Affiliation: Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center
- Outcomes of complex gastrointestinal procedures performed in a community hospitalMatthew H Guzzo
General and Vascular Surgery Department, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
WMJ 104:30-4. 2005..Prior studies suggest a direct volume-outcome relationship...
- A quality review of the timeliness of breast cancer diagnosis and treatment in an integrated breast centerJeffrey Landercasper
Department of General Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran Health System, LaCrosse, WI 54601, USA
J Am Coll Surg 210:449-55. 2010..The National Consortium of Breast Centers defines "quality" of breast cancer care as "accurate evaluation and appropriate services ... in a timely manner." We sought to determine timeliness of care and relationship to patient satisfaction...
- A community breast center report card determined by participation in the national quality measures for breast centers programJeffrey Landercasper
Department of General Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran Health System, Norma J Vinger Center for Breast Care, 1900 South Avenue, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
Breast J 16:472-80. 2010..Voluntary interdisciplinary institutional audits of breast cancer quality can be successfully submitted to the NQMBC(TM) with confidential peer performance comparison...
- Long-term follow-up of the modified Delorme procedure for rectal prolapseBrian P Watkins
Department of General and Vascular Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, LaCrosse, WI 54601, USA
Arch Surg 138:498-502; discussion 502-3. 2003..The modified Delorme operation is a safe, effective, and durable treatment for complete rectal prolapse...
- The relationship between quality and cost during the perioperative breast cancer episode of careJeffrey Landercasper
Norma J Vinger Center for Breast Care, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
Breast 19:289-96. 2010..Recognition of the variability of performance of QM's with an inverse quality and cost relationship has the potential to lower breast cancer population healthcare expenditures, if average performance for those QM can be improved...
- A breast center review of compliance with National Comprehensive Cancer Network Breast Cancer guidelinesJeffrey Landercasper
Department of Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
Am J Surg 192:525-7. 2006..National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guideline compliance for breast cancer was determined in a breast center...
- Core needle biopsy rate for new cancer diagnosis in an interdisciplinary breast center: evaluation of quality of care 2007-2008Jared H Linebarger
Department of Medical Education, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation, La Crosse, WI, USA
Ann Surg 255:38-43. 2012..The purpose of this study is to evaluate the rate of minimally invasive biopsy for diagnosis of breast cancer at an interdisciplinary breast center...
- Perioperative quality metrics for one step breast cancer surgery: a patient-centered approachTravis J Smith
Department of Medical Education, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation, La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
J Surg Oncol 102:34-8. 2010..The aim of this study was to audit patient-centered quality measures (QM) to create a breast center report card that could be provided to patients for education and informed consent...
- Local and paravertebral block anesthesia for outpatient elective breast cancer surgeryNicholas J Kitowski
Department of Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran Health System, 1900 South Ave, Mailstop EB1 002, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
Arch Surg 145:592-4. 2010..We conclude that most elective outpatient breast cancer surgery operations can be performed with the patients given local or regional anesthesia...
- Tumoral pseudoangiomatous stromal hyperplasia of the breastStephanie M Wieman
Department of General Surgery, Norma J Vinger Center for Breast Care NJVCBV, the Gundersen Lutheran Health System, La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601, USA
Am Surg 74:1211-4. 2008..Excision of PASH after CNB may be considered for patients with symptoms, enlarging lesions, or lesions classified as BI-RADS 4 or 5. PASH diagnosed by CNB allows selected patients to avoid excision...
- Contemporary breast imaging and concordance assessment: a surgical perspectiveJeffrey Landercasper
Norma J Vinger Center for Breast Care, Department of Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran Health System, 1900 South Avenue, Mailstop EB1 002, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
Surg Clin North Am 91:33-58. 2011..This article summarizes the use, applicability, and concordance assessment of mammography, ultrasonography, and magnetic resonance imaging in patients who have breast complaints or abnormalities on clinical examination or imaging...
- Stump appendicitis: case report and reviewBrian P Watkins
Department of General and Vascular Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, LaCrosse, Wisconsin 54601, USA
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 14:167-71. 2004..Stump appendicitis is a real, yet probably underreported entity. It can occur after either laparoscopic or open appendectomy. Avoidance of a long appendiceal stump is the only suggested means by which to avoid its occurrence...
- Cholecystectomy and acquired factor VIII inhibitor coagulopathyJason D Walsh
Department of Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran, La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601, USA
Am Surg 70:815-7. 2004..Acquired factor VIII inhibitor coagulopathy is rare and potentially lethal. Preoperative recognition and appropriate hematologic intervention is crucial to achieve a successful outcome...
- Paravertebral block: an alternative to general anesthesia in breast cancer surgeryMelissa M Najarian
Department of Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601, USA
Am Surg 69:213-8; discussion 218. 2003..The good success rate and low complication rate of PVB make it well suited for breast cancer surgery and can eliminate the need for GA in patients with serious comorbidities...
- Patient outcomes and dysphagia after laparoscopic antireflux surgery performed without use of intraoperative esophageal dilatorsJason D Walsh
Department of Surgery and Biomedical Statistics Gundersen Lutheran, Medical Center, La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601, USA
Am Surg 69:219-23; discussion 223-4. 2003..We conclude that the results of LF are equivalent with respect to control of heartburn and risk of dysphagia regardless of ED usage. Selective rather than routine use of EDs is recommended...
- Red breast as a presenting complaint at a breast center: an institutional reviewJoshua Froman
Department of Medical Education, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
Surgery 149:813-9. 2011..The literature documents patients who present with a red breast with delays in diagnosis of inflammatory cancer. We recorded our institutional experience prospectively in the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of a red breast...