STEVEN RICHARD SMITH
Affiliation: Florida Hospital
- Sex differences in human adipose tissues - the biology of pear shapeKalypso Karastergiou
Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Biol Sex Differ 3:13. 2012..We provide a brief overview of the relationship of fat distribution to metabolic health in men and women, and then focus on mechanisms underlying sex differences in adipose tissue biology...
- Distinct developmental signatures of human abdominal and gluteal subcutaneous adipose tissue depotsKalypso Karastergiou
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:362-71. 2013..Differences in cellular characteristics and metabolic functions of these depots have been described, but the molecular mechanisms involved are not understood...
- Orlistat 60 mg reduces visceral adipose tissue: a 24-week randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter trialSteven R Smith
Bioimaging, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 19:1796-803. 2011..These results suggest that orlistat 60 mg may be an effective weight loss tool to reduce metabolic risk factors associated with abdominal obesity...
- Multicenter, placebo-controlled trial of lorcaserin for weight managementSteven R Smith
Translational Research Institute for Metabolism and Diabetes, Florida Hospital and the Sanford Burnham Institute, Winter Park, FL 32789, USA
N Engl J Med 363:245-56. 2010..Lorcaserin is a selective serotonin 2C receptor agonist that could be useful in reducing body weight...
- Skeletal muscle mitochondrial capacity and insulin resistance in type 2 diabetesSudip Bajpeyi
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:1160-8. 2011..The objective of this study was to determine the role of maximum mitochondrial capacity on the variation in insulin sensitivity within a population of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- MENOPAUSE EFFECT ON OBESITY, ENERGY BALANCE AND INSULINSteven Smith; Fiscal Year: 2000..is essential ... to advance our knowledge of the natural history of menopause". ..
- MENOPAUSE EFFECT ON OBESITY, ENERGY BALANCE AND INSULINSteven Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Adaptations to a Two-Year Caloric RestictionSteven Smith; Fiscal Year: 2009..This protocol aims to test the hypothesis that reducing energy intake in non-overweight people will make mitochondria more efficient at producing ATP, thereby reducing oxidative stress and accumulated oxidative damage. ..
- Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Adaptations to a Two-Year Caloric RestictionSTEVEN RICHARD SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2010..This protocol aims to test the hypothesis that reducing energy intake in non-overweight people will make mitochondria more efficient at producing ATP, thereby reducing oxidative stress and accumulated oxidative damage. ..