Eric M Darling
Affiliation: Duke University Medical Center
- Growth factor impact on articular cartilage subpopulationsEric M Darling
Department of Bioengineering, MS 142, Rice University, P O Box 1892, Houston, TX 77251, USA
Cell Tissue Res 322:463-73. 2005..Thus, growth factors elicit different proliferation, gene expression, and biosynthesis responses from zonal chondrocyte subpopulations...
- Retaining zonal chondrocyte phenotype by means of novel growth environmentsEric M Darling
Department of Bioengineering, Rice University, Houston, Texas, USA
Tissue Eng 11:395-403. 2005..These results indicate that a culture environment using aggrecan as a substratum or agarose as a scaffold is crucial to the development of phenotypically correct articular cartilage...
- Zonal and topographical differences in articular cartilage gene expressionEric M Darling
Department of Bioengineering, Rice University, PO Box 1892, Houston, TX 77251 1892, USA
J Orthop Res 22:1182-7. 2004..No significant variations in SZP, type II collagen, or aggrecan were found, which makes the pooling of zonal cells from different regions an acceptable option for tissue engineering studies...
- Biomechanical strategies for articular cartilage regenerationEric M Darling
Musculoskeletal Bioengineering Laboratory, Department of Bioengineering, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77251, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 31:1114-24. 2003..This article focuses on the importance of mechanical forces in tissue engineering of articular cartilage and the growth factors that help stimulate the formation of load-bearing tissue...
- Rapid phenotypic changes in passaged articular chondrocyte subpopulationsEric M Darling
Department of Bioengineering, Rice University, MS 142, P O Box 1892, Houston, TX 77251, USA
J Orthop Res 23:425-32. 2005..The results of this study suggest that major problems exist at the front-end of cartilage regeneration efforts...
- Articular cartilage bioreactors and bioprocessesEric M Darling
Department of Bioengineering, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77251, USA
Tissue Eng 9:9-26. 2003..All these forces have been integrated into culturing devices that serve as bioreactors for articular cartilage. The strengths and weaknesses of each device and stimulus are explored, as is the future of cartilage bioreactors...
- Viscoelastic properties of human mesenchymally-derived stem cells and primary osteoblasts, chondrocytes, and adipocytesEric M Darling
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Biomech 41:454-64. 2008..Furthermore, the identification of mechanical properties distinct to stem cells could result in more successful sorting procedures to enrich multipotent progenitor cell populations...
- Stem cell characterization using atomic force microscopyERIC DARLING; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will significantly improve our understanding of the cellular-level changes that occur during the stem cell differentiation process. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Adult Stem Cell Enrichment via Biomechanical CharacterizationERIC DARLING; Fiscal Year: 2007..The entire proposed project will produce significant advances in the areas of mechanotransduction, stem cell biology, and tissue engineering. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..