B F Coles
Affiliation: Food and Drug Administration
- Quantitative analysis of interindividual variation of glutathione S-transferase expression in human pancreas and the ambiguity of correlating genotype with phenotypeB F Coles
Division of Molecular Epidemiology, National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, Arkansas 72079, USA
Cancer Res 60:573-9. 2000..Interindividual variation of GST expression is, therefore, a factor that should be taken account of in epidemiological studies...
- Interindividual variation and organ-specific patterns of glutathione S-transferase alpha, mu, and pi expression in gastrointestinal tract mucosa of normal individualsBrian F Coles
Division of Molecular Epidemiology, National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 403:270-6. 2002..This may be a factor in the greater susceptibility of stomach and colon to cancers compared to duodenum/small intestine...
- Effect of polymorphism in the human glutathione S-transferase A1 promoter on hepatic GSTA1 and GSTA2 expressionB F Coles
Division of Molecular Epidemiology, National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, Arkansas 72079 9502, USA
Pharmacogenetics 11:663-9. 2001....
- The role of human glutathione S-transferases (hGSTs) in the detoxification of the food-derived carcinogen metabolite N-acetoxy-PhIP, and the effect of a polymorphism in hGSTA1 on colorectal cancer riskB Coles
Division of Molecular Epidemiology, National Center for Toxicological Research HFT 100, 3900 NCTR Road, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
Mutat Res 482:3-10. 2001....
- Expression of hGSTP1 alleles in human lung and catalytic activity of the native protein variants towards 1-chloro-2,4-dinitrobenzene, 4-vinylpyridine and (+)-anti benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-diol-9,10-oxideB Coles
Division of Molecular Epidemiology, National Center for Toxicological Research, 3900 NCTR Rd, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
Cancer Lett 156:167-75. 2000..Neither the expression of the hGSTP1 alleles nor the catalytic properties of the protein variants appears to provide a simple mechanistic rationale for the observed over-representation of the hGSTP1*B and/or 1*C alleles in lung cancer...
- Detoxification of electrophilic compounds by glutathione S-transferase catalysis: determinants of individual response to chemical carcinogens and chemotherapeutic drugs?Brian F Coles
National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, AR 72079 9502, USA
Biofactors 17:115-30. 2003..Mechanistic models for chemical aspects of colorectal cancer and chemotherapy for breast cancer demonstrate some of the ways by which such interactions can be studied and the potential for future studies...
- Association between survival after treatment for breast cancer and glutathione S-transferase P1 Ile105Val polymorphismC Sweeney
National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, Arkansas 72079, USA
Cancer Res 60:5621-4. 2000..8 (95% confidence interval, 0.5-1.3) for Ile/Val and 0.3 (95% confidence interval, 0.1-1.0) for Val/Val (P for trend = 0.04). Inherited metabolic variability may influence treatment outcomes...
- Purification and characterization of a glutathione S-transferase from the fungus Cunninghamella elegansC J Cha
Division of Microbiology, National Center for Toxicological Research, US Food and Drug Administration, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 203:257-61. 2001..The N-terminal amino acid sequence of the purified enzyme showed no significant homology with other known GSTs...
- Expression of cytochromes P450 and glutathione S-transferases in human prostate, and the potential for activation of heterocyclic amine carcinogens via acetyl-coA-, PAPS- and ATP-dependent pathwaysOscar A Di Paolo
Division of Pharmacogenomics and Molecular Epidemiology, National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, AR 72079 9502, USA
Int J Cancer 117:8-13. 2005..However, there were no significant correlations between expression/activities and DNA adducts formed in vitro or in vivo, DNA adducts in vivo possibly reflecting carcinogen exposure...
- Potential chemoprotective effects of the coffee components kahweol and cafestol palmitates via modification of hepatic N-acetyltransferase and glutathione S-transferase activitiesWolfgang W Huber
Division of Molecular Epidemiology, National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, Arkansas, USA
Environ Mol Mutagen 44:265-76. 2004..In summary, the unique potential of K/C to convert rapid acetylators to a slow acetylator phenotype, accompanied by GST induction, might contribute to chemoprevention against cancers associated with heterocyclic amines...
- Lack of association between Caucasian lung cancer risk and O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase-codon 178 genetic polymorphismMihi Yang
Department of Preventive Medicine, Cancer Research Institute, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Chongno go, South Korea
Lung Cancer 44:281-6. 2004..Because this "deletion" was observed in all sequenced samples (N = 20), the previously reported human (Caucasian) MGMT gene sequence should be revised to exclude this 10bp segment...
- Association between a glutathione S-transferase A1 promoter polymorphism and survival after breast cancer treatmentCarol Sweeney
Division of Epidemiology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Int J Cancer 103:810-4. 2003..Further studies should consider the possible association between the novel GSTA1*B variant and outcomes of cancer therapy...
- Novel markers of susceptibility to carcinogens in diet: associations with colorectal cancerCarol Sweeney
Division of Molecular Epidemiology, National Center for Toxicological Research, Food and Drug Administration, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
Toxicology 181:83-7. 2002..001). GSTA1 genotype and CYP2A6 phenotype should be evaluated as markers of susceptibility to dietary carcinogens in future studies...
- Effects of the ADH3, CYP2E1, and GSTP1 genetic polymorphisms on their expressions in Caucasian lung tissueMihi Yang
Department of Preventive Medicine, Cancer Research Institute, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, 110 799, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Lung Cancer 38:15-21. 2002..In conclusion, subjects with the ADH3*1 allele showed higher ADH activity and acetaldehyde-DNA adducts in lung than other subjects; thus, the ADH3*1 allele could be considered a risk factor for lung cancer...
- Human alpha class glutathione S-transferases: genetic polymorphism, expression, and susceptibility to diseaseBrian F Coles
Division of Pharmacogenomics and Molecular Epidemiology, National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, Arkansas, USA
Methods Enzymol 401:9-42. 2005..Methods for identification and quantitation of human alpha class GST protein, mRNA, and genotype are reviewed, and the potential for GST-alpha in plasma to be used as a marker for hepatic expression and induction is discussed...