A C Schwartz
Affiliation: Emory University
- Suicide pact by mutual simultaneous arm amputationAnn C Schwartz
Grady Memorial Hospital, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Psychosomatics 50:633-7. 2009..Dyadic suicide pacts are cases in which two individuals (and very rarely more) agree to die together. These account for fewer than 1% of all completed suicides...
- Review of sertraline in post-traumatic stress disorderAnn C Schwartz
Department of Psychiatry, and Behavioural Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 3:1489-99. 2002..Sertraline's efficacy, favourable tolerability profile and relatively weak effect on the cytochrome P450 system are factors that contribute to make it a first-line agent of choice in the treatment of PTSD...
- Treating posttraumatic stress disorder in urban African American mental health patientsAnn Schwartz
Emory University School of Medicine, USA
J Am Psychoanal Assoc 52:464-5. 2004
- Posttraumatic stress disorder among African Americans in an inner city mental health clinicAnn C Schwartz
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Psychiatr Serv 56:212-5. 2005..PTSD is a common yet underrecognized and undertreated source of psychiatric morbidity in this urban community of African Americans with low socioeconomic status...
- Developing a modern standard to define and assess professionalism in traineesAnn C Schwartz
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Acad Psychiatry 33:442-50. 2009..Assessing professionalism in medical education poses many challenges. The authors discuss common themes and principles in managing professionalism in medical education...
- Pain medication use among patients with posttraumatic stress disorderAnn C Schwartz
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Psychosomatics 47:136-42. 2006..The authors conclude that there may be a relationship between PTSD and use of pain medications warranting further examination of the endogenous opiate system in the pathophysiology of PTSD...
- Trauma exposure and stress-related disorders in inner city primary care patientsCharles F Gillespie
Departments of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 31:505-14. 2009..This study was undertaken to increase understanding of environmental risk factors for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and major depressive disorder (MDD) within an urban, impoverished, population...
- Association of FKBP5 polymorphisms and childhood abuse with risk of posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in adultsElisabeth B Binder
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
JAMA 299:1291-305. 2008..Both genetic and environmental factors are contributory, with child abuse providing significant risk liability...
- Treatment barriers for low-income, urban African Americans with undiagnosed posttraumatic stress disorderRegina G Davis
Department of Psychiatry, Emory University, Grady Memorial Hospital, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Trauma Stress 21:218-22. 2008..These data highlight the need for an awareness of the high prevalence of trauma and PTSD in this population...
- Exposure therapy for posttraumatic stress disorderBarbara Olasov Rothbaum
Trauma and Anxiety Recovery Program, Emory University School of Medicine, USA
Am J Psychother 56:59-75. 2002..These myths and clinical guidelines are addressed. It is concluded that exposure therapy is a safe and effective treatment for PTSD when applied as directed by experienced therapists...
- Posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms among low-income, African American women with a history of intimate partner violence and suicidal behaviors: self-esteem, social support, and religious copingRebekah Bradley
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Trauma Stress 18:685-96. 2005..Both variables mediated the abuse-PTSD symptom link. In addition, we tested an alternate model in which PTSD symptoms mediated the relationship between abuse and both self-esteem and negative religious coping...
- Encountering patient suicide: a requirement of the residency program curriculumAnn C Schwartz
Acad Psychiatry 31:338-9. 2007