Susan M Zbikowski
Affiliation: Group Health Cooperative
- Risk factors for smoking among adolescents with asthmaSusan M Zbikowski
University of Memphis Center for Community Health, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
J Adolesc Health 30:279-87. 2002..To examine the prevalence of smoking among youth with asthma and explore potential risk factors for smoking among these youth, compared with youth without asthma...
- Rapid progression to regular cigarette smoking among nonsmoking adolescents: interactions with gender and ethnicityJonathan L Blitstein
Department of Psychology, The University of Memphis, Memphis, TN 38152, USA
Prev Med 36:455-63. 2003....
- Adolescent reports of physician counseling for smokingCatherine M Alfano
University of Memphis Center for Community Health, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Pediatrics 109:E47. 2002....
- A prospective evaluation of the relationships between smoking dosage and body mass index in an adolescent, biracial cohortTheodore V Cooper
University of Memphis Center for Community Health, Suite 675, 5350 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN 38119, USA
Addict Behav 28:501-12. 2003..It is concluded that smoking initiation is not associated with adolescent body weight change for at least a 3-year period...
- The relationship between socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and cigarette smoking in urban adolescentsIsabel C Scarinci
University of Memphis Center for Community Health, 5350 Poplar Ave, Suite 675, Memphis, TN 38119, USA
Prev Med 34:171-8. 2002....
- Smoking outcome by psychiatric history after behavioral and varenicline treatmentJennifer B McClure
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 38:394-402. 2010..Groups had similar 30-day abstinence rates at 6 months (31.5% PH+ vs. 35.4% PH-, p = .35). In sum, having a psychiatric diagnosis in this trial did not predict worse treatment outcome or worse treatment side effects...
- Mood, side-effects and smoking outcomes among persons with and without probable lifetime depression taking vareniclineJennifer B McClure
Group Health Center for Health Studies, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:563-9. 2009..Varenicline may be associated with greater mood disturbance and side-effects among smokers with psychiatric history, but empirical evidence is limited. Differential treatment effectiveness by psychiatric history may also exist...
- Adherence to varenicline in the COMPASS smoking cessation intervention trialSheryl L Catz
Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Ave, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 13:361-8. 2011..It is important to understand the extent to which prescribed medications are actually taken by smokers, how this influences smoking cessation outcomes, and what factors may influence adherence...
- Prevalence and characteristics of smokers at 30 Pacific Northwest colleges and universitiesBeti Thompson
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:429-38. 2007..Data indicate that college smokers wish and plan to quit before graduation, suggesting that efforts to assist smokers in quitting during the college years may be fruitful...
- Intraclass correlation among measures related to cigarette use by adolescents: estimates from an urban and largely African American cohortDavid M Murray
Department of Psychology, The University of Memphis, TN 38152 3230, USA
Addict Behav 27:509-27. 2002..We show how those correlations can be reduced using regression adjustments and used to determine sample size for future school-based smoking prevention studies...
- Smoking cessation in a blue-collar population: results from an evidence-based pilot programKnut Ringen
Stoneturn Consultants, Seattle, Washington 98166, USA
Am J Ind Med 42:367-77. 2002..The absence of evidence demonstrating the effectiveness of smoking cessation programs has kept Taft Hartley Funds from investing in smoking cessation benefits...
- Nicotine patches and uninsured quitline callers. A randomized trial of two versus eight weeksTimothy A McAfee
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:103-10. 2008..Because of funding limitations some provide short courses of NRT. No randomized trial has evaluated the relative benefit of short versus standard treatment...
- Telephone-based tobacco-cessation treatment: re-enrollment among diverse groupsBeatriz H Carlini
Free and Clear, Inc, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:73-6. 2008..This study aimed to determine the rates of quitline re-enrollment and to compare the responses of people of varying racial/ethnic identities to invitations utilizing different communication strategies...
- The effectiveness and cost effectiveness of telephone counselling and the nicotine patch in a state tobacco quitlineJack F Hollis
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest, Portland, OR 97227, USA
Tob Control 16:i53-9. 2007..We examined the effectiveness and cost effectiveness of offering callers single session versus multisession counselling, with or without free nicotine patches...
- Preventing premature death: tobacco treatment services for employeesTim McAfee
Center for Health Promotion (CHP, Tukwila, Washington, USA
Empl Benefits J 29:18-23. 2004....
- Ethnic differences in predictors of adolescent smoking onset and escalation: a longitudinal study from 7th to 12th gradeLeslie A Robinson
Center for Health Promotion and Evaluation, Department of Psychology, The University of Memphis, TN 38152 3230, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 8:297-307. 2006..Overall, we found that, contrary to previous research, risk factors for smoking differed across ethnicity. Further, smoking onset appears to be shaped by forces different from those that accelerate consumption...
- Financial burden of tobacco use: an employer's perspectiveHarold S Javitz
Center for Health Sciences, SRI International, 333 Ravenswood Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Clin Occup Environ Med 5:9-29, vii. 2006....
- Physician tobacco advice to preteens in a smoking-prevention randomized trial: steering clearTim McAfee
Free and Clear, 12401 East Marginal Way South, Tukwila, Washington 98168, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 30:371-6. 2005..To examine preadolescent and parental recall of tobacco prevention messages by health care providers...
- Cost-effectiveness of different combinations of bupropion SR dose and behavioral treatment for smoking cessation: a societal perspectiveHarold S Javitz
Center for Health Sciences, SRI International, Menlo Park, Calif 94025, USA
Am J Manag Care 10:217-26. 2004....
- Cigarette smoking and nicotine dependenceSusan M Zbikowski
Center for Health Promotion, Inc, 12401 East Marginal Way South, Tukwila, WA 98168, USA
Med Clin North Am 88:1453-65, x. 2004..This article presents a brief overview of nicotine dependence with particular emphasis placed on understanding what nicotine dependence is, why it occurs, how it is measured, and how it can be managed through effective treatments...
- Return on investment of different combinations of bupropion SR dose and behavioral treatment for smoking cessation in a health care setting: an employer's perspectiveHarold S Javitz
Center for Health Sciences, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Value Health 7:535-43. 2004....
- A placebo controlled randomized trial of the effects of phenylpropanolamine and nicotine gum on cessation rates and postcessation weight gain in womenTheodore V Cooper
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Addict Behav 30:61-75. 2005..Future efforts should focus on increasing adherence to behavioral program components, particularly session attendance...