TIMOTHY J contact STRAUMAN
Affiliation: Duke University Medical Center
- What shall I be, what must I be: neural correlates of personal goal activationTimothy J Strauman
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Duke University Durham, NC, USA
Front Integr Neurosci 6:123. 2012..The results support a fundamental distinction between promotion and prevention and extend our understanding of how personal goals influence behavior...
- Genetic moderation of the association between regulatory focus and reward responsiveness: a proof-of-concept studyElena L Goetz
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
Biol Mood Anxiety Disord 3:3. 2013..abstract:..
- Individual differences in self-regulatory failure and menstrual dysfunction predict upper respiratory infection symptoms and antibody response to flu immunizationTimothy J Strauman
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Duke University, Box 90086, 9 Flowers Drive, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Brain Behav Immun 22:769-80. 2008..Perceived failure to attain goals did predict the reporting of URI symptoms as well as antibody levels post-immunization, both alone and in combination with menstrual dysfunction...
- Paradigms, promises, and the potential of clinical psychologyT J Strauman
Department of Psychology, Social and Health Sciences, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Clin Psychol 57:1125-32. 2001....
- Self-system therapy as an intervention for self-regulatory dysfunction in depression: a randomized comparison with cognitive therapyTimothy J Strauman
Department of Psychology Social and Health Sciences, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 74:367-76. 2006..In addition, SST patients showed a greater reduction in dysphoric responses to promotion goal priming than did CT patients. The results illustrate the value of a theory-based translational approach to treatment design and selection...
- Self-regulatory cognition and immune reactivity: idiographic success and failure feedback effects on the natural killer cellTimothy J Strauman
Department of Psychology Social and Health Sciences, Duke University, Box 90085, 9 Flowers Drive, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Brain Behav Immun 18:544-54. 2004..If repeated and sustained over time, incidental activation of self-discrepancies and self-congruencies could account for individual variation in immune responses...
- Neural correlates of idiographic goal priming in depression: goal-specific dysfunctions in the orbitofrontal cortexKari M Eddington
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC 27402 6170, USA
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 4:238-46. 2009..The findings extend models of the etiology of depression to incorporate cognitive and motivational processes underlying higher order goal representation and ultimately may provide an empirical basis for treatment matching...
- Using functional magnetic resonance imaging in psychotherapy research: a brief introduction to concepts, methods, and task selectionMadeline M Carrig
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Psychother Res 19:409-17. 2009..They discuss how task selection influences the conclusions that can be drawn from fMRI studies of psychotherapeutic intervention and close with recommendations and caveats for the consumer of fMRI/psychotherapy research...
- Social support and coronary heart disease: epidemiologic evidence and implications for treatmentHeather S Lett
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Psychosom Med 67:869-78. 2005..The present paper reviews theories of social support and evidence for the role of social support in the development and progression of coronary heart disease (CHD)...
- Neural correlates of promotion and prevention goal activation: an fMRI study using an idiographic approachKari M Eddington
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Duke University, Box 90085, 9 Flowers Drive, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Cogn Neurosci 19:1152-62. 2007..Findings regarding prevention goal priming were not consistent with predictions. The data illustrate the centrality of self-regulation and personal goal pursuit within the multilayered process of social cognition...
- Laboratory-based blood pressure recovery is a predictor of ambulatory blood pressureRanak Trivedi
Box 3119 Duke University Medical Center, Durham NC 27710, United States
Biol Psychol 77:317-23. 2008..Results suggest that persistence of the BP response following stress may be a more salient characteristic of the stress response in understanding its potential impact on longer term cardiovascular regulation...
- Self-regulation, rumination, and vulnerability to depression in adolescent girlsAlison A Papadakis
Loyola College in Maryland, Department of Psychology, Baltimore 21210, USA
Dev Psychopathol 18:815-29. 2006..We discuss the implications of this integrative psychosocial model for the etiology, treatment, and prevention of depression in adolescent girls...
- Self-discrepancy in chronic low back pain: relation to pain, depression, and psychological distressSandra J Waters
Pain Prevention and Treatment Program, Duke University Medical Center, DUMC 3159, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 27:251-9. 2004....
- Universal session-level change processes in an early session of psychotherapy: path modelsGregory G Kolden
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School, Madison, WI 53719 1176, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 74:327-36. 2006..Discussion highlights a complex conception of the therapy relationship that underscores the importance of investigating the multiple functions that the therapy relationship might serve in different psychotherapies...
- The development of children's ideal and ought self-guides: parenting, temperament, and individual differences in guide strengthNanmathi Manian
Child and Family Research, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, MD 20892 7971, USA
J Pers 74:1619-45. 2006..In turn, the parenting factors predicted individual differences in children's orientations to ideal and ought guides, and those associations were moderated by individual differences in child temperament...
- SELF-REGULATION DEPRESSIVE/ANXIOUS SYMPTOMS AND URIsTimothy Strauman; Fiscal Year: 2002..Study 4, again following high-risk and low-risk women through naturalistic challenges, will test a brief intervention based on Pennebaker's studies of the health impact of disclosure. ..
- Self/Brain/Behavior Systems in DepressionTimothy Strauman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..