- Comparison of insulin glargine and NPH insulin in the treatment of type 2 diabetes: a review of clinical studiesWilliam Duckworth
Carl T Hayden VA Medical Center, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
J Diabetes Complications 21:196-204. 2007..The known pathophysiology of Type 2 diabetes and the need for basal insulin treatment are presented as rationale for comparison of these insulins...
- Racial and ethnic disparities in the control of cardiovascular disease risk factors in Southwest American veterans with type 2 diabetes: the Diabetes Outcomes in Veterans StudyChristopher S Wendel
Southern Arizona VA Health Care System, Tucson, AZ 85723, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 6:58. 2006..We examined the association between race/ethnicity and cardiovascular disease risk factor control in a large cohort of insulin-treated veterans with type 2 diabetes...
- The duration of diabetes affects the response to intensive glucose control in type 2 subjects: the VA Diabetes TrialWilliam C Duckworth
Phoenix VA Health Care Center, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
J Diabetes Complications 25:355-61. 2011..No significant benefit was found. This report examines predictors of the effect of intensive therapy on the primary outcome in this population...
- Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetesWilliam Duckworth
Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care Center, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
N Engl J Med 360:129-39. 2009..The effects of intensive glucose control on cardiovascular events in patients with long-standing type 2 diabetes mellitus remain uncertain...
- Intensive glucose-lowering therapy reduces cardiovascular disease events in veterans affairs diabetes trial participants with lower calcified coronary atherosclerosisPeter D Reaven
Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Diabetes 58:2642-8. 2009..This study investigated the hypothesis that baseline calcified coronary atherosclerosis may determine cardiovascular disease events in response to intensive glycemic control within the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial (VADT)...
- Proliferative diabetic retinopathy in type 2 diabetes is related to coronary artery calcium in the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial (VADT)Peter D Reaven
Carl T Hayden VA Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85012 1892, USA
Diabetes Care 31:952-7. 2008..We determined the relationship between retinopathy and coronary atherosclerosis as measured by computed tomography-detectable coronary artery calcium (CAC)...
- Improvements in glycemic control in type 2 diabetes patients switched from sulfonylurea coadministered with metformin to glyburide-metformin tabletsWilliam Duckworth
Carl T. Hayden VA Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 9:256-62. 2003..A randomized, prospective trial comparing these 2 methods of treatment is needed, however, to determine the precise effect provided by the unique formulation of glyburide in the glyburide-metformin tablet...
- Preliminary report: hepatic fat and inflammation in type 2 diabetes mellitusAramesh Saremi
Phoenix VA Health Care System, Phoenix, AZ 85012 1892, USA
Metabolism 59:430-2. 2010..These data support the concept that accumulation of hepatic fat is related to enhanced inflammation in type 2 diabetes mellitus independent of general measures of obesity and standard cardiovascular risk factors...
- Design of combination angiotensin receptor blocker and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor for treatment of diabetic nephropathy (VA NEPHRON-D)Linda F Fried
Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System and Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylviania 15240, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:361-8. 2009..This paper discusses the design and key methodological issues that arose during the planning of the study...
- Blood pressure and cardiovascular disease risk in the Veterans Affairs Diabetes TrialRobert J Anderson
Section of Endocrinology, VA Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Diabetes Care 34:34-8. 2011..Our objective was to determine whether baseline and follow-up (On-Study) systolic blood pressure (SBP), diastolic blood pressure (DBP), and SBP combined with DBP predict CVD events in the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial (VADT)...
- Design of the cooperative study on glycemic control and complications in diabetes mellitus type 2: Veterans Affairs Diabetes TrialCarlos Abraira
VA Medical Center, Miami, FL 33125, USA
J Diabetes Complications 17:314-22. 2003..Recruitment is proceeding on schedule: the current mean HbA1c at entry is 9.4+/-1.6% and mean duration of diagnosed diabetes 11+/-8 years...
- The association between metabolic control and prevalent macrovascular disease in Type 2 diabetes: the VA Cooperative Study in diabetesM Sue Kirkman
The Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Diabetes Complications 20:75-80. 2006....
- Ethnicity, race, and baseline retinopathy correlates in the veterans affairs diabetes trialNicholas Emanuele
Research Service, Hines Veterans Affairs Hospital, Hines, Illinois, USA
Diabetes Care 28:1954-8. 2005....