Patricia M Dubbert
- Physical activity and exercise: recent advances and current challengesPatricia M Dubbert
Mental Health Service, G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 70:526-36. 2002..Nevertheless, physical activity remained at low levels in most population subgroups throughout the past decade. Psychologists can make important contributions to efforts to address this ongoing challenge to public health...
- Physical activity assessment methods in the Jackson Heart StudyPatricia M Dubbert
GV Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
Ethn Dis 15:S6-56-61. 2005..Physical activity measures used in exam 1 of the Jackson Heart Study (JHS), including the diet and physical activity substudy (DPASS), are described...
- Overweight and obesity: prevalence, consequences, and causes of a growing public health problemSharon B Wyatt
Schools of Nursing and Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, and from the Sonny Montgomery Veteran s Affairs Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216 4505, USA
Am J Med Sci 331:166-74. 2006..Novel multidisciplinary, preventive, and therapeutic approaches, and social changes are needed that address the complex interplay of biologic, genetic, and social factors that have created the current obesity epidemic...
- Counseling for home-based walking and strength exercise in older primary care patientsPatricia M Dubbert
G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:979-86. 2008..We evaluated the effects of counseling linked with primary care visits on walking and "strength exercise" (the combination of strength-building and flexibility exercise) in aging veterans...
- Physical activity in patients who are severely mentally ill: feasibility of assessment for clinical and research applicationsPatricia M Dubbert
G V Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 1500 E Woodrow Wilson Drive, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Arch Psychiatr Nurs 20:205-9. 2006..Correlations between physical activity measures and psychiatric symptoms suggested interesting patterns for future study...
- Evaluation of the 7-day physical activity recall in urban and rural menPatricia M Dubbert
G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:1646-54. 2004..To assess reliability and validity of the 7-d physical activity recall (PAR) in 60- to 80-yr-old men from urban and rural homes in the southeastern United States...
- Effects of nurse counseling on walking for exercise in elderly primary care patientsPatricia M Dubbert
G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 57:M733-40. 2002..Conclusions. Simple and relatively inexpensive nurse contacts can motivate elderly primary care patients to walk for exercise, and this activity is associated with measurable health benefits...
- Obesity, physical inactivity, and risk for cardiovascular diseasePatricia M Dubbert
University of Mississippi School of Medicine, Jackson, USA
Am J Med Sci 324:116-26. 2002..The Jackson Heart Study will provide important and unique information relevant to many unanswered questions about obesity, physical inactivity, and obesity in African Americans...
- Physical activity and obesity in African Americans: the Jackson Heart StudyPatricia M Dubbert
G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center, USA
Ethn Dis 20:383-9. 2010....
- Validation of the Jackson Heart Study Physical Activity Survey in African AmericansTodd A Smitherman
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
J Phys Act Health 6:S124-32. 2009..The current study aimed to establish the psychometric properties of the activity survey used in the Jackson Heart Study (JHS) among African Americans, the JHS Physical Activity Cohort survey (JPAC)...
- Social patterning of cumulative biological risk by education and income among African AmericansDeMarc A Hickson
Jackson Heart Study, Jackson State University, Jackson, MS 39213, USA
Am J Public Health 102:1362-9. 2012..We examined the social patterning of cumulative dysregulation of multiple systems, or allostatic load, among African Americans adults...
- Are religiosity and spirituality associated with obesity among African Americans in the southeastern United States (the Jackson Heart Study)?Roy R Reeves
G V Sonny Montgomery VA Medical Center, Mental Health Service, 1500 E Woodrow Wilson Drive, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
J Relig Health 51:32-48. 2012..The association between religion and spirituality and weight gain deserves further investigation in studies with a longitudinal study design...
- Pilot testing of an HIV medication adherence intervention in a public clinic in the Deep SouthDeborah J Konkle-Parker
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Department of Mental Health, G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Administration Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 24:488-98. 2012..Strict adherence to HIV medications is critical to ensure long-term disease control, and adherence interventions that are possible in a clinic setting with limited resources are needed...
- Psychological assessment and management of the weight loss surgery patientKaren B Grothe
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, the G V Sonny Montgomery VA Medical Center, and the South Central Veterans Affairs Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216 4505, USA
Am J Med Sci 331:201-6. 2006....
- Predicting implementation from organizational readiness for change: a study protocolChristian D Helfrich
Northwest Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, VA Puget Sound Healthcare System, Seattle, Washington, USA
Implement Sci 6:76. 2011..abstract:..
- Trial design: blood pressure control and weight gain prevention in prehypertensive and hypertensive smokers: the treatment and prevention studyMark W Vander Weg
Iowa City VA Medical Center, Center for Research in the Implementation of Innovative Strategies in Practice CRIISP, University of Iowa Dept of Internal Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 29:281-92. 2008..Intervention strategies that facilitate smoking cessation and modify adverse changes in body weight and BP are needed...
- Depression, screening and quality of life in chronic kidney diseaseGeeta Gyamlani
VA Medical Center, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Am J Med Sci 342:186-91. 2011....
- Physical activity and subclinical MRI cerebral infarcts: the ARIC StudyPatricia M Dubbert
G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center 11M, 1500 E Woodrow Wilson, Jackson, MS 39216, United States
J Neurol Sci 284:135-9. 2009..We hypothesized that physical activity (PA), which is often associated with reduced risk of ischemic stroke, may also be associated with reduced risk of subclinical cerebral infarcts...
- Lessons learned from an HIV adherence pilot study in the Deep SouthDeborah J Konkle-Parker
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Division of Infectious Diseases, 2500 N State Street, Jackson, MS 39216, United States
Patient Educ Couns 78:91-6. 2010..Adherence to treatment for chronic illnesses, including HIV disease, is a complex process, and needs practical interventions in poorly resourced clinic settings...
- The influence of physical activity on alcohol consumption among heavy drinkers participating in an alcohol treatment interventionDarla E Kendzor
G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Mental Health Services, 1500 East Woodrow Wilson Drive, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
Addict Behav 33:1337-43. 2008..However, commonly endorsed activities may be easily incorporated into interventions in which physical activity is a desired component...
- Barriers and facilitators to medication adherence in a southern minority population with HIV diseaseDeborah J Konkle-Parker
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 19:98-104. 2008..In the South, faith and prayer may be strong facilitators that need to be considered when adapting existing adherence interventions...
- Mechanisms of obesity-associated cardiovascular and renal diseaseJohn E Hall
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, and Center for Excellence in Cardiovascular Renal Research, The University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216 4505, USA
Am J Med Sci 324:127-37. 2002....
- Sociocultural methods in the Jackson Heart Study: conceptual and descriptive overviewThomas J Payne
School of Medicine, Examination Center, Jackson Heart Study, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216 4505, USA
Ethn Dis 15:S6-38-48. 2005..This paper describes the rationale and overall approach for sociocultural assessment in the JHS, both generally and for each content area...
- Dietary assessment in African Americans: methods used in the Jackson Heart StudyTeresa Carithers
School of Medicine, Examination Center, Jackson Heart Study, University of Mississippi Medical Center, USA
Ethn Dis 15:S6-49-55. 2005..These methods were employed to validate culturally explicit data collection instruments developed by Delta Nutrition Intervention Research Initiative (NIRI) for assessing dietary intake in an all African-American cohort...
- Physical activity and physical activity adherence in the elderly based on smoking statusTheodore V Cooper
Department of Psychology, The University of Texas at El Paso, United States
Addict Behav 32:2268-73. 2007..Results are consistent with recommendations to use physical exercise as an aid to tobacco cessation, even in aging men with extensive smoking histories...
- Efficacy of a program to encourage walking in VA elderly primary care patients: the role of painJamie L Rhudy
Department of Psychology, The University of Tulsa, Tulsa, OK 74104, USA
Psychol Health Med 12:289-98. 2007..These results suggest that patients can be encouraged to engage in physical activity, even if they are currently suffering from pain...
- Physical activity intervention studies: what we know and what we need to know: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism (Subcommittee on Physical Activity); Council on CardiovasculaBess H Marcus
Brown Medical School, USA
Circulation 114:2739-52. 2006..Our second purpose is to offer new ideas and recommendations to improve the state of the science within each area and, where possible, to propose ideas to help bridge the gaps between these existing categories of research...
- Pregnant women's beliefs and influences regarding exercise during pregnancyElizabeth E Krans
University of Mississippi Medical Center, USA
J Miss State Med Assoc 46:67-73. 2005..To sample women's exercise habits and beliefs regarding exercise during pregnancy and to determine patient awareness and physician communication of ACOG's 2002 guidelines for exercise during pregnancy...
- Affective modulation of pain in substance-dependent veteransJamie L Rhudy
The University of Tulsa, 600 South College, Tulsa, OK 74104, USA
Pain Med 7:483-500. 2006....