Bradley C Bennett
Affiliation: Florida International University
- Anti-quorum sensing activity of medicinal plants in southern FloridaAllison L Adonizio
Department of Biological Sciences, Center for Ethnobiology and Natural Products, CENaP, Florida International University, 11200 SW 8th Street, University Park, Miami, 33199, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 105:427-35. 2006..Fagaceae). This study introduces not only a new mode of action and possible validation for traditional plant use, but also a potentially new therapeutic direction for the treatment of bacterial infections...
- Does the name really matter? The importance of botanical nomenclature and plant taxonomy in biomedical researchBradley C Bennett
Department of Biological Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199, USA Electronic address
J Ethnopharmacol 152:387-92. 2014..Perhaps more significant, is the ambiguity of species determinations that ensues of from poor taxonomic practices. This uncertainty, not surprisingly, obstructs reproducibility of results-the cornerstone of science...
- Patterns of medicinal plant use: an examination of the Ecuadorian Shuar medicinal flora using contingency table and binomial analysesBradley C Bennett
Department of Biological Sciences and Center for Natural Products, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 116:422-30. 2008..However, regression, the commonly-employed analysis, suffers from several statistical flaws...
- Phytomedicine 101: plant taxonomy for preclinical and clinical medicinal plant researchersBradley C Bennett
Department of Biological Sciences and Center for Ethnobiology and Natural Products, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199, USA
J Soc Integr Oncol 6:150-7. 2008..Voucher specimens and their preparation, plant identification, and botanical nomenclature are discussed. References and other resources to assist investigators are cited...
- Effects of extracts from Italian medicinal plants on planktonic growth, biofilm formation and adherence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusCassandra L Quave
Florida International University, Department of Biological Sciences and Center for Ethnobiology and Natural Products, Miami, FL 33199, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 118:418-28. 2008..Our aim was to investigate plants from different ethnobotanical usage groups for inhibition of growth and biofilms in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)...
- Quorum sensing inhibitors of Staphylococcus aureus from Italian medicinal plantsCassandra L Quave
Department of Biological Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FL, USA
Planta Med 77:188-95. 2011..Extracts from three medicinal plants (Ballota nigra, Castanea sativa, and Sambucus ebulus) exhibited a dose-dependent response in the production of δ-hemolysin, indicating anti-QS activity in a pathogenic MRSA isolate...
- Saw palmetto ethanol extract inhibits adipocyte differentiationNicole Villaverde
Department of Biological Sciences, Florida International University, 11200 SW 8th Street, Miami, FL 33199, USA
J Nat Med 67:619-25. 2013..This report suggests that saw palmetto extracts selectively affect the adipocyte differentiation through the modulation of several key factors that play a critical role during adipogenesis...
- Dermatological remedies in the traditional pharmacopoeia of Vulture-Alto Bradano, inland southern ItalyCassandra L Quave
Department of Biological Sciences and Center for Ethnobiology and Natural Products, Florida International University, 11200 SW 8th St, HLS 320, Miami, FL 33199, USA
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 4:5. 2008..In addition to SSTI remedies for humans, we also discuss certain ethnoveterinary applications...
- Training in Alternative Tropical Botanical MedicineBRADLEY BENNETT; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our training prepares researchers for careers devoted to the study of tropical botanical medicines and our research focuses examines many of the poorly known plants that are widely used in the region. ..