Affiliation: Geisinger Medical Center
- Seasonal pattern of the acute mortality effects of air pollutionZhengmin Qian
Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA, USA
J Air Waste Manag Assoc 60:481-8. 2010..13 to 1.04%) for summer, and -0.21% (95% CI: -0.54 to 0.12%) for fall. The results show a clear seasonal pattern of acute mortality effects of ambient air pollution and the strongest effects occurred during winter in the study city...
- Interaction of ambient air pollution with asthma medication on exhaled nitric oxide among asthmaticsZhengmin Qian
Department of Public Health Sciences, Penn State University and the Geisinger Center for Health Research, USA
Arch Environ Occup Health 64:168-76. 2009..This study indicates that the current pollution levels may still enhance airway inflammation among patients with persistent asthma even when they are on asthma medications...
- Associations between air pollution and peak expiratory flow among patients with persistent asthmaZhengmin Qian
Department of Public Health Sciences, Pennsylvania State University, Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 72:39-46. 2009..The results show that the two medication regimens protected against the effects of PM(10). However, salmeterol increased the sensitivity to NO2 and triamcinalone enhanced the sensitivity to SO2...
- High temperatures enhanced acute mortality effects of ambient particle pollution in the "oven" city of Wuhan, ChinaZhengmin Qian
Department of Public Health Sciences, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:1172-8. 2008..Wuhan has been called an "oven" city because of its hot summers. Approximately 4.5 million permanent residents live in the 201-km(2) core area of the city...
- Short-term effects of gaseous pollutants on cause-specific mortality in Wuhan, ChinaZhengmin Qian
Health Evaluation Sciences, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033 0855, USA
J Air Waste Manag Assoc 57:785-93. 2007..We conclude that there is consistent evidence of acute effects of NO2 on mortality and suggest that a no-threshold linear relationship exists between NO2 and mortality...
- Association of daily cause-specific mortality with ambient particle air pollution in Wuhan, ChinaZhengmin Qian
Health Evaluation Sciences, Penn State College of Medicine, A210, 600 Centerview Drive, P O Box 855, Hershey, PA 17033 0855, USA
Environ Res 105:380-9. 2007..We conclude that there is consistent evidence of acute effects of PM(10) on cardiopulmonary mortality. A linear no threshold exposure-response relationship is suggested between PM(10) and the studied cause-specific mortality...
- Factor analysis of household factors: are they associated with respiratory conditions in Chinese children?Zhengmin Qian
Department of Health Evaluation Sciences, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 600 Centerview Drive, PO Box 855, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Int J Epidemiol 33:582-8. 2004..We explored methods to develop uncorrelated variables for epidemiological analysis models. They were used to examine associations between respiratory health outcomes and multiple household risk factors...
- Lung function and long-term exposure to air pollutants in middle-aged American adultsZhengmin Qian
Department of Health Evaluation Sciences, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 17033 0855, USA
Arch Environ Occup Health 60:156-63. 2005..Moreover, center-specific associations between PM10 and pulmonary function were not significant, possibly as a result of the homogeneity of within-center exposures...
- Evolution of lower respiratory symptoms in New York police officers after 9/11: a prospective longitudinal studyLarisa V Buyantseva
Department of Medicine, Penn State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Occup Environ Med 49:310-7. 2007..We studied the evolution of lower respiratory symptoms at 1 month (initial) and 19 months (follow-up) after the collapse of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 (9/11)...
- Exposure-response relationships between lifetime exposure to residential coal smoke and respiratory symptoms and illnesses in Chinese childrenZhengmin Qian
Department of Health Evaluation Sciences, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 14:S78-84. 2004..We conclude that exposure to heating coal smoke could have adverse effects on children's respiratory symptoms and illnesses in these four Chinese cities...
- Conclusions and recommendations of the expert panel: technical workshop on human milk surveillance and biomonitoring for environmental chemicals in the United StatesCheston M Berlin
Department of Pediatrics, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 68:1825-31. 2005
- Exploring uncertainty of the change from ICD-9 to ICD-10 on acute mortality effects of air pollutionZhengmin Qian
Penn State College of Medicine, USA
Environ Int 34:248-53. 2008....
- Human milk research for answering questions about human healthRichard Y Wang
National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 68:1771-801. 2005..Human milk research designed to answer questions regarding health will require additional resources to meet these objectives...
- Collection and use of exposure data from human milk biomonitoring in the United StatesSuzanne E Fenton
National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Office of Research and Development, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27711, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 68:1691-712. 2005..This article describes how the collection and use of exposure data from human milk biomonitoring in the United States can be designed to inform future research and policy...
- Using air pollution based community clusters to explore air pollution health effects in childrenZhengmin Qian
National Center for Environmental Assessment, US Environmental Protection Agency, Mail Drop B243 01, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, USA
Environ Int 30:611-20. 2004..We found evidence that exposure to the pollutant mixtures had adverse effects on children living in the four Chinese cities...