Genomes and Genes
Veda N Giri
Affiliation: Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Prevalence and correlates of vitamin D status in African American menMarilyn Tseng
Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
BMC Public Health 9:191. 2009..Few studies have examined vitamin D insufficiency in African American men although they are at very high risk. We examined the prevalence and correlates of vitamin D insufficiency among African American men in Philadelphia...
- Prostate cancer risk assessment program: a 10-year update of cancer detectionVeda N Giri
Department of Medical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19012, USA
J Urol 178:1920-4; discussion 1924. 2007..Guidelines for screening men at high risk for prostate cancer remain under investigation. We report our 10-year cancer detection data from the Prostate Cancer Risk Assessment Program, a longitudinal screening program for men at high risk...
- Racial differences in prediction of time to prostate cancer diagnosis in a prospective screening cohort of high-risk men: effect of TMPRSS2 Met160ValVeda N Giri
Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Department of Clinical Genetics, Surgical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
BJU Int 107:466-70. 2011....
- Prostate cancer early detection program recruitment methods and show rates in men at high riskVeda N Giri
Cancer Screening Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Urol 182:2212-7. 2009..We report a comprehensive analysis of recruitment methods, show rates and participant factors from the Prostate Cancer Risk Assessment Program, a prospective, longitudinal prostate cancer screening study...
- Race, genetic West African ancestry, and prostate cancer prediction by prostate-specific antigen in prospectively screened high-risk menVeda N Giri
Division of Population Sciences and Department of Medical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2:244-50. 2009..Large-scale studies are needed to confirm if genetic WA ancestry explains these findings to make progress in personalizing prostate cancer early detection...
- Assessing the clinical role of genetic markers of early-onset prostate cancer among high-risk men enrolled in prostate cancer early detectionLucinda Hughes
Department of Clinical Genetics, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 21:53-60. 2012..We evaluated clinical information from six polymorphisms associated with early-onset prostate cancer in a longitudinal cohort of high-risk men enrolled in prostate cancer early detection with significant African American participation...
- Evaluation of the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial Risk calculator in a high-risk screening populationDavid J Kaplan
Department of Surgical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, USA
BJU Int 105:334-7. 2010..Diagnostic (exploratory cohort)...
- Validation of association of genetic variants at 10q with prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels in men at high risk for prostate cancerBao Li Chang
Center for Applied Genomics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, USA
BJU Int 113:E150-6. 2014....
- Substantial family history of prostate cancer in black men recruited for prostate cancer screening: results from the Prostate Cancer Risk Assessment ProgramKathleen Mastalski
Division of Population Sciences, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Cancer 113:2559-64. 2008..Previous reports have raised concern for suboptimal screening of black men with an FH of PCA. The extent of FH of PCA are reported from a prospective, longitudinal PCA screening program for high-risk men...
- Rates and predictors of colorectal cancer screening by race among motivated men participating in a Prostate Cancer Risk Assessment ProgramMichael J Hall
Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Cancer 118:478-84. 2012..If present, such disparities could support hypotheses for further research examining racial differences in awareness and patient preferences in undergoing CRC screening...
- A systematic review of replication studies of prostate cancer susceptibility genetic variants in high-risk men originally identified from genome-wide association studiesMiriam B Ishak
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20:1599-610. 2011..This article provides a detailed review of published studies of prostate cancer-associated genetic variants originally identified in GWAS and replicated in high-risk populations...
- Using focus groups to adapt ethnically appropriate, information-seeking and recruitment messages for a prostate cancer screening program for men at high riskCharlene J Bryan
School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, PA, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 100:674-82. 2008..To adapt ethnically appropriate radio and newspaper messages in order to increase information-seeking and recruitment to the high-risk Prostate Cancer Risk Assessment Program (PRAP) using input from focus groups...
- Global patterns of prostate cancer incidence, aggressiveness, and mortality in men of african descentTimothy R Rebbeck
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 217 Blockley Hall, 423 Guardian Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Prostate Cancer 2013:560857. 2013..This finding suggests that CaP is underdiagnosed and/or underreported in SSA men. Nonetheless, CaP incidence and mortality represent a significant public health problem in men of African descent around the world...
- Prevalence of the HOXB13 G84E Mutation Among Unaffected Men with a Family History of Prostate CancerElizabeth Handorf
Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Genet Couns 23:371-6. 2014..While the HOXB13 G84E mutation may be rare, there may be a future role in genetic testing for this mutation after further studies of clinical utility in assessing prostate cancer risk. ..
- Validation of genome-wide prostate cancer associations in men of African descentBao Li Chang
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 217 Blockley Hall, 423 Guardian Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20:23-32. 2011..There is limited information about the role of these loci in men of African descent...