P J Gavin
Affiliation: Evanston Northwestern Healthcare
- Neonatal sepsis caused by Streptococcus bovis variant (biotype II/2): report of a case and reviewPatrick J Gavin
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Memorial Hospital and Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:3433-5. 2003..bovis. We report a 3-day-old neonate with bacteremia and meningitis caused by S. bovis variant (S. bovis biotype II/2) and review the literature...
- Left-sided endocarditis caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa: successful treatment with meropenem and tobramycinP J Gavin
Departments of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston and Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 47:427-30. 2003..Medical treatment alone is rarely successful in left-sided infective endocarditis caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. We report the cure of such a case with high-dose meropenem in combination with tobramycin...
- BaylisascariasisPatrick J Gavin
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Research, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 18:703-18. 2005..In the absence of early diagnosis or effective treatment, prevention of infection is the most important public health measure...
- Clinical correlation of the CLSI susceptibility breakpoint for piperacillin- tazobactam against extended-spectrum-beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella speciesPatrick J Gavin
Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, IL 60201, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2244-7. 2006..Treatment was successful in 10 of 11 nonurinary infections from susceptible strains and in 2 of 6 infections with MICs of >16/4 mug/ml. All six urinary infections responded to treatment regardless of susceptibility...
- Neural larva migrans caused by the raccoon roundworm Baylisascaris procyonisPatrick J Gavin
Children s Memorial Hospital and Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:971-5. 2002..procyonis infection live in proximity to humans, which suggests that the risk of human infection is probably substantial. In the absence of effective treatment, prevention of infection remains the most important public health strategy...
- Raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis)Patrick J Gavin
Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:651-2. 2003
- Microbiologic surveillance using nasal cultures alone is sufficient for detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates in neonatesKamaljit Singh
Northwestern Memorial Hospital Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:2755-7. 2003..There were no positive umbilical samples...
- Evaluation of performance and potential clinical impact of ProSpecT Shiga toxin Escherichia coli microplate assay for detection of Shiga Toxin-producing E. coli in stool samplesPatrick J Gavin
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Enteric Laboratory, Illinois Department of Public Health, Chicago, Illinois
J Clin Microbiol 42:1652-6. 2004..Shiga toxin assays should be considered for routine use in settings where prevalence of STEC disease warrants testing...
- Cerebrospinal fluid cytology in seasonal epidemic West Nile virus meningo-encephalitisAjay Rawal
Department of Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston, Illinois, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 34:127-9. 2006..Relative lymphocyte proportions increased from a mean of 39 to 48% after 3 days of illness. WNV should be considered as a potential etiology of infectious CSF pleocytosis in the North American late summer and early fall seasons...