Manuel T Velasquez
Affiliation: George Washington University
- Dietary flaxseed meal reduces proteinuria and ameliorates nephropathy in an animal model of type II diabetes mellitusManuel T Velasquez
Department of Medicine, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Kidney Int 64:2100-7. 2003....
- Osteoarthritis: another component of metabolic syndrome?Manuel T Velasquez
Division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, The George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia 20037, USA
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 8:295-305. 2010..Indeed, OA has been linked not only to obesity but also to other cardiovascular risk factors, namely, diabetes, dyslipidemia, hypertension, and insulin resistance...
- Role of dietary soy protein in obesityManuel T Velasquez
Department of Medicine, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Int J Med Sci 4:72-82. 2007..In addition, the potential of soy protein in causing food allergy in humans is briefly discussed...
- Beneficial role of dietary phytoestrogens in obesity and diabetesSam J Bhathena
Phytonutrients Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 76:1191-201. 2002..Further investigations are needed to evaluate the long-term effects of phytoestrogens on obesity and diabetes mellitus and their associated possible complications...
- Dietary flaxseed meal is more protective than soy protein concentrate against hypertriglyceridemia and steatosis of the liver in an animal model of obesitySam J Bhathena
Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, U S Department of Agriculture, Bldg 307 Room 315, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 22:157-64. 2003..We compared the effects of dietary soy protein and flaxseed meal with that of casein on plasma and liver lipids in a genetic model of obesity, type II diabetes and insulin resistance, namely the SHR/N-cp rat...
- Effects of soybean isoflavones, probiotics, and their interactions on lipid metabolism and endocrine system in an animal model of obesity and diabetesAli A Ali
Phytonutrients Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Building 307, Room 315, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Nutr Biochem 15:583-90. 2004..Thus, our data show that soy isoflavones also lower plasma cholesterol and that this hypocholesterolemic effect appears to be due in part to the modulation of steroid hormones. Probiotics do not seem to enhance the effect of isoflavones...
- Modulation of carbohydrate metabolism and peptide hormones by soybean isoflavones and probiotics in obesity and diabetesAli A Ali
Phytonutrients Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, MD 20705, USA
J Nutr Biochem 16:693-9. 2005..When lipid levels are very high as in obese rats, isoflavones fail to lower plasma triglyceride levels. Probiotics do not appear to enhance the effect of isoflavones...