Affiliation: Emory University
- The effects of additional tumor cavity sampling at the time of breast-conserving surgery on final margin status, volume of resection, and pathologist workloadMonica Rizzo
Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 17:228-34. 2010..This study compares the reoperation rates, volume of breast excised in cm(3), and number of pathology slides examined in two groups of patients who underwent BCS with or without four or five additional margins (BCS + M)...
- Characteristics and treatment modalities for African American women diagnosed with stage III breast cancerMonica Rizzo
Avon Comprehensive Breast Cancer Center at Grady, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Cancer 115:3009-15. 2009..The aim of this study was to correlate age, receptor status, nuclear grade, and differences in treatment modalities for stage III breast cancer in an inner-city hospital serving a large AA population...
- Effects of an outreach and internal navigation program on breast cancer diagnosis in an urban cancer center with a large African-American populationSheryl G A Gabram
Georgia Cancer Center for Excellence at Grady Health System, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Cancer 113:602-7. 2008..They then assessed the effectiveness of these outreach initiatives and internal patient navigation on stage of diagnosis...
- Pseudoangiomatous stromal hyperplasia (PASH) of the breast: a series of 24 patientsErin Bowman
Department of Surgery, Morehouse School of Medicine, 720 Westview Drive S W, Atlanta, GA 30310, USA
Breast J 18:242-7. 2012..Management is conservative surgery for larger masses with careful observation being an option in patients not at high risk for breast cancer...
- Improving on national quality indicators of breast cancer care in a large public hospital as a means to decrease disparities for African American womenMonica Rizzo
Department of Surgery, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 18:34-9. 2011..The purpose of this study was to document compliance with the 3 NQF breast quality indicators during 2 time intervals in a metropolitan public hospital...
- Locoregional recurrence after mastectomy with immediate transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap reconstructionSharla Gayle Patterson
Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 19:2679-84. 2012..The locoregional recurrence (LRR) rate after mastectomy is reported to be similar with immediate reconstruction. We aimed to identify characteristics of LRR after transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) reconstruction...
- Time to treatment for patients receiving BCS in a public and a private university hospital in AtlantaMarina Mosunjac
Department of Pathology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Breast J 18:163-7. 2012..However, barriers to timely treatment arise from both system-based issues and patient socio-demographic factors. Studies are needed to evaluate and intervene on this intricate connection...
- 21-Gene recurrence scores: racial differences in testing, scores, treatment, and outcomeMary Jo Lund
Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Cancer 118:788-96. 2012..In the current study, the authors investigated racial differences in RS testing, scores, treatment, and outcome...
- Using National Quality Forum breast cancer indicators to measure quality of care for patients in an AVON comprehensive breast centerRadha Iyengar
Department of Surgery at Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Breast J 16:240-4. 2010..Using the NQF indicators serves to assess hospital performance at a systems-level and as a useful method for tracking cancer quality of care...
- Treatment adherence and outcome in women with inflammatory breast cancer: does race matter?Fundagul Andic
Department of Radiation Oncology, Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Cancer 117:5485-92. 2011..The authors compared treatment adherence rates and outcome in Caucasian and African American patients with inflammatory breast cancer (IBC)...
- Management of papillary breast lesions diagnosed on core-needle biopsy: clinical pathologic and radiologic analysis of 276 cases with surgical follow-upMonica Rizzo
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
J Am Coll Surg 214:280-7. 2012..Clinical management of papillary breast lesions (PBLs) remains controversial. The objective of this study was to identify pathologic and radiologic predictors of malignancy from a large cohort of PBLs diagnosed on core-needle biopsy (CNB)...
- High prevalence of triple-negative tumors in an urban cancer centerMary Jo B Lund
Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Cancer 113:608-15. 2008..In the current study, the authors investigated breast cancer subgroups among patients in an urban cancer center serving a multiracial, low socioeconomic population...
- Prevalence and clinical outcome of hyperglycemia in the perioperative period in noncardiac surgeryAnna Frisch
Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1783-8. 2010..However, the impact of perioperative hyperglycemia on clinical outcome in general and noncardiac surgery patients is not known...
- The changing field of locoregional treatment for breast cancerMonica Rizzo
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, Emory University School of Medicine, Winship Cancer Institute, Atlanta, Georgia 30308, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 25:813-6. 2011....
- Randomized study of basal-bolus insulin therapy in the inpatient management of patients with type 2 diabetes undergoing general surgery (RABBIT 2 surgery)Guillermo E Umpierrez
Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Diabetes Care 34:256-61. 2011..The optimal treatment of hyperglycemia in general surgical patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus is not known...
- Final Results from Phase II Trial of Neoadjuvant Docetaxel and Capecitabine Given Sequentially or Concurrently for HER2-Negative Breast CancersAmelia B Zelnak
Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University, School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA Electronic address
Clin Breast Cancer 13:173-9. 2013..We hypothesized that the combination of docetaxel and capecitabine, given concomitantly or sequentially, would present a nonanthracycline-based treatment option for patients with early stage and locally advanced breast cancer...
- 1 or 2 cm margins of excision for T2 melanomas: do they impact recurrence or survival?Laura E Hudson
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine and the Winship Cancer Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 20:346-51. 2013..We hypothesized 1- or 2-cm margins would have similar local recurrence (LR) and overall survival (OS)...
- Feasibility of accelerated partial breast irradiation in a large inner-city public hospitalMiral Amin
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 19:4094-8. 2012..We report our novel experience with APBI at a large public hospital that serves low-income and potentially noncompliant patients...
- Reed-Sternberg cells in breast FNA of a patient with left breast massJaemin Park
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 38:663-8. 2010..We report a rare case of Hodgkin's lymphoma presented as a breast mass in a 23-year-old woman diagnosed on fine needle aspiration (FNA). At presentation, she had no B symptoms, or palpable lymphadenopathy...
- National surgical patterns of care for primary surgery and axillary staging of phyllodes tumorsNorleena Poynter Gullett
Department of Radiation Oncology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Breast J 15:41-4. 2009..3% for lesions <2 cm, 20.5% for lesions 2-4.9 cm, 27.9% for 5-9.9 cm); although this was nonsignificant. In spite of the lack of supporting data for LN examination axillary staging continues to be performed for many cases of PT...
- Management of breast abscesses in nonlactating womenMonica Rizzo
Department of Surgery, Avon Comprehensive Breast Center at Grady, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30308, USA
Am Surg 76:292-5. 2010..Diabetes screening in nonlactating women with breast abscess and intensified glycemic control might improve clinical outcome...
- Surgical follow-up and clinical presentation of 142 breast papillary lesions diagnosed by ultrasound-guided core-needle biopsyMonica Rizzo
Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Ann Surg Oncol 15:1040-7. 2008....
- Soft tissue angiofibroma: report of 2 cases of a recently described tumorMark A Edgar
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Hum Pathol 44:438-41. 2013..Identification of this tumor is important to prevent misdiagnosis as a low-grade sarcoma...
- CD45/CD8 Myeloid Histioid Antigen and Plasma Cell Antibody Immune Response in a Case of Malignant MelanomaAna Maria Abreu-Velez
Georgia Dermatopathology Associates, Atlanta, USA
N Am J Med Sci 4:507-9. 2012..The staining patterns of CD8/CD45, myeloid histoid antigen and plasma cell antibody on inflammatory cells around the melanoma cells suggest an unusual type of immune response...
- Initial experience with videoscopic inguinal lymphadenectomyKeith A Delman
Department of Surgical Oncology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 18:977-82. 2011..Although a limited suprafascial dissection has been reported in the urologic literature, we report our growing experience with VIL applying a comprehensive approach to dissection...