Philip J Cook
Affiliation: Duke University Medical Center
- Sources of guns to dangerous people: what we learn by asking themPhilip J Cook
Duke University and NBER, USA Electronic address
Prev Med 79:28-36. 2015....
- The virtuous tax: lifesaving and crime-prevention effects of the 1991 federal alcohol-tax increasePhilip J Cook
Public Policy and Economics, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708 0245, USA
J Health Econ 32:261-7. 2013..A conservative estimate is that the federal tax (which increased alcohol prices by 6% initially) reduced injury deaths by 4.5% (6480 deaths), in 1991, and had a still larger effect on violent crime...
- Criminal records of homicide offendersPhilip J Cook
Department of Public Policy Studies, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708 0245, USA
JAMA 294:598-601. 2005..But the prevalence of a criminal record among homicide offenders has not been reliably quantified, nor has the prevalence of criminal record in the general population...
- When is alcohol just another drug? Some thoughts on research and policyPhilip J Cook
Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Addiction 102:1183-8. 2007..To reflect on the divergence and overlap between alcohol and illicit drugs with respect to both current policies and policy research...
- The economics of alcohol abuse and alcohol-control policiesPhilip J Cook
Terry Sanford Institute of Public Policy, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 21:120-33. 2002..Important challenges remain, including developing a better understanding of the effects of drinking on labor-market productivity...
- The costs of gun violence against childrenPhilip J Cook
Sanford Institute of Public Policy, Duke University, USA
Future Child 12:86-99. 2002..The authors note that in light of the substantial costs of gun violence, even modestly effective regulatory and other interventions may generate benefits to society that exceed costs...