Karyn M Myers
Affiliation: Emory University
- Different mechanisms of fear extinction dependent on length of time since fear acquisitionKaryn M Myers
Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Emory University Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
Learn Mem 13:216-23. 2006..These data support a model in which different neural mechanisms are recruited depending on the temporal delay of fear extinction...
- Mechanisms of fear extinctionK M Myers
Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Mol Psychiatry 12:120-50. 2007..The present paper will cover behavioral, theoretical and neurobiological work, and will conclude with a discussion of clinical implications...
- Timing of extinction relative to acquisition: a parametric analysis of fear extinction in humansSeth D Norrholm
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Behav Neurosci 122:1016-30. 2008..Thus, the results remain inconclusive regarding spontaneous recovery and the timing of extinction and are discussed in terms of performing translational studies of fear in humans...
- Estrogen disrupts the inhibition of fear in female rats, possibly through the antagonistic effects of estrogen receptor alpha (ERalpha) and ERbetaDonna J Toufexis
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, and The Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
J Neurosci 27:9729-35. 2007..In contrast, neither E nor ERalpha and ERbeta agonists affected single-cue fear conditioning in either sex. These data suggest that E does not enhance fear in emotional learning but acts to disrupt the inhibition of fear in females only...
- Conditioned fear extinction and reinstatement in a human fear-potentiated startle paradigmSeth D Norrholm
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Learn Mem 13:681-5. 2006..This is the first demonstration of fear extinction and reinstatement in humans using startle measures...
- Partial reversal of phencyclidine-induced impairment of prepulse inhibition by secretinKaryn M Myers
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:67-73. 2005..Very recently secretin also was administered to schizophrenic patients and found to increase social interaction in some individuals...
- AX+, BX- discrimination learning in the fear-potentiated startle paradigm: possible relevance to inhibitory fear learning in extinctionKaryn M Myers
Department of Psychology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Learn Mem 11:464-75. 2004..We believe this method is a viable alternative to the traditional conditioned inhibition training procedure and will be useful for studying the neural mechanisms of fear inhibition...
- The effect of gonadal hormones and gender on anxiety and emotional learningDonna J Toufexis
Emory University, Department of Psychiatry, Yerkes National Primate Center, 954 Gatewood Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
Horm Behav 50:539-49. 2006....
- Pharmacological treatments that facilitate extinction of fear: relevance to psychotherapyMichael Davis
Emory University School of Medicine, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, and the Yerkes National Primate Center, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
NeuroRx 3:82-96. 2006..It is concluded that extinction is an excellent model system for the study of fear inhibition and an indispensable tool for the screening of putative pharmacotherapies for clinical use...
- Prelimbic cortical BDNF is required for memory of learned fear but not extinction or innate fearDennis C Choi
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:2675-80. 2010..Moreover, use of site-specific, inducible BDNF deletions shows a powerful mechanism that may further our understanding of the pathophysiology of fear-related disorders...
- Fear potentiation and fear inhibition in a human fear-potentiated startle paradigmTanja Jovanovic
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Biol Psychiatry 57:1559-64. 2005..For this reason, we sought to develop a behavioral procedure in humans that would render a stimulus primarily inhibitory...
- Regulation of gephyrin and GABAA receptor binding within the amygdala after fear acquisition and extinctionJasmeer P Chhatwal
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Neurosci 25:502-6. 2005....
- Role of the amygdala in fear extinction measured with potentiated startleMichael Davis
Department of Psychiatry, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 985:218-32. 2003....
- Contingency awareness and fear inhibition in a human fear-potentiated startle paradigmTanja Jovanovic
Mental Health Service 116A, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Behav Neurosci 120:995-1004. 2006..A response keypad was used to assess contingency awareness on a trial-by-trial basis. Both aware and unaware subjects showed fear-potentiated startle. However, awareness was related to stimulus discrimination and fear inhibition...
- Posttraumatic stress disorder may be associated with impaired fear inhibition: relation to symptom severityTanja Jovanovic
Mental Health Service, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Psychiatry Res 167:151-60. 2009..However, the high-symptom PTSD group did not show fear inhibition: these subjects had significantly greater fear potentiation on the AB trials than both the controls and the low-symptom PTSD patients...
- Behavioral and neural analysis of extinctionKaryn M Myers
Department of Psychology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Neuron 36:567-84. 2002..This review considers the behavioral, cellular, and molecular literatures on extinction and presents the most recent advances in our understanding while identifying issues that require considerable further research...
- The role of glutamate and gamma-aminobutyric acid in fear extinction: clinical implications for exposure therapyMichael Davis
Department of Psychology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Biol Psychiatry 52:998-1007. 2002..These insights have significant implications for the conduct of extinction-based clinical interventions for fear disorders...
- Systems-level reconsolidation: reengagement of the hippocampus with memory reactivationKaryn M Myers
Department of Psychology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Neuron 36:340-3. 2002..Two studies in the current issue of Neuron make important advances in our understanding of reconsolidation but reach different conclusions about the modifiability of old memories...
- Mechanisms of short and long interval fear extinctionKaryn Myers; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal aims to employ a combination of biochemical and pharmacologic techniques to dissect the mechanisms of extinction as inhibition vs. erasure of fear. ..