Daniel J Lew
Affiliation: Duke University Medical Center
- Chiou J, Balasubramanian M, Lew D. Cell Polarity in Yeast. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2017;33:77-101 pubmed publisher..Species-specific pathways regulate the timing of polarization during the cell cycle, as well as the location and number of polarity sites. ..
- Lew D. Cell-cycle checkpoints that ensure coordination between nuclear and cytoplasmic events in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2000;10:47-53 pubmed..Thus, specific cell-cycle regulators are well-placed to monitor whether a cell has formed a bud and whether a daughter nucleus has been delivered accurately to the bud following mitosis. ..
- Woods B, Kuo C, Wu C, Zyla T, Lew D. Polarity establishment requires localized activation of Cdc42. J Cell Biol. 2015;211:19-26 pubmed publisher..Here we show that Cdc42 activation must be localized for successful polarity establishment, supporting local activation rather than local delivery as the dominant mechanism in this system. ..
- ..Together, these findings suggest a model for how cells may monitor aspects of their own shape to influence cell behavior. ..
- Woods B, LAI H, Wu C, Zyla T, Savage N, Lew D. Parallel Actin-Independent Recycling Pathways Polarize Cdc42 in Budding Yeast. Curr Biol. 2016;26:2114-26 pubmed publisher..We suggest that GAP activity cooperates with the GDI to counteract the dissipative effect of a previously unappreciated pathway whereby GTP-Cdc42 escapes from the polarity site through the cytoplasm. ..
- Kuo C, Savage N, Chen H, Wu C, Zyla T, Lew D. Inhibitory GEF phosphorylation provides negative feedback in the yeast polarity circuit. Curr Biol. 2014;24:753-9 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a mechanism for negative feedback and suggest that the function of negative feedback via GEF inhibition is to buffer the level of Cdc42 at the polarity site. ..
- Kang H, Tsygankov D, Lew D. Sensing a bud in the yeast morphogenesis checkpoint: a role for Elm1. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1764-75 pubmed publisher..Moreover, recruitment of Elm1 is responsive to bud emergence. Our findings suggest that Elm1 plays a key role in sensing bud emergence. ..
- McClure A, Wu C, Johnson S, Lew D. Imaging Polarization in Budding Yeast. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1407:13-23 pubmed publisher....