Kristin L Dunkle
Affiliation: Emory University
- Gender-based violence, relationship power, and risk of HIV infection in women attending antenatal clinics in South AfricaKristin L Dunkle
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Lancet 363:1415-21. 2004..No study on women has yet assessed gender-based violence as a risk factor for HIV after adjustment for women's own high-risk behaviours, although these are known to be associated with experience of violence...
- Masculinities and condom use patterns among young rural South Africa men: a cross-sectional baseline surveyN Jama Shai
Gender and Health Research Unit, Medical Research Council MRC, Pretoria, South Africa
BMC Public Health 12:462. 2012..We tested the hypothesis that gender and relationship constructs are associated with condom use among young men living in rural South Africa...
- Transactional relationships and sex with a woman in prostitution: prevalence and patterns in a representative sample of South African menRachel Jewkes
Gender and Health Research Unit, Medical Research Council, Pretoria and School of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
BMC Public Health 12:325. 2012..We describe patterns of engagement in transactional sexual relationships and sex with women in prostitution of South African men, and suggest interpretations that advance our understanding of the phenomenon...
- Associations between depressive symptoms, sexual behaviour and relationship characteristics: a prospective cohort study of young women and men in the Eastern Cape, South AfricaMzikazi Nduna
Department of Psychology, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
J Int AIDS Soc 13:44. 2010..We set out to investigate whether baseline depressive symptomatology was associated with risky sexual behaviour and relationship characteristics of men and women at baseline, as well as those found 12 months later...
- Perpetration of partner violence and HIV risk behaviour among young men in the rural Eastern Cape, South AfricaKristin L Dunkle
Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
AIDS 20:2107-14. 2006..To examine associations between the perpetration of intimate partner violence and HIV risk behaviour among young men in rural South Africa...
- Transactional sex with casual and main partners among young South African men in the rural Eastern Cape: prevalence, predictors, and associations with gender-based violenceKristin L Dunkle
Emory University Atlanta, GA, USA
Soc Sci Med 65:1235-48. 2007..HIV prevention interventions need to explicitly address transactional sex in the context of ideas about masculinity, which place a high emphasis on heterosexual success with, and control of, women...
- New heterosexually transmitted HIV infections in married or cohabiting couples in urban Zambia and Rwanda: an analysis of survey and clinical dataKristin L Dunkle
Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education and Emory Center for AIDS Research, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Lancet 371:2183-91. 2008..We aimed to estimate the proportion of heterosexual transmission of HIV which occurs within married or cohabiting couples in urban Zambia and Rwanda each year...
- Male-on-male intimate partner violence and sexual risk behaviors among money boys and other men who have sex with men in Shanghai, ChinaKristin L Dunkle
Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, Emory University RSPH, Atlanta, GA, USA
Sex Transm Dis 40:362-5. 2013..This study examined the prevalence of IPV and links between IPV and HIV risks among MSM in Shanghai, China...
- Prevalence of consensual male-male sex and sexual violence, and associations with HIV in South Africa: a population-based cross-sectional studyKristin L Dunkle
Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
PLoS Med 10:e1001472. 2013....
- Gender-based violence and HIV: reviewing the evidence for links and causal pathways in the general population and high-risk groupsKristin L Dunkle
Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education and Center for AIDS Research, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Reprod Immunol 69:20-6. 2013..We review the evidence, describe the causal pathways, provide a conceptual framework, and outline prevention and intervention priorities at both the individual and population levels...
- Economically motivated relationships and transactional sex among unmarried African American and white women: results from a U.S. national telephone surveyKristin L Dunkle
Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, Emory University Rollins School of Public Health, Atlanta, GA, USA
Public Health Rep 125:90-100. 2010..We explored links among economically motivated relationships, transactional sex, and risk behavior for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among unmarried African American and white women...
- Effective HIV prevention requires gender-transformative work with menKristin L Dunkle
Sex Transm Infect 83:173-4. 2007
- Transactional sex among women in Soweto, South Africa: prevalence, risk factors and association with HIV infectionKristin L Dunkle
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan, 611 Church Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 3028, USA
Soc Sci Med 59:1581-92. 2004..Research, policy and programmatic initiatives should consider the role of transactional sex in women's HIV risk, with attention to the intersecting roles of violence, poverty, and substance use in shaping women's sexual behaviour...
- Prevalence and patterns of gender-based violence and revictimization among women attending antenatal clinics in Soweto, South AfricaKristin L Dunkle
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48104 3028, USA
Am J Epidemiol 160:230-9. 2004..92, 4.98). This study confirms the need for increased attention by the public health community to primary and secondary prevention of gender-based violence, with a specific need to reduce risk among South African adolescents...