Affiliation: Eastern Virginia Medical School
- Clinical collection and protein properties of expressed prostatic secretions as a source for biomarkers of prostatic diseaseRichard R Drake
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Cell Biology, Center for Biomedical Proteomics, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia 23507, USA
J Proteomics 72:907-17. 2009..Continued characterization of the prostate specific protein components of EPS urine combined with optimization of clinical collection procedures should facilitate discovery of new biomarkers for prostate cancer...
- Challenges to developing proteomic-based breast cancer diagnosticsRichard R Drake
Cancer Biology and Infectious Disease Research Center, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia 23507, USA
OMICS 15:251-9. 2011..Based on these limitations, research strategies emphasizing identification of glycoprotein biomarkers in blood and MALDI mass spectrometry imaging of tissues are described...
- In-depth proteomic analyses of direct expressed prostatic secretionsRichard R Drake
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Cell Biology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia 23517, USA
J Proteome Res 9:2109-16. 2010..To further streamline this process, the entire data set was deposited to the Tranche repository for use by other researchers...
- Serum, salivary and tissue proteomics for discovery of biomarkers for head and neck cancersRichard R Drake
Eastern Virginia Medical School, Center for Biomedical Proteomics, Department of Microbiology and Molecular Cell Biology, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 5:93-100. 2005..Issues related to assay reproducibility, management of large data sets and future improvements in clinical proteomics are also addressed...
- Proteomics for biodefense applications: progress and opportunitiesRichard R Drake
Scientific Center for Biodefense, Center for Biomedical Proteomics, Department of Microbiology and Molecular Cell Biology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Expert Rev Proteomics 2:203-13. 2005..A translational proteomic research paradigm illustrating this approach using influenza virus as an example is discussed...
- Differential capture of serum proteins for expression profiling and biomarker discovery in pre- and posttreatment head and neck cancer samplesGary L Freed
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Cell Biology, Center for Biomedical Proteomics, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 700 W Olney Road, Norfolk, VA 23507, U S A
Laryngoscope 118:61-8. 2008..We have previously demonstrated that protein expression profiling of serum can identify multiple protein biomarker events that can serve as molecular fingerprints for the assessment of HNSCC disease state and prognosis...
- Identification of reproducible low mass SELDI protein profiles specific to cisplatin resistance in human ovarian cancer cellsRichard A Britten
Department of Radiation Oncology, 600 Gresham Drive, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Oncol Rep 14:1323-30. 2005..These data suggest that SELDI-based proteomic profiling may be useful in monitoring the emergence of cisplatin-resistant tumor cell clones...
- The identification of serum biomarkers of high-let radiation exposure and biological sequelaeRichard A Britten
Department of Radiation Oncology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Health Phys 98:196-203. 2010....
- Proteomic expression profiling and identification of serum proteins using immobilized trypsin beads with MALDI-TOF/TOFIzabela D Karbassi
George L Wright, Jr Center for Biomedical Proteomics, Department of Microbiology and Molecular Cell Biology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
J Proteome Res 8:4182-92. 2009..A proof-of-concept pilot experiment using pooled human serum samples demonstrating reproducibility is presented, along with the sequence determination of selected tryptic peptides of serum proteins...
- Imaging mass spectrometry of a specific fragment of mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase kinase kinase 2 discriminates cancer from uninvolved prostate tissueLisa H Cazares
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Cell Biology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia 23507, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:5541-51. 2009..Direct profiling of proteins from tissue using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization imaging mass spectrometry has the potential to supplement morphology with underlying molecular detail...
- Serum biomarkers to differentiate benign and malignant mammographic lesionsSusanna Shin
Department of Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
J Am Coll Surg 204:1065-71; discussion 1071-3. 2007..Our objective was to determine if serum protein-expression profiles could be used to differentiate between benign and malignant mammographic lesions...
- Proteomic approach to breast cancerChristine Laronga
Department of Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Cancer Control 14:360-8. 2007..Proteomics is a rapidly developing field that can explore the heterogeneity of breast cancer and supplement the wealth of information gained from genomics...
- Serum proteomic biomarker discovery reflective of stage and obesity in breast cancer patientsNicholas P Schaub
Division of Surgical Oncology, Center for Biomedical Proteomics, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
J Am Coll Surg 208:970-8; discussion 978-80. 2009..The goals of this study were to use proteomic mass spectrometry approaches for profiling, fractionation, and identification of serum proteins from breast cancer patients for discovery of new biomarkers of stage and nodal status...
- Characterization of a Staphylococcus aureus USA300 protein signature using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometrySarah R Boggs
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital of the King s Daughters, Norfolk, VA 23510, USA
J Med Microbiol 61:640-4. 2012..19 and negative likelihood ratio of 0.15. The three-peak intensity MALDI-TOF model designed and tested in the current study can be used to rapidly identify USA300 family S. aureus isolates with reasonable sensitivity and specificity...
- Glycomic characterization of prostate-specific antigen and prostatic acid phosphatase in prostate cancer and benign disease seminal plasma fluidsKrista Y White
Department of Microbiology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia 23507, USA
J Proteome Res 8:620-30. 2009..The glycans identified in these studies will allow for more defined targeting of prostate disease-specific changes for PAP, PSA and other secreted prostatic glycoproteins...
- Lectin capture strategies combined with mass spectrometry for the discovery of serum glycoprotein biomarkersRichard R Drake
Center for Biomedical Proteomics, Virginia Prostate Center, and Department of Microbiology and Molecular Cell Biology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, 23507, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 5:1957-67. 2006..Our example workflow incorporates the necessity of early validation in biomarker discovery using an immunoaffinity-based targeted analytical approach that integrates well with upstream discovery technologies...
- SELDI-TOF MS profiling of serum for detection of the progression of chronic hepatitis C to hepatocellular carcinomaE Ellen Schwegler
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Cell Biology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA, USA
Hepatology 41:634-42. 2005..In conclusion, SELDI-TOF MS serum profiling is able to distinguish HCC from liver disease before cirrhosis as well as cirrhosis, especially in patients with HCV infection compared with other etiologies...
- Surfaced-enhanced laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight (SELDI-TOF) differentiation of serum protein profiles of BRCA-1 and sporadic breast cancerStephen Becker
Department of Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 825 Fairfax Avenue, Suite 610, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 11:907-14. 2004..Follow-up studies with larger numbers and longer follow-up are required to validate these findings but may allow more timely prophylactic or therapeutic strategies...
- SELDI-TOF serum profiling for prognostic and diagnostic classification of breast cancersChristine Laronga
Department of Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia and the Virginia Prostate Center, Norfolk, VA, USA
Dis Markers 19:229-38. 2003..These initial results indicate the utility of protein profiling approaches for developing new diagnostic and prognostic assays for breast cancers...
- Precision enhancement of MALDI-TOF MS using high resolution peak detection and label-free alignmentMaureen B Tracy
William and Mary Research Institute, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA, USA
Proteomics 8:1530-8. 2008..We show that the CV for m/z is 0.01% (100 ppm) for 12 out of the 13 peaks that were observed in all datasets between 2995 and 9297 Da...
- Resampling and deconvolution of linear time-of-flight records for enhanced protein profilingDariya I Malyarenko
Departments of Physics and Applied Science, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA 23187 8795, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 20:1670-8. 2006..This approach is particularly appropriate for automated data analysis and peak detection in dense TOF spectra...
- Pharmacoproteomic analysis of prechemotherapy and postchemotherapy plasma samples from patients receiving neoadjuvant or adjuvant chemotherapy for breast carcinomaLajos Pusztai
Department of Breast Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4009, USA
Cancer 100:1814-22. 2004..The authors also compared the plasma profiles of patients with cancer with the plasma profiles of healthy women to identify breast carcinoma-associated protein markers...
- ENGINEERED THYMIDINE KINASES FOR CANCER GENE THERAPYRichard Drake; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Proteomic Profiling for Influenza Vaccination/InfectionRichard Drake; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies could lead to the development of crucial new paradigms for detection, diagnosis and vaccination strategies necessary to increase our national biodefense preparedness against viral pathogens. ..
- Glycan Biomarkers of Prostate Cancer in Prostatic FluidsRichard R Drake; Fiscal Year: 2010..Identification of these molecular markers will improve prostate cancer detection and risk stratification prior to biopsy and prostatectomy procedures. ..