Andrew A Parsons
Affiliation: GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development
- Cortical spreading depression: its role in migraine pathogenesis and possible therapeutic intervention strategiesAndrew A Parsons
Neurology and GI Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, New Frontiers Science Park, GlaxoSmithKline, Harlow, Essex CM19 5AW, UK
Curr Pain Headache Rep 8:410-6. 2004..The aim of this review is to highlight recent key advances regarding our understanding of CSD in animal and human studies and its relevance to the pathophysiology of migraine and its potential treatment options...
- The neuronal versus vascular hypothesis of migraine and cortical spreading depressionAndrew A Parsons
Neurology Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, Third Avenue, Harlow CM19 5AD, UK
Curr Opin Pharmacol 3:73-7. 2003....
- Programmable microchip monitoring of post-stroke pyrexia: effects of aspirin and paracetamol on temperature and infarct size in the ratJeffrey J Legos
GlaxoSmithKline, High Throughput Biology, Discovery Research, 709 Swedeland Road, PO Box 1539, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
J Neurosci Methods 113:159-66. 2002..However, a full characterization of these pyretic changes and the effects of anti-pyretic drugs on outcome is not available...
- A novel behavioural registration system LABORAS and the social interaction paradigm detect long-term functional deficits following middle cerebral artery occlusion in the ratLeann P Quinn
Neurology and GI CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, New Frontiers Science Park, Third Avenue, Harlow, Essex CMI9 5AW, UK
Brain Res 1031:118-24. 2005..Transient MCAO in rats may therefore provide a pre-clinical model to investigate agents offering symptomatic relief for ischaemia-induced motor deficits and anxiety over time following injury...
- Cognitive correlates of Abeta deposition in male and female mice bearing amyloid precursor protein and presenilin-1 mutant transgenesDavid R Howlett
Neurology and GI CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development Limited, New Frontiers Science Park, Third Avenue, Harlow, Essex, CM19 5AW, UK
Brain Res 1017:130-6. 2004..These results suggest that the cognitive impairment in TASTPM mice is related to the disruption of neural connectivity and not simply Abeta deposition, which first occurs 3 months earlier...
- A new primate model of focal stroke: endothelin-1-induced middle cerebral artery occlusion and reperfusion in the common marmosetDavid Virley
Neurology and GI CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, Harlow, Essex, United Kingdom
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 24:24-41. 2004..These results show that this novel model of ischemia with reperfusion in the marmoset has the potential to assess long-term function and to gauge the efficacy of novel therapeutic strategies targeted for clinical stroke...
- Treatments for strokeIsabel J Beresford
Neurology and GI Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development Ltd, New Frontiers Science Park, Third Avenue, Harlow, Essex CM19 5AW, UK
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 8:103-22. 2003..Promotion of recovery following stroke offers enormous potential for successful therapeutic intervention. Excitingly, new developments in preclinical research have identified possible ways in which this may be achieved...
- Eletriptan PfizerPaul J L M Strijbos
Neurology Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline, Third Avenue, Harlow, Essex, CM19 5AD, UK
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 3:1359-68. 2002..Eletriptan pharmacology has also been evaluated in vitro in comparison with zolmitriptan (AstraZeneca plc) and naratriptan (GlaxoSmithKline plc) ...
- The selective p38 inhibitor SB-239063 protects primary neurons from mild to moderate excitotoxic injuryJeffrey J Legos
High Throughput Biology, Discovery Research, GlaxoSmithKline, PO Box 1539, Mail Code UW 2523, 709 Swedeland Road, 19406, King of Prussia, PA, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 447:37-42. 2002....
- Inhibition of factor IX(a) is protective in a rat model of thromboembolic strokeJohn R Toomey
Department of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, GlaxoSmithKline, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
Stroke 33:578-85. 2002..In this study, using a rat thromboembolic stroke model, we investigated the use of an inhibitory anti-factor IX(a) monoclonal antibody (SB 249417) for the treatment of thromboembolic stroke and compared its efficacy to that of tPA...
- Identification of neuroprotective properties of anti-MAG antibody: a novel approach for the treatment of stroke?Elaine A Irving
Neurology and GI CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development Limited, New Frontiers Science Park, Harlow, Essex, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 25:98-107. 2005..Together, these data highlight the potential for the use of anti-MAG antibodies as therapeutic agents for the treatment of stroke...
- Regulation of calcitonin gene-related peptide release from rat trigeminal nucleus caudalis slices in vitroDavid W Jenkins
Neurology Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline, Cold Harbour Road, Harlow, Essex CM 19 5AW, UK
Neurosci Lett 366:241-4. 2004....
- A delayed class of BOLD waveforms associated with spreading depression in the feline cerebral cortex can be detected and characterised using independent component analysis (ICA)Chaiyapoj Netsiri
Physiological Laboratory, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, CB2 3EG Cambridge, UK
Magn Reson Imaging 21:1097-110. 2003....
- Cortical spreading depression in the feline brain following sustained and transient stimuli studied using diffusion-weighted imagingDaniel P Bradley
Physiological Laboratory, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, UK
J Physiol 544:39-56. 2002..ADC changes associated with CSD thus persist at times well after stimulus withdrawal and vary markedly with the nature of the initiating stimulus even in brain regions remote from the stimulus site...
- Expression of the complement C3a and C5a receptors after permanent focal ischemia: An alternative interpretationScott R Barnum
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama, Birmingham, 35294, USA
Glia 38:169-73. 2002..This latter result highlights the importance of including this important control group in ischemic model systems for proper interpretation of changes in gene expression...