Sarah M Greene
Affiliation: Group Health Cooperative
- A framework for making patient-centered care front and centerSarah M Greene
Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, WA, USA
Perm J 16:49-53. 2012..The proposed framework is designed to enable any health system to identify ways in which care could be more patient-centered and move toward a goal of making it a "systems property."..
- Implementing the learning health system: from concept to actionSarah M Greene
Group Health Cooperative, 320 Westlake Avenue North, GHQ E2N, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Ann Intern Med 157:207-10. 2012..Rapid learning must be valued as a health system property to realize its full potential for knowledge generation and application...
- A review finds that multicenter studies face substantial challenges but strategies exist to achieve Institutional Review Board approvalSarah M Greene
Group Health Cooperative Center for Health Studies, 1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 59:784-90. 2006..To characterize the impact of multiple Institutional Review Board (IRB) reviews on multicenter observational research studies, and identify strategies for overcoming the identified challenges...
- Impact of IRB requirements on a multicenter survey of prophylactic mastectomy outcomesSarah M Greene
Group Health Cooperative Center for Health Studies, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Ann Epidemiol 16:275-8. 2006..This study assesses the variability in requirements among six institutional review boards (IRBs) and the resulting protocol variations for a multicenter mailed survey...
- Streamlining research by using existing toolsSarah M Greene
Group Health Cooperative, Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, Washington, USA
Clin Transl Sci 4:266-7. 2011..Through our work, we identified philosophical and operational issues related to disseminating the tool kit to the research community. We explore these issues here, with implications for the nation's investment in biomedical research...
- Efficacy of breast cancer screening in the community according to risk levelJoann G Elmore
School of Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:1035-43. 2005..The efficacy of breast cancer screening in the community may differ from that suggested by the results of randomized trials, and no data have been available on efficacy among women who have different levels of breast cancer risk...
- The quality of cancer patient experience: perspectives of patients, family members, providers and expertsEdward H Wagner
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, Washington, USA
Qual Saf Health Care 19:484-9. 2010..Anecdotes and limited evidence suggest that a significant percentage of cancer patients encounter troublesome problems in the course of their care...
- Diffusion of aromatase inhibitors for breast cancer therapy between 1996 and 2003 in the Cancer Research NetworkErin J Aiello
Group Health Center for Health Studies, 1730 Minor Ave, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 107:397-403. 2008..We evaluated diffusion of aromatase inhibitor dispensings for breast cancer treatment in integrated healthcare delivery systems across the United States...
- Can integrating health literacy into the patient-centered medical home help us weather the perfect storm?Jessica R Ridpath
Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Ave, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Gen Intern Med 27:588-94. 2012..On the journey toward a revitalized health care system, integrating health literacy into the PCMH presents a promising opportunity that deserves consideration...
- Training, quality assurance, and assessment of medical record abstraction in a multisite studyLisa M Reisch
Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
Am J Epidemiol 157:546-51. 2003..Additionally, a masking study with a subsample of subjects may be a feasible and cost-effective alternative to the time- and cost-intensive methodological approach of masking all medical records...
- Understanding high-quality cancer care: a summary of expert perspectivesErin J Aiello Bowles
Group Health Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, Washington 98103, USA
Cancer 112:934-42. 2008..Through interviews with nationally recognized experts in healthcare quality, perspectives on barriers and facilitators to achieving these aims for cancer patients were elicited...
- Results from a randomized trial of a web-based, tailored decision aid for women at high risk for breast cancerMatthew P Banegas
University of Washington, Department of Health Services, Seattle, WA, USA
Patient Educ Couns 91:364-71. 2013..To assess the impact of Guide to Decide (GtD), a web-based, personally-tailored decision aid designed to inform women's decisions about prophylactic tamoxifen and raloxifene use...
- Facilitating health data sharing across diverse practices and communitiesChing Ping Lin
University of Washington, Seattle, WA
AMIA Summits Transl Sci Proc 2010:16-20. 2010..Based on these findings, we discuss system design implications and the need for flexibility in the development of community-based data sharing networks...
- Interest in an online smoking cessation program and effective recruitment strategies: results from Project QuitJennifer B McClure
Group Health Cooperative Center for Health Studies, Seatle, WA 98101, USA
J Med Internet Res 8:e14. 2006..However, there is little data to indicate what percent of smokers are interested in receiving online smoking cessation services or how best to recruit smokers to Internet-based programs...
- Finding common ground: patient-centeredness and evidence-based chronic illness careEdward H Wagner
MacColl Institute for Healthcare Innovation, Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, WA, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:S7-15. 2005..We conclude that the Model is both evidence-based and patient-centered and that these can be properties of health systems, and not just of individual practitioners...
- Looking at research consent forms through a participant-centered lens: the PRISM readability toolkitJessica R Ridpath
Group Health Center for Health Studies, 1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Am J Health Promot 23:371-5. 2009..Among PRISM's ongoing goals is to test the toolkit with populations groups...
- Development and validation of the Patient Assessment of Chronic Illness Care (PACIC)Russell E Glasgow
Kaiser Permanente Colorado, Denver, Colorado, USA
Med Care 43:436-44. 2005....
- A computerized system to facilitate medical record abstraction in cancer research (United States)Ann M Geiger
Department of Research and Evaluation, Southern California Permanente Medical Group, Pasadena, CA 91188, USA
Cancer Causes Control 14:469-76. 2003..To implement a computerized system to gather and transmit medical record information from six sites to a centralized database for two cancer prevention studies...
- Organizational barriers to physician participation in cancer clinical trialsCarol P Somkin
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Am J Manag Care 11:413-21. 2005..To assess barriers to physician participation in cancer clinical trials among oncologists, oncology leaders, and health plan leaders...
- Contentment with quality of life among breast cancer survivors with and without contralateral prophylactic mastectomyAnn M Geiger
Research and Evaluation Department, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Pasadena, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:1350-6. 2006..To understand psychosocial outcomes after prophylactic removal of the contralateral breast in women with unilateral breast cancer...
- Quality of life after bilateral prophylactic mastectomyAnn M Geiger
Research and Evaluation Department, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Pasadena, California 91188, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:686-94. 2007..Bilateral prophylactic mastectomy in women with increased breast cancer risk dramatically reduces breast cancer occurrence but little is known about psychosocial outcomes...
- Survivorship research based in integrated healthcare delivery systems: the Cancer Research NetworkAnn M Geiger
Division of Public Health Sciences, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Cancer 112:2617-26. 2008..The National Cancer Institute funds the Cancer Research Network (CRN) to leverage these capabilities for all types of cancer research, including survivorship...
- Web-based smoking-cessation programs: results of a randomized trialVictor J Strecher
Center for Health Communications Research, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0471, USA
Am J Prev Med 34:373-81. 2008..This study aimed to (1) identify active psychosocial and communication components of a web-based smoking-cessation intervention and (2) examine the impact of increasing the tailoring depth on smoking cessation...
- Positive, negative, and disparate--women's differing long-term psychosocial experiences of bilateral or contralateral prophylactic mastectomyAndrea Altschuler
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Breast J 14:25-32. 2008..This dichotomy could be an important factor to discuss in counseling women considering the procedure...
- How health care systems can begin to address the challenge of limited literacyMichael K Paasche-Orlow
Section of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:884-7. 2006
- What women wish they knew before prophylactic mastectomySharon J Rolnick
HealthPartners Research Foundation, Minneapolis, MN 55440 1524, USA
Cancer Nurs 30:285-91; quiz 292-3. 2007..Clinicians and health educators should be aware of patient needs and must counsel women accordingly...
- Surveying physicians: do components of the "Total Design Approach" to optimizing survey response rates apply to physicians?Terry S Field
Meyers Primary Care Institute, Fallon Healthcare System, Worcester, Massachusetts 01605, USA
Med Care 40:596-605. 2002..The impact of this approach on response rates among physicians is uncertain...