Aaron S Fink
- The National Surgical Quality Improvement Program in non-veterans administration hospitals: initial demonstration of feasibilityAaron S Fink
Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine and Atlanta VAMC, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Ann Surg 236:344-53; discussion 353-4. 2002..To assess the feasibility of implementing the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) methodology in non-VA hospitals...
- Angiotensin II evokes calcium-mediated signaling events in isolated dog pancreatic epithelial cellsAaron S Fink
Department of Surgery, Atlanta VAMC and Emory University, Atlanta VAMC, Atlanta, Georgia 30033, USA
Pancreas 25:290-5. 2002..Recent in vitro evidence suggests that angiotensin II (AngII) stimulates pancreatic secretion in both cystic fibrosis (CFPAC) and transformed pancreatic cells...
- Evidence-based outcome data after hernia surgery: a possible role for the National Surgical Quality Improvement ProgramAaron S Fink
Emory University School of Medicine, and Surgical and Perioperative Care, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center 112, 1670 Clairmont Road, Decatur, Georgia 30033, USA
Am J Surg 188:30S-34S. 2004..Given the profound decrease in operative mortality and morbidity seen within the VA, it seems realistic to expect similar improvements in global-and procedure specific-surgical outcomes within the non-VA sector...
- Successful implementation of the Department of Veterans Affairs' National Surgical Quality Improvement Program in the private sector: the Patient Safety in Surgery studyShukri F Khuri
Department of Surgery, VA Boston Healthcare System, West Roxbury, MA 02132, USA
Ann Surg 248:329-36. 2008..We sought to determine if NSQIP methods and risk models were applicable to private sector (PS) hospitals and if implementation of the NSQIP in the PS would be associated with reductions in adverse postoperative outcomes...
- Enhancement of surgical informed consent by addition of repeat back: a multicenter, randomized controlled clinical trialAaron S Fink
Surgical Service, Atlanta VAMC, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Ann Surg 252:27-36. 2010..In this randomized, controlled, unblinded trial, we sought to test Repeat Back's (RB) effect on comprehension following informed consent discussions...
- Adjusted or unadjusted outcomesAaron S Fink
Surgical Service, Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Atlanta, Decatur, GA, USA
Am J Surg 198:S28-35. 2009..The National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP), which is requires abstraction of clinical data, stands as the "gold standard" for assessment of surgical quality...
- Insulin inhibits secretin-induced pancreatic bicarbonate output via cholinergic mechanismsMarissa Howard-McNatt
Surgical Service, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Pancreas 24:380-5. 2002..Exogenous insulin inhibits secretin-stimulated pancreatic bicarbonate output via a dose-dependent mechanism; this effect is prevented by pancreatic denervation...
- Comparison of risk-adjusted 30-day postoperative mortality and morbidity in Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals and selected university medical centers: general surgical operations in womenAaron S Fink
Department of Surgery, Atlanta VAMC, Atlanta, GA 30033, USA
J Am Coll Surg 204:1127-36. 2007..This report examines the results of the comparison between patient characteristics and outcomes of female general surgical patients in the two health care environments...
- The patient safety in surgery study: background, study design, and patient populationsShukri F Khuri
VA Boston Healthcare System, West Roxbury, MA 02132, USA
J Am Coll Surg 204:1089-102. 2007..The purpose of this article is to describe the background, design, and patient populations of the Patient Safety in Surgery Study, as a preliminary to the articles in this journal that will report the results of the Study...
- Veterans Administration physician compensation: past, present, futureAaron S Fink
Association of VA Surgeons, USA
Am J Surg 192:559-64. 2006
- Evaluating alternative risk-adjustment strategies for surgeryAdam Atherly
Department of Health Policy and Management, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, 1518 Clifton Rd N E, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Surg 188:566-70. 2004..Comparison of institutional health care outcomes requires risk adjustment. Risk-adjustment methodology may influence the results of such comparisons...
- Assessing the quality of surgical careAaron S Fink
Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine and Surgical Service, VAMC Atlanta, 1670 Clairmont Road 112, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Surg Clin North Am 87:837-52, vi. 2007..We must firmly establish the links between these elements to validate current and future metrics, while engendering "buy-in'' on the part of surgeons...
- Surgery resident working conditions and job satisfactionDaniel L Davenport
Department of Surgery, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Surgery 144:332-338.e5. 2008..This study surveyed surgery residents regarding working conditions and how those conditions influenced their job satisfaction...
- Predictors of comprehension during surgical informed consentAaron S Fink
Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 1670 Clairmont Road, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
J Am Coll Surg 210:919-26. 2010..Using data from our randomized trial of methods to improve informed consent comprehension, we performed an additional analysis to define independent factors associated with improved patient understanding...
- Informed versus uninformed consent for prostate surgery: the value of electronic consentsMuta M Issa
Department of Urology, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Georgia 30033, USA
J Urol 176:694-9; discussion 699. 2006..Based on the results of the review the conventional paper based consent system was replaced with a new, standardized electronic consent system...
- Captopril inhibits secretin-induced pancreatic bicarbonate outputMarissa Howard-McNatt
Surgical Service, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, Georgia 30033, USA
J Surg Res 103:96-9. 2002..In contrast, in vivo studies suggest that Ang II inhibits pancreatic secretion. To further assess Ang II's influence on pancreatic secretion, we examined the effect of captopril on secretin-stimulated pancreatic output...
- Reducing surgical site infections through a multidisciplinary computerized process for preoperative prophylactic antibiotic administrationAlexandra L B Webb
Department of Surgery, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Am J Surg 192:663-8. 2006..Although many of these infections can be prevented by timely administration of preoperative antibiotics, data suggest that many patients do not receive such therapy...
- Relationship of processes and structures of care in general surgery to postoperative outcomes: a descriptive analysisDeborah S Main
Colorado Health Outcomes Program, Aurora, CO 80045 0508, USA
J Am Coll Surg 204:1157-65. 2007..The purpose of this article was to describe results of a quantitative survey designed to measure surgical care structures and processes within NSQIP sites...
- Relationship of processes and structures of care in general surgery to postoperative outcomes: a qualitative analysisDeborah S Main
Colorado Health Outcomes Program, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80045 0508, USA
J Am Coll Surg 204:1147-56. 2007..With increased focus on improving surgical care quality, understanding structures and processes that influence surgical care is timely and important, as is more precise specification of these through improved measurement...
- Comparison of risk-adjusted 30-day postoperative mortality and morbidity in Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals and selected university medical centers: general surgical operations in menWilliam G Henderson
University of Colorado Health Outcomes Program, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Am Coll Surg 204:1103-14. 2007....