Affiliation: Fordham University
- Development and validation of a Haitian Creole screening instrument for depressionAndrew Rasmussen
Transcult Psychiatry 52:33-57. 2015..Discussion focuses on the appropriate use of this tool and integrating emic perspectives into developing psychological assessments globally. The screening tool is provided as an Appendix. ..
- Comparing the validity of the self reporting questionnaire and the Afghan symptom checklist: dysphoria, aggression, and gender in transcultural assessment of mental healthAndrew Rasmussen
Fordham University, Dealy Hall 226, 441 East Fordham Rd, Bronx, NY 11215, USA
BMC Psychiatry 14:206. 2014..We examined the construct and external validity of two instruments, one developed for use in Afghanistan, the other developed by the World Health Organization for use in resource-poor settings...
- Posttraumatic stress in emergency settings outside North America and Europe: a review of the emic literatureAndrew Rasmussen
Fordham University, Department of Psychology, 441 East Fordham Rd, Dealy Hall 226, Bronx, NY 10458, USA Electronic address
Soc Sci Med 109:44-54. 2014..Relief efforts would benefit from mental health practitioners getting specific training in culture-bound posttrauma constructs when entering settings beyond the boundaries of the culture of their training and practice...
- The social ecology of resolving family conflict among West African immigrants in New York: a grounded theory approachAndrew Rasmussen
Fordham University, Bronx, NY, USA
Am J Community Psychol 52:185-96. 2013..g., patriarchal protection of abusive husbands) and supporting structures known to be associated with well being (e.g., collective monitoring of youth). ..
- Onset of posttraumatic stress disorder and major depression among refugees and voluntary migrants to the United StatesAndrew Rasmussen
Department of Psychology, Fordham University, Bronx, New York 10458, USA
J Trauma Stress 25:705-12. 2012..65, 1.62], respectively. Although refugees arrive in host countries with more pressing psychiatric needs, onset is comparable over time, suggesting that postmigration refugees and voluntary migrants may be best served by similar programs...
- Responding to secondary traumatic stress: a pilot study of torture treatment programs in the United StatesAdeyinka M Akinsulure-Smith
Department of Psychology, The City College of New York, City University of New York, NY, USA
J Trauma Stress 25:232-5. 2012..The results are discussed in light of challenges that professionals who work with this population face and the effectiveness of support systems available to support their work...
- Defining torture: a review of 40 years of health science researchDebbie Green
Department of Psychology, Fordham University, 441 East Fordham Road, Bronx, New York 10458, USA
J Trauma Stress 23:528-31. 2010..Although there are notable exceptions, the methods used in the torture literature are variable and often undefined, impacting the interpretation of findings of risk factors, consequences, and treatment of torture events...
- Entering exile: trauma, mental health, and coping among Tibetan refugees arriving in Dharamsala, IndiaEmily Sachs
Department of Psychology, Fordham University, Bronx, NY 10458, USA
J Trauma Stress 21:199-208. 2008..The potential impact of other variables, including culturally determined attitudes about trauma and timing of assessment, are discussed...
- "911" Among West African immigrants in New York City: a qualitative study of parents' disciplinary practices and their perceptions of child welfare authoritiesAndrew Rasmussen
Department of Psychology, Fordham University, Bronx, NY, United States
Soc Sci Med 75:516-25. 2012....
- Effects of post-migration factors on PTSD outcomes among immigrant survivors of political violenceTracy Chu
Department of Health and Nutrition Sciences, Brooklyn College, City University of New York, Brooklyn, NY 11210, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 15:890-7. 2013..Discussion focused on the importance of looking at postmigration living conditions when treating trauma in this population. ..