Genomes and Genes
Andrew N Young
Affiliation: Emory University
- Current trends in molecular classification of adult renal tumorsAndrew N Young
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Urology 67:873-80. 2006
- Renal epithelial neoplasms: diagnostic applications of gene expression profilingAndrew N Young
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine Grady Memorial Hospital, 80 Jesse Hill Jr Drive SE, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Adv Anat Pathol 15:28-38. 2008..Here, we review clinical features of kidney cancer, the WHO classification system, and the growing role of molecular classification for diagnosis, prognosis, and therapy of this disease...
- Current trends in the molecular classification of renal neoplasmsAndrew N Young
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 6:2505-18. 2006..Here, we review clinical features of kidney cancer, the WHO classification system, and the growing role of molecular classification for diagnosis, prognosis, and therapy of this disease...
- Diagnostic biomarkers for renal cell carcinoma: selection using novel bioinformatics systems for microarray data analysisAdeboye O Osunkoya
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Hum Pathol 40:1671-8. 2009..Biomarker expression assays are increasingly important for renal cell carcinoma diagnosis, as needle core biopsies become more common and different therapies for tumor subtypes continue to be developed...
- Claudin-7 immunohistochemistry in renal tumors: a candidate marker for chromophobe renal cell carcinoma identified by gene expression profilingChristopher D Hornsby
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:1541-6. 2007..Immunohistochemistry is useful for distinguishing chromophobe RCC from other subtypes of renal carcinoma, but no expression marker reliably separates chromophobe RCC from oncocytoma...
- Expression analysis of kidney-specific cadherin in a wide spectrum of traditional and newly recognized renal epithelial neoplasms: diagnostic and histogenetic implicationsAdam Kuehn
Department of Pathology, Emory University Hospital, Atlanta, GA, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 31:1528-33. 2007....
- Claudin-7 and claudin-8: immunohistochemical markers for the differential diagnosis of chromophobe renal cell carcinoma and renal oncocytomaAdeboye O Osunkoya
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Hum Pathol 40:206-10. 2009..It may be necessary to identify additional biomarkers to include with claudin-7 and claudin-8 in a larger immunohistochemical panel to improve diagnostic sensitivity and specificity...
- Emerging translational bioinformatics: knowledge-guided biomarker identification for cancer diagnosticsJohn H Phan
Department of biomedical engineering at Georgia Tech and Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009:4162-5. 2009..As a case study, we apply these knowledge-driven methods to renal cancer data and identify genes that are potential biomarkers for cancer subtype classification...
- Cancer-specific loss of beta-defensin 1 in renal and prostatic carcinomasCarlton D Donald
Department of Urology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Lab Invest 83:501-5. 2003..We have thus demonstrated the cancer-specific down-regulation of DEFB1 in a large sample of prostatic and renal carcinomas and validated one of the key findings of previous cancer gene profiling studies of prostatic and renal neoplasia...
- Convergence of biomarkers, bioinformatics and nanotechnology for individualized cancer treatmentJohn H Phan
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, 313 Ferst Drive, UA Whitaker Building 4106, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Trends Biotechnol 27:350-8. 2009..This bio-nano-info convergence holds great promise for molecular diagnosis and individualized therapy of cancer and other human diseases...
- Nox1 expression determines cellular reactive oxygen and modulates c-fos-induced growth factor, interleukin-8, and Cav-1Rebecca S Arnold
Department of Urology, Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University School of Medicine, 1365 Clifton Rd, Building B, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Pathol 171:2021-32. 2007..0001). These studies indicate that Nox1 overexpression may function as a reversible signal for cellular proliferation with relevance for a common human tumor...
- Robust microarray meta-analysis identifies differentially expressed genes for clinical predictionJohn H Phan
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, 313 Ferst Drive, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 2012:989637. 2012..Results indicate that rank average meta-analysis consistently performs well compared to five other meta-analysis methods...
- caCORRECT2: Improving the accuracy and reliability of microarray data in the presence of artifactsRichard A Moffitt
The Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, 313 Ferst Drive, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 12:383. 2011..The caCORRECT tool can be accessed at the website: http://cacorrect.bme.gatech.edu...
- Molecular mapping of tumor heterogeneity on clinical tissue specimens with multiplexed quantum dotsJian Liu
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Chemistry, Emory University and Georgia Institute of Technology, 101 Woodruff Circle Suite 2001, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
ACS Nano 4:2755-65. 2010..For clinical diagnostic applications, multiplexed QD mapping provides correlated molecular and morphological information that is not available from traditional tissue staining and molecular profiling methods...
- Expression of C-reactive protein and cyclooxygenase enzyme-2 in clear cell renal cell carcinoma: correlation with pathological parameters in 110 patientsSarfraz Ali
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Room H174 1364 Clifton Road, NE Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Tumour Biol 32:375-80. 2011....
- Loss of HOXC6 expression induces apoptosis in prostate cancer cellsSumathi Ramachandran
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Oncogene 24:188-98. 2005..Our data suggest that HOXC6 may be a novel potential therapeutic target for prostate cancer...
- Comparison of gene expression profiles in tubulocystic carcinoma and collecting duct carcinoma of the kidneyAdeboye O Osunkoya
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Room H174, 1364 Clifton Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:1103-6. 2009..Overall, these findings support the view that tubulocystic carcinoma and collecting duct carcinoma should be considered as 2 distinct entities at the molecular level...
- Beta defensin-1, parvalbumin, and vimentin: a panel of diagnostic immunohistochemical markers for renal tumors derived from gene expression profiling studies using cDNA microarraysAndrew N Young
Department of Pathology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 27:199-205. 2003..This work demonstrates that a useful panel of immunohistochemical markers can be derived from differential gene expression profiles determined using cDNA microarrays...
- Molecular classification of renal tumors by gene expression profilingAudrey N Schuetz
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
J Mol Diagn 7:206-18. 2005..In summary, renal tumor subtypes were classified by distinct gene expression profiles, illustrating tumor pathobiology and translating into novel molecular bioassays using fixed tissue...
- Selecting clinically-driven biomarkers for cancer nanotechnologyJohn H Phan
Dept of Biomed Eng, Georgia Inst of Technol, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:3317-20. 2006..We have achieved intelligent model selection for biomarker identification so that the total number of nano-imaging targets is small...
- Immunohistochemical analysis of mucinous tubular and spindle cell carcinoma and papillary renal cell carcinoma of the kidney: significant immunophenotypic overlap warrants diagnostic cautionGladell P Paner
Department of Pathology, Emory University Hospital, 1364 Clifton Road NE, G 167, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:13-9. 2006....
- Beta2-microglobulin promotes the growth of human renal cell carcinoma through the activation of the protein kinase A, cyclic AMP-responsive element-binding protein, and vascular endothelial growth factor axisTakeo Nomura
Molecular Urology and Therapeutics Program, Department of Urology and Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:7294-305. 2006..Because aberrant expression of beta2M has been reported in human renal cell carcinoma, we investigated the effects of beta2M overexpression on cancer cell growth and analyzed its molecular signaling pathway...
- Histological image classification using biologically interpretable shape-based featuresSonal Kothari
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA
BMC Med Imaging 13:9. 2013..However, because many of these features lack a clear biological interpretation, pathologists may be reluctant to adopt these features for clinical diagnosis...
- Chromophobe renal cell carcinoma: histomorphologic characteristics and evaluation of conventional pathologic prognostic parameters in 145 casesMahul B Amin
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1822-34. 2008..The adverse presence of these features in a nephrectomy specimen with chromophobe RCC warrants active surveillance, and these patients may be candidates for adjuvant therapies as they become available...
- An analysis of scale and rotation invariance in the bag-of-features method for histopathological image classificationS Hussain Raza
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 14:66-74. 2011..Our study shows that rotation invariance is more important than scale invariance but combining both properties gives better classification performance...
- Frequency and determinants of disagreement and error in gleason scores: a population-based study of prostate cancerMichael Goodman
Department of Epidemiology, Emory University Rollins School of Public Health, 1518 Clifton Road, NE Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Prostate 72:1389-98. 2012..To examine factors that affect accuracy and reliability of prostate cancer grade we compared Gleason scores documented in pathology reports and those assigned by urologic pathologists in a population-based study...
- Angiogenic and lymphangiogenic microvessel density in breast carcinoma: correlation with clinicopathologic parameters and VEGF-family gene expressionWilliam W L Choi
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30033, USA
Mod Pathol 18:143-52. 2005..Thus, measurements of angiogenesis and lymphangiogenesis may have utility for breast cancer pathology, particularly for estimation of metastatic risk...
- C-reactive protein may represent sensitive measure of renal cell carcinoma metastasisTimothy V Johnson
Department of Urology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Urol Nurs 31:181-2, 194. 2011..CRP values have been shown to carry prognostic significance for overall and disease free survival. This case suggests a novel use for CRP: a sensitive biomarker of disease recurrence and metastasis...
- Asymptomatic follicular lymphoma of the prostate discovered by abnormal digital rectal examinationRafael Bouet
Department of Urology, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Emory University School of Medicine, Georgia 30333, USA
J Urol 171:795-6. 2004
- Lipoxin a4 analogs attenuate induction of intestinal epithelial proinflammatory gene expression and reduce the severity of dextran sodium sulfate-induced colitisAndrew T Gewirtz
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University, WRB 10SH, 6125 Michael Street, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Immunol 168:5260-7. 2002..Thus, LXA(4) analog-mediated down-regulation of proinflammatory gene expression via inhibition of the NF-kappaB pathway can be therapeutic for diseases characterized by mucosal inflammation...
- Increased number of coagulation products in relationship to red blood cell products transfused improves mortality in trauma patientsBeth H Shaz
Center for Transfusion and Cellular Therapies, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Transfusion 50:493-500. 2010..This study investigates the relationship of plasma:RBC, PLT:RBC, and cryoprecipitate:RBC transfusion ratios to mortality in massively transfused patients at a civilian Level 1 trauma center...
- Semiconductor quantum dots for bioimaging and biodiagnostic applicationsBrad A Kairdolf
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Emory University and Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Annu Rev Anal Chem (Palo Alto Calif) 6:143-62. 2013....
- C-reactive protein as a clinically useful biomarker of metastasis of renal cell carcinomaTimothy V Johnson
Department of Urology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Mol Diagn Ther 14:191-3. 2010..His subsequent CT scan revealed "multiple pulmonary nodules consistent with progression of metastatic disease." This case demonstrates the potential for monitoring CRP in addition to, or instead of, standard restaging imaging...
- In vivo tumor targeting and spectroscopic detection with surface-enhanced Raman nanoparticle tagsXimei Qian
Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Chemistry, Emory University and Georgia Institute of Technology, 101 Woodruff Circle, Suite 2001, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Nat Biotechnol 26:83-90. 2008....
- Automated classification of renal cell carcinoma subtypes using scale invariant feature transformS Raza
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009:6687-90. 2009..We circumvent user subjectivity using automated analysis and cater for intra-class heterogeneities using multiple class templates. We achieve a classification accuracy of 83% using a Bayesian classifier...
- Hb Fulton-Georgia [α20(B1)His→Pro; HBA1: c.62A>C]: A New α-Globin Variant Coinherited with α-Thalassemia-2 (3.7 kb deletion) and Hb SC DiseaseLina Zhuang
Department of Medicine, Georgia Health Sciences University Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia, USA
Hemoglobin 37:481-5. 2013..Coinheritance of Hb Fulton-Georgia, heterozygous α-thal-2 and Hb SC disease was associated with a mild phenotype, consisting of microcytosis and anisocytosis, but no anemia or other hematological abnormality. ..
- Fecal lipocalin 2, a sensitive and broadly dynamic non-invasive biomarker for intestinal inflammationBenoit Chassaing
Department of Biology, Center for Inflammation, Immunity and Infection, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e44328. 2012..Thus, assay of fecal Lcn-2 by ELISA can function as a non-invasive, sensitive, dynamic, stable and cost-effective means to monitor intestinal inflammation in mice...
- Compound heterozygosity for hemoglobin S [beta6(A3)Glu6Val] and hemoglobin Korle-Bu [beta73(E17)Asp73Asn]Pascale S Akl
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30303, USA
Lab Hematol 15:20-4. 2009....
- Spectrum of epithelial neoplasms in end-stage renal disease: an experience from 66 tumor-bearing kidneys with emphasis on histologic patterns distinct from those in sporadic adult renal neoplasiaSatish K Tickoo
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:141-53. 2006..Acquired cystic disease-associated RCC is the commonest tumor subtype in ESRD, and biologically it appears to be more aggressive than the other tumor subtypes in ESRD...
- Prognostic role of CD44 cell adhesion molecule expression in primary and metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a clinicopathologic study of 125 casesSo Dug Lim
Department of Pathology, Konkuk University School of Medicine, Gwangjin gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Virchows Arch 452:49-55. 2008..Our study suggests that CD44 status in RCC provides useful prognostic information both in primary and metastatic RCCs and may have applicability in stratifying patients for therapeutic decisions...
- Evaluation of preemptive valdecoxib therapy on initial archwire placement discomfort in adultsAndrew N Young
Overland Park, Kan
Angle Orthod 76:251-9. 2006..Preemptive analgesia with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may be an approach to prevent discomfort associated with initial archwire placement in healthy adults...