Robert J Reid
Affiliation: Group Health Cooperative
- Patient-centered medical home demonstration: a prospective, quasi-experimental, before and after evaluationRobert J Reid
Group Health Research Institute, Group Health Cooperative, 1730 Minor Ave, Ste 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Am J Manag Care 15:e71-87. 2009..Five design principles guided development of the PCMH changes to staffing, scheduling, point-of-care, outreach, and management...
- Spreading a medical home redesign: effects on emergency department use and hospital admissionsRobert J Reid
Group Health Physicians, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Ann Fam Med 11:S19-26. 2013..We describe the Group Health experience in attempting to replicate the effects on health care use seen in a PCMH prototype clinic via a systemwide spread using Lean as the change strategy...
- Association between health-service use and multiplex genetic testingRobert J Reid
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, Washington, USA
Genet Med 14:852-9. 2012..Multiplex tests" that give individuals feedback on large panels of genetic variants have proliferated. Availability of these test results may prompt consumers to use more health-care services...
- Socioeconomic status and hospital utilization among younger adult pneumonia admissions at a Canadian hospitalMargaret J McGregor
Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation, Family Practice Research Office, 828 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 6:152. 2006..The primary objective of this study therefore, was to examine the relationship of SES to LOS and early re-admission among adult patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia in a setting with universal health insurance...
- The Group Health medical home at year two: cost savings, higher patient satisfaction, and less burnout for providersRobert J Reid
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, WA, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 29:835-43. 2010..We estimate total savings of $10.3 per patient per month twenty-one months into the pilot. We offer an operational blueprint and policy recommendations for adoption in other health care settings...
- Case study of linking dental and medical healthcare recordsMary Kay Theis
Group Health Center for Health Studies, 1730 Minor Ave, Ste 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Am J Manag Care 16:e51-6. 2010..To link the administrative data of a large dental carrier and an integrated health plan in Washington State to conduct an observational study of diabetes and periodontal disease...
- Intimate partner violence among men prevalence, chronicity, and health effectsRobert J Reid
Group Health Cooperative Center for Health Studies, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Am J Prev Med 34:478-85. 2008..The breadth and depth of intimate partner violence (IPV) experienced by men have not been fully documented...
- Is provider continuity associated with chlamydia screening for adolescent and young adult women?Robert J Reid
Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, 1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Prev Med 41:865-72. 2005..Our objective was to examine the relationship between continuity of care and chlamydia screening in adolescent and young women, a preventive service where large performance gaps exist...
- Strengthening primary care with better transfer of informationRobert J Reid
Group Health Center for Health Studies, 1730 Minor Ave, Suite 1600, Seattle WA 98101, USA
CMAJ 179:987-8. 2008
- Evaluating components of dental care utilization among adults with diabetes and matched controls via hurdle modelsMonica Chaudhari
Washington Dental Service, 9706 Fourth Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98115, USA
BMC Oral Health 12:20. 2012..This project had two purposes: to develop a methodology to estimate dental care utilization using claims data and to use this methodology to compare utilization of dental care between adults with and without diabetes...
- Impact on seniors of the patient-centered medical home: evidence from a pilot studyPaul A Fishman
Group Health Research Institute, Group Health Cooperative, 1730 Minor Ave, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Gerontologist 52:703-11. 2012..To assess the impact on health care cost and quality among seniors of a patient-centered medical home (PCMH) pilot at Group Health Cooperative, an integrated health care system in Washington State...
- Patient race/ethnicity and shared medical record use among diabetes patientsCourtney R Lyles
Center for Vulnerable Populations, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Med Care 50:434-40. 2012..Less is known about whether these are driven by patient-level preferences and/or barriers versus broader provider or system factors...
- Spreading a patient-centered medical home redesign: a case studyClarissa Hsu
Center for Community Health and Evaluation, Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Ambul Care Manage 35:99-108. 2012..Group Health's experience provides valuable insights that can be used to improve the design and implementation of future PCMH models...
- Healthcare utilization and costs for women with a history of intimate partner violenceFrederick P Rivara
Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center and the Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Am J Prev Med 32:89-96. 2007..To determine the healthcare utilization and medical care costs of women with a history of intimate partner violence (IPV) compared to women without a history of IPV...
- Age, period, and cohort effects on intimate partner violenceFrederick P Rivara
University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Violence Vict 24:627-38. 2009..The estimated risk is lowest for those born between 1966 and 1975, with 31% lower risk of IPV than those born in 1946-1955. There was a substantial drop in IPV for all age-groups beginning in the 1990s...
- Barriers and facilitators to team-based care in the context of primary care transformationDeann Cromp
Center for Community Health and Evaluation Ms Cromp and Dr Hsu, Group Health Research Institute Mss Coleman and Ehrlich, Drs Fishman and Reid, and Messrs Johnson and Ross, Seattle, Washington Primary Care, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, Washington Drs Trescott and Trehearne and Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois Dr Liss
J Ambul Care Manage 38:125-33. 2015..This article adds to the literature on the importance of teams in primary care by exploring the barriers and facilitators to establishing high functioning teams during a patient-centered medical home transformation process. ..
- Predictors of 1-year change in patient activation in older adults with diabetes mellitus and heart diseaseJessica Chubak
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 60:1316-21. 2012..To identify patterns and predictors of 1-year change in patient activation in chronically ill older adults...
- Intimate partner violence and health care costs and utilization for children living in the homeFrederick P Rivara
Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center, 325 Ninth Ave, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Pediatrics 120:1270-7. 2007..The goal was to determine whether differences in health care costs and utilization exist for children whose mothers experienced intimate partner violence versus those who did not...
- A population-based study of periodontal care among those with and without diabetesKatherine M Newton
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, WA, USA
J Periodontol 82:1650-6. 2011..Our objectives were to describe the prevalence of periodontal care (a marker of periodontitis) among persons with and without diabetes and to examine the association between periodontal care and diabetes...
- Intimate partner violence and women's physical, mental, and social functioningAmy E Bonomi
Center for Health Studies, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Am J Prev Med 30:458-66. 2006..To describe the relationship between women's health and the timing, type, and duration of intimate partner violence (IPV) exposure...
- Patterns of preoperative consultation and surgical specialty in an integrated healthcare systemStephan R Thilen
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Anesthesiology 118:1028-37. 2013..Only limited data are available on factors associated with preoperative consultations. The authors hypothesized that surgical specialty contributes to variation in referrals for preoperative consultations...
- Implications of reassigning patients for the medical home: a case studyKatie Coleman
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Ann Fam Med 8:493-8. 2010..This article examines the impact on patient experience and utilization of Group Health Cooperative's process of reassigning patients to new physicians as part of their medical home demonstration project...
- The changes involved in patient-centered medical home transformationEdward H Wagner
MacColl Center for Health Care Innovation, Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Prim Care 39:241-59. 2012..This article describes the eight consensus change concepts and 32 key changes that emerged from this process, and the evidence supporting their inclusion...
- Changes in health care costs over time following the cessation of intimate partner violencePaul A Fishman
Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Ave, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Gen Intern Med 25:920-5. 2010..However, no studies have determined whether health care costs for abused women return to baseline levels at some point after their abuse ceases...
- Patient-reported care coordination: associations with primary care continuity and specialty care useDavid T Liss
Department of Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Ann Fam Med 9:323-9. 2011..This study investigated (1) the association between care coordination and continuity of primary care, and (2) differences in this association by level of specialty care use...
- Intimate partner violence: prevalence, types, and chronicity in adult womenRobert S Thompson
Center for Health Studies, Department of Preventive Care, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Am J Prev Med 30:447-57. 2006..Most intimate partner violence (IPV) prevalence studies do not examine the relationships between IPV types and the chronicity and severity of abuse...
- Participatory (re)design of a sociotechnical healthcare delivery system: the Group Health Patient-Centered Medical HomeJames T Tufano
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 157:59-65. 2010..The emergent PCMH healthcare delivery system comprises both opportunistic point-of-care and outreach components, many of which leverage and enhance the organization's health information and communication technologies...
- Changes in office visit use associated with electronic messaging and telephone encounters among patients with diabetes in the PCMHDavid T Liss
Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, Northwestern University Fein berg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, Washington
Ann Fam Med 12:338-43. 2014..We assessed whether use of copay-free secure messaging and telephone encounters was associated with office visit use in a population with diabetes...
- Patient experience should be part of meaningful-use criteriaJames D Ralston
Group Health Research Institute, Group Health Cooperative, in Seattle, Washington, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 29:607-13. 2010..These results highlight the need to measure the patient experience as part of meaningful use and to enact policies supporting online and phone communication by patients and providers...
- Implementing the learning health system: from concept to actionSarah M Greene
Group Health Cooperative, 320 Westlake Avenue North, GHQ E2N, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Ann Intern Med 157:207-10. 2012..Rapid learning must be valued as a health system property to realize its full potential for knowledge generation and application...
- Cross-sectional study of periodontal care and Glycosylated Hemoglobin in an insured populationLeslie Spangler
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1753-8. 2010..Compare GHb among people with diabetes who have and have not received periodontal care...
- e-Care for heart wellness: a feasibility trial to decrease blood pressure and cardiovascular riskBeverly B Green
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, Washington Electronic address
Am J Prev Med 46:368-77. 2014..Pharmacist- or nurse-led team care decreases patient blood pressure (BP) and cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk...
- Perspectives of cancer survivors on the role of different healthcare providers in an integrated delivery systemJessica Chubak
Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA, 98101, USA
J Cancer Surviv 8:229-38. 2014..The purpose of this paper is to describe patient perspectives on survivorship care 1 year after cancer diagnosis...
- Electronic health risk assessment adoption in an integrated healthcare systemDiana S M Buist
Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Ave, Ste 1600, Seattle, WA 98101 E mail
Am J Manag Care 20:62-9. 2014..To examine uptake patterns of the electronic health risk assessment (eHRA) and compare characteristics of early adopters among adults in 1 healthcare system with those of the potentially eligible population...
- Physician-patient colorectal cancer screening discussions by physicians' screening ratesCathleen M O'Farrell
Department of Family Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 4982, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 25:771-81. 2012..To better understand this finding, we explored the relationship between the content of hypothetical patient-physician CRC screening discussions and CRC screening rates in physicians' practices...
- Use of a shared medical record with secure messaging by older patients with diabetesWilliam G Weppner
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes Care 33:2314-9. 2010..Evaluate use of a web-based shared medical record (SMR) between older patients with diabetes and providers...
- Functional status is a confounder of the association of influenza vaccine and risk of all cause mortality in seniorsLisa A Jackson
Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Int J Epidemiol 35:345-52. 2006....
- Biopsy follow-up of prostate-specific antigen testsSteven B Zeliadt
Health Services Research and Development Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Am J Prev Med 42:37-43. 2012....
- Population-based use of mental health services and patterns of delivery among family physicians, 1992 to 2001Diane E Watson
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg
Can J Psychiatry 50:398-406. 2005..To examine 9-year rates of family physician (FP) and psychiatrist use, as well as patterns of mental health services delivery by FPs...
- Generalizing the alcohol outlet-assaultive violence link: evidence from a U.S. midwestern cityRobert J Reid
School of Social Work, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901 1167, USA
Subst Use Misuse 38:1971-82. 2003..Alcohol-outlet density contributed significantly to the explained variance of the regression model and was associated with higher rates of assaultive violence in this midwestern city...
- Continuity of care: a multidisciplinary reviewJeannie L Haggerty
département de médecine familiale, Universite de Montreal, Hôpital Notre Dame Z8910, 1560 Sherbrooke East, Montreal, QC, Canada H2L 4M1
BMJ 327:1219-21. 2003
- Determinants of health status and the influence of primary health care services in Latin America, 1990-98David Moore
Department of Health Care and Epidemiology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z3
Int J Health Plann Manage 18:279-92. 2003....
- Development and validation of the Patient Assessment of Chronic Illness Care (PACIC)Russell E Glasgow
Kaiser Permanente Colorado, Denver, Colorado, USA
Med Care 43:436-44. 2005....
- Continuity of care and cancer screening among health plan enrolleesJoshua J Fenton
Department of Family and Community Medicine and Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
Med Care 46:58-62. 2008..In addition, little is known about the relationship between continuity of care and receipt of colorectal and prostate cancer screening...
- Physician workload in mammographyRebecca Smith-Bindman
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, China Basin Landing, 185 Berry St, STE 350, Lobby 7, Campus Box 0946, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:526-32. 2008..The purpose of our study was to estimate per-physician annual volumes of mammography interpretation...
- Delivery of cancer screening: how important is the preventive health examination?Joshua J Fenton
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:580-5. 2007..Patients and physicians strongly endorse the importance of preventive or periodic health examinations (PHEs). However, the extent to which PHEs contribute to the delivery of cancer screening is uncertain...
- Intimate partner violence in older womenAmy E Bonomi
Department of Human Development and Family Science, The Ohio State University, 1787 Neil Avenue, 135 Campbell Hall, Columbus, OH 43214, USA
Gerontologist 47:34-41. 2007..We describe the prevalence, types, duration, frequency, and severity of intimate partner violence ("partner violence") in older women...
- Are continuity of care and teamwork incompatible?Edward H Wagner
Med Care 45:6-7. 2007
- Comparing apples with apples in clinical populations: applications of the adjusted Clinical Group System in British ColumbiaRobert J Reid
Department of Healthcare and Epidemiology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia
Healthc Manage Forum 15:11-6. 2002..The article describes how adjusted clinical groups are being applied to adjust capitation payments for physician groups in British Columbia's Primary Care Demonstration Project and profiles of physician practice activity...
- Determinants of hospital length of stay among patients with pneumonia admitted to a large Canadian hospital from 1991 to 2001Margaret J McGregor
Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation, Vancouver, British Columbia
Can Respir J 12:365-70. 2005..Pneumonia is a common reason for hospital admission, and the cost of treatment is primarily determined by length of stay (LOS)...
- Tobacco outlet density, cigarette smoking prevalence, and demographics at the county level of analysisN Andrew Peterson
Department of Community and Behavioral Health, University of Iowa, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 5242, USA
Subst Use Misuse 40:1627-35. 2005..Findings are discussed in light of the state's low income inequality. Implications of the study and directions for future research are discussed...
- Assessing population health care need using a claims-based ACG morbidity measure: a validation analysis in the Province of ManitobaRobert J Reid
Centre for Health Services and Policy Research, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Health Serv Res 37:1345-64. 2002..The study included all continuously enrolled residents in the universal health care plan in Manitoba...