancer 113:733-42. 2008..The ability to make such distinctions may be of diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic utility...
- The presence of germ line mosaicism in cleidocranial dysplasiaT Pal
Department of Pediatrics, All Children s Hospital, College of Medicine, The University of South Florida, St Petersburg, Florida 33612, USA
Clin Genet 71:589-91. 2007..We present the first case of confirmed germ line mosaicism in CCD...
- Recruitment of black women for a study of inherited breast cancer using a cancer registry-based approachTuya Pal
Division of Population Sciences, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 15:69-77. 2011..We sought to understand the factors associated with recruitment activities while conducting a registry-based study of black women found to have breast cancer <age 50 to investigate mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes...
- Improved survival in BRCA2 carriers with ovarian cancerTuya Pal
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Fam Cancer 6:113-9. 2007..The objective of this study was to investigate survival of ovarian cancer patients with BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations compared to those without mutations in a population-based sample of incident epithelial ovarian cancer cases...
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations account for a large proportion of ovarian carcinoma casesTuya Pal
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL 33617, USA
Cancer 104:2807-16. 2005..To address this gap, the authors conducted a population-based study of 232 incident epithelial ovarian carcinomas in the Tampa Bay area...
- Educational needs and preferred methods of learning among Florida practitioners who order genetic testing for hereditary breast and ovarian cancerDeborah Cragun
Community and Family Health, College of Public Health, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
J Cancer Educ 28:690-7. 2013..These results can be used to enhance participation of community-based providers in educational training programs by targeting educational resources to the most preferred format...
- Association between IHC and MSI testing to identify mismatch repair-deficient patients with ovarian cancerJi Hyun Lee
1 Department of Biostatistics, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 18:229-35. 2014..This study evaluated the association of MSI-high (MSI-H) status with loss of expression (LoE) of mismatch repair (MMR) proteins on IHC and assessed for potential factors affecting the strength of the association...
- Fertility in women with BRCA mutations: a case-control studyTuya Pal
Department of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, Moffitt Cancer Center, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida, USA
Fertil Steril 93:1805-8. 2010..To investigate whether or not fertility is reduced in women carrying mutations in the BRCA genes (BRCA1 and BRCA2), compared with noncarrier family members...
- Incidence of colorectal cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: results from a follow-up studyC M Phelan
Department of Cancer Epidemiology, Moffitt Cancer Center, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33647, USA
Br J Cancer 110:530-4. 2014..The BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes confer increased susceptibility to breast and ovarian cancer and to a spectrum of other cancers. There is controversy regarding the risk of colorectal cancer conferred by germline mutations in these two genes...
- Uncertainty in the utility of immunohistochemistry in mismatch repair protein expression in epithelial ovarian cancerDomenico Coppola
Department of Anatomic Pathology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL, USA
Anticancer Res 32:4963-9. 2012..We evaluated MMR protein expression in three population-based samples of epithelial ovarian cancers...
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in a study of African American breast cancer patientsTuya Pal
Lifetime Cancer Screening and Prevention Center, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 4117 East Fowler Avenue, Tampa, FL 33617, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:1794-9. 2004....
- High-risk consumers' perceptions of preimplantation genetic diagnosis for hereditary cancers: a systematic review and meta-analysisGwendolyn P Quinn
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida, USA
Genet Med 14:191-200. 2012....
- Development of a culturally tailored genetic counseling booklet about hereditary breast and ovarian cancer for Black womenJennifer Permuth-Wey
Department of Epidemiology and Genetics, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Am J Med Genet A 152:836-45. 2010..Further evaluation of the utility of our booklet in increasing awareness and understanding of HBOC and promoting informed decision-making regarding genetic testing and medical management among Black women is needed...
- Risk factors for ovarian cancers with and without microsatellite instabilityYakir Segev
Familial Breast Cancer Research, Women s College Research Institute Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Toronto Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Department of Cancer Epidemiology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL Department of Chronic Disease Epidemiology, Yale School of Public Health, New Haven, CT and Duke University, Duke School of Medicine, Durham, NC
Int J Gynecol Cancer 24:664-9. 2014....
- A pilot study to examine patient awareness and provider discussion of the impact of cancer treatment on fertility in a registry-based sample of African American women with breast cancerSusan T Vadaparampil
Department of Oncologic Science, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
Support Care Cancer 20:2559-64. 2012..e., ≤age 40), little is known about patient awareness of or provider discussion related to fertility in this group. We examined African American women's awareness of the possible impact of cancer treatment on fertility...
- Development of a brochure for increasing awareness of inherited breast cancer in black womenSusan T Vadaparampil
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 15:59-67. 2011..Further, the complexity of our subject matter (i.e., inherited breast and ovarian cancer) underscores the importance of using inviting visuals and personal vignettes, while maintaining a simple and clear message...
- Differences in BRCA counseling and testing practices based on ordering provider typeDeborah Cragun
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida, USA
Genet Med 17:51-7. 2015....
- Colorectal cancer survivors' interest in genetic testing for hereditary cancer: implications for universal tumor screeningDeborah Cragun
Department of Community and Family Health, College of Public Health, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, USA
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 16:493-9. 2012..This study explores interest in genetic testing for hereditary CRC among CRC patients who have never received genetic counseling or testing...
- Risk terminology in biobanking and genetic research: what's in a name?Gwendolyn P Quinn
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Am J Med Genet A 161:2095-8. 2013....
- Comparing universal Lynch syndrome tumor-screening programs to evaluate associations between implementation strategies and patient follow-throughDeborah Cragun
Division of Population Science, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida, USA
Genet Med 16:773-82. 2014..This multiple-case study explored how variability in UTS procedures influenced patient follow-through (PF) with germ-line testing after a screen-positive result...
- Contrasting the ethical perspectives of biospecimen research among individuals with familial risk for hereditary cancer and biomedical researchers: implications for researcher trainingGwendolyn P Quinn
1 Population Sciences Division, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 18:467-73. 2014....
- Sampling strategies for tissue microarrays to evaluate biomarkers in ovarian cancerJenny Permuth-Wey
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:28-34. 2009..Tissue microarrays (TMA) enable rapid analysis of biomarkers in large-scale studies involving archival tumor specimens, however, their utility in heterogeneous tumors such as ovarian cancer is limited...
- Factors associated with genetic counseling and BRCA testing in a population-based sample of young Black women with breast cancerD Cragun
Cancer Epidemiology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 12902 Magnolia Drive MRC CANCONT, Tampa, FL, 33612, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 151:169-76. 2015..These results indicate that socioeconomic factors and physician referral patterns contribute to disparities in access to genetic services within this underserved minority population. ..
- Updating and refining a study brochure for a cancer registry-based study of BRCA mutations among young African American breast cancer patients: lessons learnedSusan T Vadaparampil
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Moffitt Cancer Center, 12902 Magnolia Drive, MRC CANCONT, Tampa, FL, 33612, USA
J Community Genet 1:63-71. 2010..This approach can be readily adapted to develop study recruitment materials for individuals from a variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds...
- Estrogen bioactivation, genetic polymorphisms, and ovarian cancerThomas A Sellers
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33602, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:2536-43. 2005..015). Although preliminary, this study provides some support for the hypothesis that low-penetrance susceptibility alleles may influence risk of epithelial ovarian cancer...
- Mismatch repair gene expression defects contribute to microsatellite instability in ovarian carcinomaTuya Pal
Cancer 100:2485-6; author reply 2486. 2004
- Ovarian Cancer and Mismatch Repair DeficiencyTuya Pal; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..