Charles H Large
Affiliation: GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development
- The relationship between sodium channel inhibition and anticonvulsant activity in a model of generalised seizure in the ratCharles H Large
epartment of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Neuroscience Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, Medicines Research Centre, GlaxoSmithKline S p A, Via Fleming 4, Verona 37135, Italy
Epilepsy Res 85:96-106. 2009..We found that a higher unbound concentration of the drug in the brain was required for anticonvulsant efficacy than would be expected given its sodium channel blocking potency...
- Neural network dysfunction in bipolar depression: clues from the efficacy of lamotrigineCharles H Large
Neurosciences Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, Medicines Research Centre, GlaxoSmithKline S p A, Via Fleming 4, 37135, Verona, Italy
Biochem Soc Trans 37:1080-4. 2009..The results are also consistent with the notion of corticolimbic network dysfunction in bipolar disorder...
- Do NMDA receptor antagonist models of schizophrenia predict the clinical efficacy of antipsychotic drugs?Charles H Large
Psychiatry CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline, Via Fleming 4, 37135 Verona, Italy
J Psychopharmacol 21:283-301. 2007....
- The potential role of lamotrigine in schizophreniaCharles H Large
Department of Neuropharmacology, Psychiatry CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline SpA, Via Fleming 4, 37135, Verona, Italy
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 181:415-36. 2005..Furthermore, lamotrigine, which can modulate glutamate release, may add to or synergise with atypical antipsychotic drugs, some of which may themselves modulate glutamate transmission...
- The relationship between lamotrigine concentration and change in resting motor threshold in a rodent model of motor cortex stimulationDavid M Sokal
Department of Biology, Neurosciences Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, Medicines Research Centre, GlaxoSmithKline SpA, Verona, Italy
Epilepsy Res 83:103-11. 2009....
- Effects of lamotrigine on PCP-evoked elevations in monoamine levels in the medial prefrontal cortex of freely moving ratsDavide Quarta
Mood and Anxiety DPU, Neurosciences CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline Medicines Research Centre, Verona, Italy
J Psychopharmacol 25:1703-11. 2011..The dissociation between monoamine overflow and locomotor activity suggests the involvement of different brain circuits; relevance to the treatment of schizophrenia is also discussed...
- The spectrum of anticonvulsant efficacy of retigabine (ezogabine) in animal models: implications for clinical useCharles H Large
Medicines Research Centre, GlaxoSmithKline S p A, Verona, Italy
Epilepsia 53:425-36. 2012....
- The efficacy of sodium channel blockers to prevent phencyclidine-induced cognitive dysfunction in the rat: potential for novel treatments for schizophreniaCharles H Large
Neuroscience Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, Medicines Research Centre, GlaxoSmithKline SpA, Verona, Italy
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 338:100-13. 2011....
- AMN082, an allosteric mGluR7 agonist that inhibits afferent glutamatergic transmission in rat basolateral amygdalaAnnarosa Ugolini
Department of Biology, Neuroscience Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, Psychiatry CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline Medicines Research Centre S p A, Via Fleming 4, 37135 Verona, Italy
Neuropharmacology 55:532-6. 2008..These results suggest that mGLUR7 has a unique role in regulating neuronal activity in the BLA and may be a target for novel drugs for the treatment of anxiety...
- Effects of GABA(B), 5-HT(1A), and 5-HT(2) receptor stimulation on activation and inhibition of the rat lateral amygdala following medial geniculate nucleus stimulation in vivoDavid M Sokal
Psychiatry CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline S p A, Via A Fleming 4, Verona 37135, Italy
Brain Res 1031:141-50. 2005..The results support the use of in vivo field potential recording within the MGN-lateral amygdala pathway to evaluate this as a possible site of action for novel anxiolytic drugs...
- Effects of lamotrigine and levetiracetam on seizure development in a rat amygdala kindling modelSharon C Stratton
Neurology and GI Centre of Excellence for Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline, New Frontiers Science Park, Third Avenue, Harlow, CM19 5AW, Essex, UK
Epilepsy Res 53:95-106. 2003..These results suggest that lamotrigine, like levetiracetam, possesses the ability to counteract kindling acquisition, which differentiates it from other drugs with sodium channel blocking activity...
- The CB1 receptor antagonist, SR141716A, prevents high-frequency stimulation-induced reduction of feedback inhibition in the rat dentate gyrus following perforant path stimulation in vivoDavid M Sokal
Department of Biology, Psychiatry CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline Medicines Research Centre, Via A Fleming 4, Verona, Italy
Brain Res 1223:50-8. 2008..We suggest that CB(1) activation during HFS of the medial perforant path increases glutamate release from perforant path synapses, but inhibits release of GABA from local circuit interneurons...
- A Novel Modulator of Kv3 Potassium Channels Regulates the Firing of Parvalbumin-Positive Cortical InterneuronsMarcelo D Rosato-Siri
Autifony s r l, Verona, Italy M D R S, G A Aptuit s r l, Verona, Italy E Z, C M, N G, R B, L A, C V Medicines Research Centre, GlaxoSmithKline S p A, Verona, Italy F G and Autifony Therapeutics Limited, Imperial College Incubator, London, United Kingdom C H L
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 354:251-60. 2015....
- The mechanism of action of retigabine (ezogabine), a first-in-class K+ channel opener for the treatment of epilepsyMartin J Gunthorpe
New Frontiers Science Park, GlaxoSmithKline plc, Harlow, Essex, United Kingdom
Epilepsia 53:412-24. 2012....
- Differential effects of antipsychotic and glutamatergic agents on the phMRI response to phencyclidineAlessandro Gozzi
Department of Biology, Psychiatry CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline Medicines Research Centre, Verona, Italy
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:1690-703. 2008..Finally, the thalamic effect of clozapine could be key to elucidating the functional basis of its pharmacological action...
- Modulation of high-frequency oscillations associated with NMDA receptor hypofunction in the rodent nucleus accumbens by lamotrigineMark J Hunt
Laboratory of the Limbic System, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, 3 Pasteur Street, 02 093 Warsaw, Poland
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:1312-9. 2008....
- Lamotrigine prevents ketamine but not amphetamine-induced deficits in prepulse inhibition in miceSuzanne A Brody
Department of Psychiatry and Neurosciences, University of California, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92093 0804, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 169:240-6. 2003..Acutely manic bipolar patients, like persons with schizophrenia, Tourette's, and obsessive compulsive disorder, exhibit decreases in sensorimotor gating, as measured by prepulse inhibition of the startle response (PPI)...
- An investigation of the efficacy of mood stabilizers in rodent models of prepulse inhibitionJacob C Ong
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093 0804, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 315:1163-71. 2005..Hence, further studies using these dopaminergic and glutamatergic models of deficient PPI may provide valuable insights into the mechanisms underlying the differential therapeutic effects of antimanic and mood-stabilizing treatments...
- Effect of lamotrigine treatment on epileptogenesis: an experimental study in ratJari Nissinen
A I Virtanen Institute, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Epilepsy Res 58:119-32. 2004..These data, together with earlier studies of other antiepileptic drugs, suggest that strategies other than Na(+)-channel blockade should be explored to modulate the molecular cascades leading to epileptogenesis after SE...