Seth D Norrholm
Affiliation: Emory University
- Fear extinction in traumatized civilians with posttraumatic stress disorder: relation to symptom severitySeth D Norrholm
Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Mental Health Service Line, Decatur, Georgia, USA
Biol Psychiatry 69:556-63. 2011..On the basis of our earlier findings, we employed an established fear extinction paradigm to further explore fear dysregulation in a civilian traumatized population...
- Posttraumatic stress disorder may be associated with impaired fear inhibition: relation to symptom severityTanja Jovanovic
Mental Health Service, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Psychiatry Res 167:151-60. 2009..However, the high-symptom PTSD group did not show fear inhibition: these subjects had significantly greater fear potentiation on the AB trials than both the controls and the low-symptom PTSD patients...
- Differences in startle reflex and prepulse inhibition in European-Americans and African-AmericansWendy Hasenkamp
Atlanta Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Psychophysiology 45:876-82. 2008..These findings support the idea of racial differences in startle response. Implications for study design are highlighted, and possible environmental and genetic influences are considered...
- Acoustic startle reduction in cocaine dependence persists for 1 year of abstinenceSarah Corcoran
Mental Health Service, Atlanta VA Medical Center, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 215:93-103. 2011....
- Post-traumatic stress disorder is associated with PACAP and the PAC1 receptorKerry J Ressler
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815, USA
Nature 470:492-7. 2011..These sex-specific effects may occur via oestrogen regulation of ADCYAP1R1. PACAP levels and ADCYAP1R1 SNPs may serve as useful biomarkers to further our mechanistic understanding of PTSD...
- Physiological markers of anxiety are increased in children of abused mothersTanja Jovanovic
Emory University School of Medicine, Dept of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 52:844-52. 2011..The current study employed psychophysiological methods to describe biomarkers of anxiety in children of traumatized mothers...
- Impaired fear inhibition is a biomarker of PTSD but not depressionTanja Jovanovic
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, 49 Jesse Hill Jr Drive, Atlanta, GA 30303
Depress Anxiety 27:244-51. 2010..Given the high comorbidity between PTSD and depression, our goal was to see whether this impairment is specific to PTSD, or a non-specific symptom associated with both disorders...
- Fear potentiation is associated with hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis function in PTSDTanja Jovanovic
Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Atlanta, GA 30303, United States
Psychoneuroendocrinology 35:846-57. 2010..These results suggest that impaired fear inhibition and associated alterations in HPA feedback may reflect amygdala hyperactivity in subjects with PTSD...
- Childhood abuse is associated with increased startle reactivity in adulthoodTanja Jovanovic
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30303, USA
Depress Anxiety 26:1018-26. 2009..The acoustic startle response (ASR) is a subcortical reflex modulated by neural systems implicated in posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The ASR is conserved across species and is increased in rodent models of developmental stress...
- Altered resting psychophysiology and startle response in Croatian combat veterans with PTSDTanja Jovanovic
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Int J Psychophysiol 71:264-8. 2009..Startle habituation and baseline heart-rate appear to offer the most reliable psychophysiological indices of PTSD. This finding replicates trends in the literature in a new population of PTSD patients...
- Versatility of fear-potentiated startle paradigms for assessing human conditioned fear extinction and return of fearSeth D Norrholm
Trauma Recovery Program, Mental Health Service Line, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center Decatur, GA, USA
Front Behav Neurosci 5:77. 2011..We discuss the current results as they relate to future investigations of PTSD-related impairments in fear processing in populations with diverse medical and psychiatric histories...
- PTSD and gene variants: new pathways and new thinkingKelly Skelton
Atlanta VA Medical Center, 1670 Clairmont Rd, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Neuropharmacology 62:628-37. 2012..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder'...
- Contingency awareness and fear inhibition in a human fear-potentiated startle paradigmTanja Jovanovic
Mental Health Service 116A, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Behav Neurosci 120:995-1004. 2006..A response keypad was used to assess contingency awareness on a trial-by-trial basis. Both aware and unaware subjects showed fear-potentiated startle. However, awareness was related to stimulus discrimination and fear inhibition...
- Tailoring therapeutic strategies for treating posttraumatic stress disorder symptom clustersSeth D Norrholm
Atlanta VA Medical Center, Mental Health Service Line, Decatur, GA, USA
Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 6:517-32. 2010..Finally, the review will also address potential genetic approaches to treatment as another form of individualized treatment...