STEVEN RICHARD SMITH
Affiliation: Florida Hospital
- Remodeling lipid metabolism and improving insulin responsiveness in human primary myotubesLauren M Sparks
Molecular and Experimental Endocrinology Laboratory, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e21068. 2011..We hypothesized that activation of cAMP/PKA and calcium signaling pathways in cultured human myotubes would provide further insight into regulation of lipid storage, lipolysis, lipid oxidation and insulin responsiveness...
- Combination therapy with naltrexone and bupropion for obesity reduces total and visceral adiposityS R Smith
Translational Research Institute for Metabolism and Diabetes, Florida Hospital Burnham Institute, Winter Park, FL 32789, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 15:863-6. 2013..Reductions in body fat and VAT mass with naltrexone/bupropion were proportional with weight loss. Weight loss with naltrexone/bupropion was not associated with a greater relative reduction in lean mass than placebo or the monotherapies. ..
- Sex differences in human adipose tissues - the biology of pear shapeKalypso Karastergiou
Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Biol Sex Differ 3:13. 2012..We provide a brief overview of the relationship of fat distribution to metabolic health in men and women, and then focus on mechanisms underlying sex differences in adipose tissue biology...
- Distinct developmental signatures of human abdominal and gluteal subcutaneous adipose tissue depotsKalypso Karastergiou
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:362-71. 2013..Differences in cellular characteristics and metabolic functions of these depots have been described, but the molecular mechanisms involved are not understood...
- Orlistat 60 mg reduces visceral adipose tissue: a 24-week randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter trialSteven R Smith
Bioimaging, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 19:1796-803. 2011..These results suggest that orlistat 60 mg may be an effective weight loss tool to reduce metabolic risk factors associated with abdominal obesity...
- Multicenter, placebo-controlled trial of lorcaserin for weight managementSteven R Smith
Translational Research Institute for Metabolism and Diabetes, Florida Hospital and the Sanford Burnham Institute, Winter Park, FL 32789, USA
N Engl J Med 363:245-56. 2010..Lorcaserin is a selective serotonin 2C receptor agonist that could be useful in reducing body weight...
- Skeletal muscle mitochondrial capacity and insulin resistance in type 2 diabetesSudip Bajpeyi
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:1160-8. 2011..The objective of this study was to determine the role of maximum mitochondrial capacity on the variation in insulin sensitivity within a population of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- MENOPAUSE EFFECT ON OBESITY, ENERGY BALANCE AND INSULINSteven Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..