Joseph M Unger
Affiliation: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Patient income level and cancer clinical trial participationJoseph M Unger
SWOG Statistical Center, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, M3 C102, 1100 Fairview Ave, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Clin Oncol 31:536-42. 2013..Studies have shown an association between socioeconomic status (SES) and quality of oncology care, but less is known about the impact of patient SES on clinical trial participation...
- The person-years saved model and other methodologies for assessing the population impact of cancer-prevention strategiesJoseph M Unger
Southwest Oncology Group Statistical Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Urol Oncol 22:362-8. 2004..Future models may use other outcomes to assess population impact, including economic, quality-of-life, or various combinations of outcomes...
- Impact of the year 2000 Medicare policy change on older patient enrollment to cancer clinical trialsJoseph M Unger
Southwest Oncology Group Statistical Center, Seattle, WA, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:141-4. 2006..Recognition of this under-representation led to a change in Medicare policy in 2000 to include coverage of routine patient care costs of clinical trials. We conducted an updated analysis of accrual trends...
- Phase III randomized intergroup trial of CHOP plus rituximab compared with CHOP chemotherapy plus (131)iodine-tositumomab for previously untreated follicular non-Hodgkin lymphoma: SWOG S0016Oliver W Press
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, D3 190, 1100 Fairview Ave, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Clin Oncol 31:314-20. 2013....
- Total body irradiation, etoposide, cyclophosphamide, and autologous peripheral blood stem-cell transplantation followed by randomization to therapy with interleukin-2 versus observation for patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma: results of a phase 3 randomizJohn A Thompson
Puget Sound Oncology Consortium, Seattle, WA, USA
Blood 111:4048-54. 2008..Posttransplantation IL-2 given at this dose and schedule of administration had no significant effect on PFS or OS. This study is registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00002649...
- Comparison of survival outcomes among cancer patients treated in and out of clinical trialsJoseph M Unger
Affiliations of authors SWOG Statistical Center, Public Health Sciences Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA JMU, WEB, ML University of Washington, Department of Health Services Research, Seattle, WA DPM Public Health Sciences Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA SDR, RE Division of Hematology Oncology, Columbia University, New York, NY DLH
J Natl Cancer Inst 106:dju002. 2014..Clinical trials test the efficacy of a treatment in a select patient population. We examined whether cancer clinical trial patients were similar to nontrial, "real-world" patients with respect to presenting characteristics and survival...
- Estimated impact of the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial on population mortalityJoseph M Unger
Southwest Oncology Group Statistical Center, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
Cancer 103:1375-80. 2005..0% in the PCPT placebo arm vs. 11.9% in the PCPT finasteride arm). Whether the increased Gleason score was valid or was a histologic artifact is under investigation...
- A prospective analysis of the influence of older age on physician and patient decision-making when considering enrollment in breast cancer clinical trials (SWOG S0316)Sara H Javid
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Washington Medical Center, 1959 NE Pacific St, Seattle, WA 98195 6410, USA
Oncologist 17:1180-90. 2012..Patients older than 65 years are underrepresented in clinical trials. We conducted a prospective study (SWOG S0316) to determine physician- and patient-perceived barriers to breast cancer clinical trial enrollment for older patients...
- Health-related quality of life results in pathologic stage C prostate cancer from a Southwest Oncology Group trial comparing radical prostatectomy alone with radical prostatectomy plus radiation therapyCarol M Moinpour
Southwest Oncology Group Statistical Center, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:112-20. 2008..To compare short- and long-term effects of adjuvant treatment versus observation after surgery on health-related quality of life (HRQL) of prostate cancer patients...
- Estimating the impact of new clinical trial proven cancer therapy and cancer chemoprevention on population mortality: the Karnofsky Memorial lectureJoseph M Unger
Southwest Oncology Group Statistical Center and the Puget Sound Oncology Consortium, Seattle, WA, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:246s-252s. 2003..Meanwhile the prevention of cancer has received less attention...
- Randomized Multicenter Placebo-Controlled Trial of Omega-3 Fatty Acids for the Control of Aromatase Inhibitor-Induced Musculoskeletal Pain: SWOG S0927Dawn L Hershman
Dawn L Hershman, Katherine D Crew, Danielle Awad, and Heather Greenlee, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY Joseph M Unger, Danika L Lew, and Cathee Till, Southwest Oncology Group Statistical Center Joseph M Unger, Julie Gralow, Danika L Lew, Cathee Till, and Carol M Moinpour, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA Shaker R Dakhil, Cancer Center of Kansas, Wichita, KS Lori M Minasian, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD James L Wade III, Central Illinois Community Clinical Oncology Program Cancer Care Specialists of Central Illinois, Decatur, IL and Frank L Meyskens, University of California at Irvine, Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, Orange, CA
J Clin Oncol 33:1910-7. 2015..Omega-3 fatty acids (O3-FAs) can be effective in decreasing arthralgia resulting from rheumatologic conditions and reducing serum triglycerides...
- Phase II trial of CHOP chemotherapy followed by tositumomab/iodine I-131 tositumomab for previously untreated follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: five-year follow-up of Southwest Oncology Group Protocol S9911Oliver W Press
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:4143-9. 2006..This study was performed to determine the efficacy of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone (CHOP) chemotherapy followed by tositumomab/iodine I-131 tositumomab...
- Risk assessment in localized primary cutaneous melanoma: a Southwest Oncology Group study evaluating nine factors and a test of the Clark logistic regression prediction modelRalph J Tuthill
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH 44195, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 118:504-11. 2002..9%) of 166 patients and accurately predicted melanoma-specific mortality in 32 (43%) of 74 patients. The combined or overall accuracy of the Clark model was only 64%...