Douglas O Staiger
Affiliation: Dartmouth Medical School
- Comparison of physician workforce estimates and supply projectionsDouglas O Staiger
Department of Economics, 301 Rockefeller Hall, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
JAMA 302:1674-80. 2009..Estimates of physician supply in the United States have been based on data that may overestimate the number of older physicians in the workforce...
- Trends in the work hours of physicians in the United StatesDouglas O Staiger
Department of Economics, Dartmouth College, Rockefeller Hall, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
JAMA 303:747-53. 2010..Recent trends in hours worked by physicians may affect workforce needs but have not been thoroughly analyzed...
- Are mortality rates for different operations related?: implications for measuring the quality of noncardiac surgeryJustin B Dimick
Michigan Surgical Collaborative for Outcomes Research and Evaluation M SCORE, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Med Care 44:774-8. 2006..Statistical power can be improved by combining mortality data from multiple operations. We sought to determine whether this approach would still be useful in understanding performance with individual procedures...
- Creating accountable care organizations: the extended hospital medical staffElliott S Fisher
Dartmouth Medical School and the Center for the Evaluative Clinical Sciences, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:w44-57. 2007..Efforts to create accountable care organizations at this level--the extended hospital medical staff--deserve consideration as a potential means of improving the quality and lowering the cost of care...
- Health care reform and the health care workforce--the Massachusetts experienceDouglas O Staiger
Department of Economics, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, USA
N Engl J Med 365:e24. 2011..Data on employment in the health care industry were examined to determine the impact of the Massachusetts reform on the state's health care workforce...
- Observational intensity bias associated with illness adjustment: cross sectional analysis of insurance claimsJohn E Wennberg
The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, The Audrey and Theodor Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
BMJ 346:f549. 2013..To determine the bias associated with frequency of visits by physicians in adjusting for illness, using diagnoses recorded in administrative databases...
- Empirically derived composite measures of surgical performanceDouglas O Staiger
Department of Economics and the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
Med Care 47:226-33. 2009..Despite growing interest in composite measures, empirically-based methods for combining multiple domains of surgical quality are not well established...