Affiliation: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Study design considerations for evaluating efficacy of systemic preexposure prophylaxis interventionsDeborah Donnell
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 63:S130-4. 2013..This development is particularly complex because of inconsistency of efficacy results of FTC/TDF PrEP trials for HIV prevention...
- Heterosexual HIV-1 transmission after initiation of antiretroviral therapy: a prospective cohort analysisDeborah Donnell
Statistical Center for HIV AIDS Research and Prevention and the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Lancet 375:2092-8. 2010..Initiation of antiretroviral therapy (ART) reduces plasma HIV-1 concentrations. We aimed to assess the effect of ART use by patients infected with HIV-1 on risk of transmission to their uninfected partners...
- Hormonal contraceptive use and risk of HIV-1 disease progressionRenee Heffron
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
AIDS 27:261-7. 2013..For HIV-1-infected women, hormonal contraception prevents unintended pregnancy, excess maternal morbidity, and vertical HIV-1 transmission. Hormonal contraceptives are widely used but their effects on HIV-1 disease progression are unclear...
- Antiretroviral prophylaxis for HIV prevention in heterosexual men and womenJared M Baeten
Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
N Engl J Med 367:399-410. 2012..Antiretroviral preexposure prophylaxis is a promising approach for preventing human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) infection in heterosexual populations...
- Use of hormonal contraceptives and risk of HIV-1 transmission: a prospective cohort studyRenee Heffron
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 12:19-26. 2012..We aimed to assess the association between hormonal contraceptive use and risk of HIV-1 acquisition by women and HIV-1 transmission from HIV-1-infected women to their male partners...
- Outside sexual partnerships and risk of HIV acquisition for HIV uninfected partners in African HIV serodiscordant partnershipsPatrick Ndase
Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, 98104, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 59:65-71. 2012..As African countries scale-up couples HIV testing, little is known about sexual behaviors and HIV risk for HIV-uninfected partners in known HIV-serodiscordant relationships...
- Genital HIV-1 RNA predicts risk of heterosexual HIV-1 transmissionJared M Baeten
Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Sci Transl Med 3:77ra29. 2011..These data suggest that HIV-1 RNA in genital secretions could be used as a marker of HIV-1 sexual transmission risk...
- Statistical considerations for the HPTN 052 Study to evaluate the effectiveness of early versus delayed antiretroviral strategies to prevent the sexual transmission of HIV-1 in serodiscordant couplesYing Qing Chen
Statistical Center for HIV Aids Research and Prevention, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 33:1280-6. 2012..Nevertheless, the durability of its long-term effectiveness is yet to be assessed. The HPTN 052 Study is still ongoing and will not complete till 2015...
- Challenges in the design of HIV prevention trials in the United StatesDeborah Donnell
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55:S136-40. 2010..However, for interventions where efficacy is already established, conducting trials that test different implementation strategies in these populations could provide definitive evidence about how to achieve high levels of coverage...
- Use of non-occupational post-exposure prophylaxis does not lead to an increase in high risk sex behaviors in men who have sex with men participating in the EXPLORE trialDeborah Donnell
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Ctr, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
AIDS Behav 14:1182-9. 2010....