Affiliation: Emory University
- Aldosterone and dexamethasone stimulate calcineurin activity through a transcription-independent mechanism involving steroid receptor-associated heat shock proteinsJ A Tumlin
Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Clin Invest 99:1217-23. 1997..We conclude that HSPs released from transformed steroid receptors can stimulate calcineurin activity through a transcription-independent pathway...
- Idiopathic IgA nephropathy: pathogenesis, histopathology, and therapeutic optionsJames A Tumlin
Clinical Research Division, Southeast Renal Associates, 2301 W Morehead Street, Charlotte, NC 28208, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2:1054-61. 2007..The use of known clinical risk factors for disease progression in conjunction with specific histologic features can be a guide to both induction and consolidation therapies for individual patients with IgA nephropathy...
- A prospective, open-label trial of sirolimus in the treatment of focal segmental glomerulosclerosisJames A Tumlin
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Emory University School Medicine, 1639 Pierce Drive, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 1:109-16. 2006..73 m2) at the end of 6 mo compared with nonresponders. In patients with steroid-resistant FSGS, sirolimus reduced proteinuria and glomerular pore size and increased K(f) in patients with steroid-resistant FSGS...
- Pathophysiology of contrast-induced nephropathyJames Tumlin
Southeast Renal Research Institute SERRI, Charlotte, North Carolina 28028, USA
Am J Cardiol 98:14K-20K. 2006..These effects, coupled with direct tubular toxicity of contrast media, lead to overt acute tubular necrosis and the syndrome of CIN...
- Fenoldopam mesylate in early acute tubular necrosis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trialJames A Tumlin
Emory University School of Medicine, Renal Division, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 46:26-34. 2005..We hypothesized that administration of low-dose fenoldopam during early ATN would decrease the need for dialysis therapy and/or incidence of death at 21 days...
- Clinical presentation, natural history, and treatment of crescentic proliferative IgA nephropathyJames A Tumlin
Division Nephrology and the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Semin Nephrol 24:256-68. 2004..Pulse solumedrol and intravenous cyclophosphamide effectively reduced peak serum creatinine, degree of proteinuria, the rate of decline in renal function, and the incidence of end-stage renal disease at 36 months...
- Crescentic, proliferative IgA nephropathy: clinical and histological response to methylprednisolone and intravenous cyclophosphamideJames A Tumlin
Division of Nephrology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:1321-9. 2003..Previous attempts to correlate specific histological findings including cellular crescents or endocapillary proliferation, with clinical outcomes, have produced conflicting results...
- Expression and function of calcineurin in the mammalian nephron: physiological roles, receptor signaling, and ion transportJ A Tumlin
Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 30:884-95. 1997..The mechanism is independent of transcription and appears to involve mechanisms involving heat shock proteins associated with the steroid receptor complex...
- Fenoldopam mesylate blocks reductions in renal plasma flow after radiocontrast dye infusion: a pilot trial in the prevention of contrast nephropathyJ A Tumlin
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am Heart J 143:894-903. 2002..To determine whether fenoldopam mesylate attenuates reductions in RPF after contrast infusion, we conducted a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled pilot trial of fenoldopam mesylate in patients who underwent contrast angiography...
- Fenoldopam, a dopamine agonist, for hypertensive emergency: a multicenter randomized trial. Fenoldopam Study GroupJ A Tumlin
Emory University Hospital, Atlanta, GA, USA
Acad Emerg Med 7:653-62. 2000..Despite successful therapies for chronic hypertension, hospital admissions for hypertensive emergency more than tripled between 1983 and 1992...
- A phase III, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of tenecteplase for improvement of hemodialysis catheter function: TROPICS 3James Tumlin
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University of Tennessee College of Medicine in Chattanooga, Director, Southeast Renal Research Institute, 2300 East Third Street, Suite 100, Chattanooga, TN 37404, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:631-6. 2010..To address this problem, this study investigated whether the thrombolytic agent tenecteplase can restore blood flow rates (BFRs) in dysfunctional HD catheters...
- Efficacy and safety of renal tubule cell therapy for acute renal failureJames Tumlin
Southeast Renal Associates Presbyterian Hospital, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 19:1034-40. 2008..RAD therapy was also associated with more rapid recovery of kidney function, was well tolerated, and had the expected adverse event profile for critically ill patients with ARF...
- Fenoldopam reduces the need for renal replacement therapy and in-hospital death in cardiovascular surgery: a meta-analysisGiovanni Landoni
Department of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Universita Vita Salute San Raffaele, Milano, Italia e Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 22:27-33. 2008..To determine the efficacy of fenoldopam in the prevention of acute renal failure, the authors performed a systematic review of randomized, controlled trials and propensity-matched studies in patients undergoing cardiovascular surgery...
- Loss of the alpha-isoform of calcineurin is sufficient to induce nephrotoxicity and altered expression of transforming growth factor-betaJennifer L Gooch
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Transplantation 83:439-47. 2007..However, mechanisms of extracellular matrix expansion and TGFbeta regulation following calcineurin inhibition are unknown. Mice lacking specific calcineurin catalytic subunit isoforms may offer important insight into this pathway...
- Angiotensin II stimulates calcineurin activity in proximal tubule epithelia through AT-1 receptor-mediated tyrosine phosphorylation of the PLC-gamma1 isoformJanice P Lea
Renal Division, Emory University School of Medicine, 1639 Pierce Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:1750-6. 2002..It is therefore concluded that AngII stimulates calcineurin phosphatase activity in proximal tubule epithelial cells through a mechanism involving AT-1 receptor-mediated tyrosine phosphorylation of the PLC isoform...
- LJP 394 for the prevention of renal flare in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: results from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyDonato Alarcon-Segovia
Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City, Mexico
Arthritis Rheum 48:442-54. 2003..To determine whether LJP 394 delays or prevents renal flare in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and a history of renal disease...
- Calcineurin phosphatase activity: activation by glucocorticoids and role of intracellular calciumDavid C Tong
Renal Division, Emory University School of Medicine, 1364 Clifton Road, N E, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Transplantation 77:259-67. 2004..Glucocorticoids stimulate release of intracellular calcium in peripheral lymphocytes, but their effects on calcineurin phosphatase activity are unknown...
- Fenoldopam mesylate for the prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy: a randomized controlled trialGregg W Stone
Department of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Research Foundation and Lenox Hill Heart and Vascular Institute, New York, NY 10022, USA
JAMA 290:2284-91. 2003....
- Contrast-Induced Nephropathy (CIN) Consensus Working Panel: executive summaryPeter A McCullough
William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
Rev Cardiovasc Med 7:177-97. 2006..In this executive summary, consensus statements and an algorithm for the risk stratification and management of CIN are presented...
- Beneficial impact of fenoldopam in critically ill patients with or at risk for acute renal failure: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trialsGiovanni Landoni
Department of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Universita Vita Salute San Raffaele, Milano, Italia
Am J Kidney Dis 49:56-68. 2007..Because there is uncertainty about the benefits of fenoldopam in such a setting, we performed a systematic review of randomized controlled trials of intensive care unit patients or those undergoing major surgery...
- Abetimus sodium for renal flare in systemic lupus erythematosus: results of a randomized, controlled phase III trialMario H Cardiel
Hospital General Dr Miguel Silva, Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico
Arthritis Rheum 58:2470-80. 2008....
- PREVENTION OF GRAFT FAILURE TO DIETARY N-3 FATTY ACIDSJames Tumlin; Fiscal Year: 2002..Secondary outcomes to be compared are molecular markers for thrombosis, inflammation, and vascular risk factors. ..