JAMES C WARE
Affiliation: Eastern Virginia Medical School
- Influence of sex and age on duration and frequency of sleep apnea eventsJ C Ware
Sleep Disorders Center, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk 23507, USA
Sleep 23:165-70. 2000..Differences between men and women potentially provide insight into the regulation sleep apnea events. This study, therefore, examined how apnea frequency and duration varied according to age, sex, and sleep stage in a clinical population...
- Medical resident driving simulator performance following a night on callJ Catesby Ware
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Sleep Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Behav Sleep Med 4:1-12. 2006....
- A survey of subjective sleepiness and consequences in attending physiciansIan Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 825 Fairfax Ave, Suite 410, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Behav Sleep Med 6:1-15. 2008..Sleepy physicians were more likely to associate sleep loss with medical errors and driving impairment. Sleepiness may be attenuated by education regarding consequences of insufficient sleep and institution of effective countermeasures...
- Treatment of severe obstructive sleep apnea syndrome with a chinstrapRobert D Vorona
Division of Sleep Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 3:729-30. 2007..A chinstrap alone improved severe obstructive sleep apnea as well as or better than the use of CPAP...
- Symptoms of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and the severity of obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome are not related in sleep disorders center patientsH N Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:1127-33. 2005..Studies suggest obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) frequently manifests in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and that there may be a causal relationship...
- Overweight and obese patients in a primary care population report less sleep than patients with a normal body mass indexRobert D Vorona
Division of Sleep Medicine, Departments of Internal Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:25-30. 2005..Evidence links sleep loss to hormonal changes that could result in obesity. This article examines the association between restricted sleep and obesity in a heterogeneous adult primary care population...
- Multiple sleep latency test by polysomnography: a case reportRobert Daniel Vorona
Department of Internal Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Sentara Norfolk Hospital, Sleep Disorder Center, Virginia 23507, USA
Sleep Breath 7:147-9. 2003..In this case report the authors detail how multiple polysomnograms performed over 6 years eventually suggested that a patient had both obstructive sleep apnea and narcolepsy...
- The long-term results of gastric bypass on indexes of sleep apneaSherry A Guardiano
Sleep Disorders Center Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA, USA
Chest 124:1615-9. 2003..Gastric bypass surgery (GB) facilitates weight loss for morbidly obese patients. Studies show GB will improve symptoms associated with OSA, but little is known regarding the long-term effects of GB on this population...
- Sleep disordered breathing and driving riskRobert D Vorona
Division of Sleep Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, USA
Curr Opin Pulm Med 8:506-10. 2002..Educating the patient with sleep apnea about sleepy driving and objective documentation of treatment efficacy are important in reducing the likelihood of accidents...
- Effects of call on sleep and mood in internal medicine residentsMary Rose
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Behav Sleep Med 6:75-88. 2008..Thus, for these residents on a 1-in-4 schedule, call affects their mood for much of the time when off call and potentially their personal and professional interactions during this period as well...
- Valerian-hops combination and diphenhydramine for treating insomnia: a randomized placebo-controlled clinical trialCharles M Morin
Universite Laval, Ecole de Psychologie, Sainte Foy, Quebec, Canada
Sleep 28:1465-71. 2005..Although it is often self-treated with herbal and dietary supplements or with over-the-counter sleep aids, there is still little evidence on the efficacy and safety of those products...