Shamik J Parikh
Affiliation: GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development
- The relationship between obesity and serum 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D concentrations in healthy adultsShamik J Parikh
GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, King of Prussia, Pennsylvania 19406, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:1196-9. 2004..We conclude that, because 1,25-vit D concentrations fall with increasing adiposity, it appears unlikely that elevation in 1,25-vit D is an important hormonal mechanism causing or maintaining obesity in adults...
- Rosiglitazone increases LDL particle size and buoyancy and decreases C-reactive protein in patients with type 2 diabetes on statin therapyDahong Yu
GlaxoSmithKline, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
Diab Vasc Dis Res 3:189-96. 2006..However, the increase in IDL may be proatherogenic and must be considered when assessing the benefits of rosiglitazone...
- Indices of insulin action, disposal, and secretion derived from fasting samples and clamps in normal glucose-tolerant black and white childrenGabriel I Uwaifo
Unit on Growth and Obesity, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Diabetes Care 25:2081-7. 2002..These results, if replicated in similarly diverse populations, suggest that estimates based on fasting samples can be used to rank order insulin secretion and sensitivity in pediatric cohorts...
- Calcium intake and adiposityShamik J Parikh
Unit on Growth and Obesity, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1862, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 77:281-7. 2003..We suggest that these data support the need for large, population based clinical trials to assess the effects of supplemental calcium and other components of dairy products on human body weight...
- The prevalence of hypovitaminosis D and secondary hyperparathyroidism in obese Black AmericansLisa B Yanoff
Unit on Growth and Obesity, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892-1103, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 64:523-9. 2006..Physicians should consider routinely supplementing such patients with vitamin D or screening them for hypovitaminosis D...