Affiliation: ETR Associates
- Effective approaches to reducing adolescent unprotected sex, pregnancy, and childbearingDouglas Kirby
ETR Associates, P O Box 1830, Scotts Valley, Santa Cruz, CA, USA
J Sex Res 39:51-7. 2002....
- Impact of an intervention to improve contraceptive use through follow-up phone calls to female adolescent clinic patientsDouglas Kirby
ETR Associates, Scotts Valley, CA, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 42:251-7. 2010..Little evidence exists on whether follow-up phone calls to address young women's concerns can help sustain contraceptive use...
- Sex and HIV education programs: their impact on sexual behaviors of young people throughout the worldDouglas B Kirby
Department of Research, ETR Associates, Scotts Valley, California 95066, USA
J Adolesc Health 40:206-17. 2007..Replications of studies also indicate that programs remain effective when implemented by others in different communities, provided all the activities are implemented as intended in similar settings...
- The "Safer Choices" intervention: its impact on the sexual behaviors of different subgroups of high school studentsDouglas B Kirby
Department of Research, ETR Associates, Scotts Valley, CA 95066 4200, USA
J Adolesc Health 35:442-52. 2004..To measure the relative impact of a school-based human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-, sexually transmitted disease (STD)-, and pregnancy-prevention intervention on sexual risk-taking behaviors of different subgroups of students...
- The impact of programs to increase contraceptive use among adult women: a review of experimental and quasi-experimental studiesDouglas Kirby
ETR Associates, Scotts Valley, CA, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 40:34-41. 2008..Because rates of unintended pregnancy, abortion and unintended birth are very high among adult women in the United States, it is important to identify interventions that can increase contraceptive use in this population...
- The impact of schools and school programs upon adolescent sexual behaviorDouglas Kirby
ETR Associates, P O Box 1830, Santa Cruz, CA, USA
J Sex Res 39:27-33. 2002..Other studies reveal that there is very broad support for comprehensive sex- and HIV-education programs, and accordingly, most youth receive some amount of sex or HIV education. However, important topics are not covered in many schools...
- Antecedents of adolescent initiation of sex, contraceptive use, and pregnancyDouglas Kirby
ETR Associates, Santa Cruz, CA, 95061 1830, USA
Am J Health Behav 26:473-85. 2002..To identify the most important antecedents associated with adolescent initiation of sex, contraceptive use, and pregnancy...
- Changes in sexual behaviour leading to the decline in the prevalence of HIV in Uganda: confirmation from multiple sources of evidenceD Kirby
ETR Associates, 4 Carbonero Way, Scotts Valley, CA 95066 4200, USA
Sex Transm Infect 84:ii35-41. 2008..To identify the changes in sexual behaviour that led to the dramatic reduction in the prevalence of HIV in Uganda in the early 1990s...
- The effectiveness of sex education and HIV education interventions in schools in developing countriesDouglas Kirby
ETR Associates, 4 Carbonero Way, Scotts Valley, CA 95061, USA
World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser 938:103-50; discussion 317-41. 2006..To review the impact of sex education and HIV education interventions in schools in developing countries on both risk behaviours for HIV and the psychosocial factors that affect them...
- Safer choices: reducing teen pregnancy, HIV, and STDsK Coyle
ETR Associates, Scotts Valley, California, USA
Public Health Rep 116:82-93. 2001....
- A direct mailing to teenage males about condom use: its impact on knowledge, attitudes and sexual behaviorD Kirby
ETR Associates, Santa Cruz, Calif
Fam Plann Perspect 21:12-8. 1989..Many of those who ordered condoms had previously had sex and had used condoms. However, a sizeable portion of those who ordered condoms did so prior to first intercourse, suggesting a possibly important early intervention...
- Manifestations of poverty and birthrates among young teenagers in California zip code areasD Kirby
ETR Associates, Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Fam Plann Perspect 33:63-9. 2001..Addressing some of these issues could substantially reduce childbearing among young adolescents...
- Can fear arousal in public health campaigns contribute to the decline of HIV prevalence?Douglas Kirby
ETR Associates, Scorts Valley, California
J Health Commun 11:262-6. 2006
- Comprehensive sex education: strong public support and persuasive evidence of impact, but little fundingDouglas Kirby
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160:1182-4. 2006
- The time has come for common ground on preventing sexual transmission of HIVDaniel T Halperin
University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Lancet 364:1913-5. 2004
- Public health. Reassessing HIV preventionMalcolm Potts
School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Science 320:749-50. 2008
- Increasing communication between parents and their children about sexDouglas Kirby
BMJ 337:a206. 2008