Affiliation: Emory University
- Safety and efficacy of telbivudine for the treatment of chronic hepatitis BMelissa K Osborn
Department of Medicine, Emory, University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ther Clin Risk Manag 5:789-98. 2009..Future research in hepatitis B will focus on the best ways to use existing therapies, including telbivudine, sequentially or in combination in order to maximize viral suppression and minimize the development of antiviral resistance...
- Safety and efficacy of entecavir for the treatment of chronic hepatitis BMelissa Osborn
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Infect Drug Resist 4:55-64. 2011..Because of potent viral suppression and a large genetic barrier to resistance, entecavir is now a first-line choice in most HBV treatment guidelines and has become an integral part of the HBV treatment armamentarium...
- Subdural empyema and other suppurative complications of paranasal sinusitisMelissa K Osborn
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 7:62-7. 2007..The case shows the rapid progression of subdural empyema, which represents a true neurosurgical emergency requiring prompt diagnosis and management...
- Hepatitis B virus and HIV coinfection: relationship of different serological patterns to survival and liver diseaseM K Osborn
School of Medicine, Emory University, Division of Infectious Diseases, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
HIV Med 8:271-9. 2007..The impact of chronic HBV infection or the presence of isolated HBV core antibody on survival in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) has not been well studied...
- Hepatitis B in HIV: Available Treatment Options and Approach to TherapyMelissa Osborn
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, 550 Peachtree Street NE, Seventh Floor, Medical Office Tower at Emory University Hospital Midtown, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
Curr Infect Dis Rep 11:407-13. 2009..In this article, the efficacy in HIV and the best regimens for coinfected patients are discussed for those needing treatment for both infections. A particular emphasis is placed on cross-resistance among hepatitis B drugs...
- Impaired hepatitis C virus (HCV)-specific effector CD8+ T cells undergo massive apoptosis in the peripheral blood during acute HCV infection and in the liver during the chronic phase of infectionHenry Radziewicz
Emory University School of Medicine, 954 Gatewood Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
J Virol 82:9808-22. 2008..This study highlights the importance of cytokine deprivation-mediated apoptosis with consequent down-modulation of the immune response to HCV during acute and chronic infections...
- Antiviral options for the treatment of chronic hepatitis BMelissa K Osborn
Division of Infectious Diseases, Emory University School of Medicine Atlanta, GA, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:1030-4. 2006..Development of drug resistance is a major concern with long-term treatment. Even with successful therapy, patients remain at risk for reactivation of viral replication and require lifelong monitoring...
- Outcomes of patients with hepatitis B who developed antiviral resistance while on the liver transplant waiting listMelissa K Osborn
University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:1454-61. 2007..Use of antiviral salvage therapy might decrease this risk...