Affiliation: Dartmouth Medical School
- Learning what matters for patients: qualitative evaluation of a health promotion program for those with serious mental illnessBrian Shiner
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
Health Promot Int 23:275-82. 2008..Health-promotion programs that target these areas may have better success in achieving health benefits for persons with SMI...
- Improving depression care in a psychiatry resident psychopharmacology clinic: measurement, monitoring, feedback and educationBrian Shiner
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA
Qual Saf Health Care 19:234-8. 2010..The effectiveness of an intervention to facilitate proactive treatment for MDD in a resident psychopharmacology clinic was studied...
- Does the Veterans Affairs depression performance measure predict quality care?Brian Shiner
Department of Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center, White River Junction, Vermont, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 37:170-7. 2011..The VA depression performance measure was compared with an empirically validated model for assessing adherence to important depression treatment processes...
- The White River model of colocated collaborative care: A platform for mental and behavioral health care in the medical homeAndrew S Pomerantz
White River Junction VA Medical Center, White River Junction, VT, USA
Fam Syst Health 28:114-29. 2010..Originally developed in a capitated health care system, adherence to general principles that guided its development may be useful in any system of care...
- Usefulness of symptom feedback to providers in an integrated primary care--mental health care clinicLisa Zubkoff
White River Junction Veterans Affairs Medical Center WRJ VAMC, White River Junction, Vermont 05009, USA
Psychiatr Serv 63:91-3. 2012..Measurement-based care has been endorsed but not embraced in mental health settings. There is currently little guidance regarding the best methods to implement measurement-based care...
- RESPECT-PTSD: re-engineering systems for the primary care treatment of PTSD, a randomized controlled trialPaula P Schnurr
National Center for PTSD, VAMC, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
J Gen Intern Med 28:32-40. 2013..Although collaborative care is effective for treating depression and other mental disorders in primary care, there have been no randomized trials of collaborative care specifically for patients with Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Access to VA services for returning veterans with PTSDBrian Shiner
VA Medical Center, 215 Main Street, 11Q, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
Mil Med 177:814-22. 2012....
- Access to what? An evaluation of the key ingredients to effective advanced mental health access at a VA medical center and its affiliated community-based outreach clinicsBrian Shiner
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon NH 03756, USA
Mil Med 174:1024-32. 2009..CBOCs can implement limited advanced mental health access models and derive similar improvements to those seen in more extensive models at the VAMCs to which they are affiliated...
- Sensitivity of the SF-36 to PTSD symptom change in veteransBrian Shiner
White River Junction VA Medical Center 11Q, 215 North Main Street, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
J Trauma Stress 24:111-5. 2011..Moreover, these changes in functioning were clinically significant on several SF-36 subscales and on one summary scale...
- Measuring use of evidence based psychotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorderBrian Shiner
VA Medical Center, White River Junction, VT, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 40:311-8. 2013..Evidence-based psychotherapies appear to be infrequently utilized in VHA outpatient PTSD clinics in New England. Our method could support efforts to improve use of these treatments...
- Examination of the effectiveness of the Mental Health Environment of Care Checklist in reducing suicide on inpatient mental health unitsBradley V Watts
VA National Center for Patient Safety, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 69:588-92. 2012..Many methods have been proposed, but no interventions have been tested...
- Comparing the stability of diagnosis in full vs. partial posttraumatic stress disorderBrian Shiner
VA Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 200:520-5. 2012..Mental health treatments delivered to the two groups were similar. These diagnoses appear to be different, suggesting that people with partial PTSD may benefit from a different clinical approach...
- Outcomes of a quality improvement project integrating mental health into primary careBradley V Watts
Outcomes REAP, White River Junction VAMC, White River Junction, Vermont 05009, USA
Qual Saf Health Care 16:378-81. 2007..This study examined the effectiveness of a quality improvement project improving access to mental healthcare in a large primary care clinic...
- Supplier-induced demand for psychiatric admissions in Northern New EnglandBradley V Watts
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, VA Medical Center, 215 North Main Street, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
BMC Psychiatry 11:146. 2011..Our secondary hypothesis was that the construction of psychiatric HSAs (PHSAs) would yield more meaningful results than the use of existing general medical hospital service areas...
- Health systems engineering as an improvement strategy: a case example using location-allocation modelingBradley V Watts
Dartmouth Medical School, USA
J Healthc Qual 35:35-40. 2013..We describe a case study of how location-allocation techniques used by industrial engineers assisted a regional healthcare network develop a plan for optimal location of sleep medicine services within its network...
- Treatment-seeking barriers for veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts who screen positive for PTSDTracy Stecker
Psychiatric Research Center, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
Psychiatr Serv 64:280-3. 2013..Barriers associated with the decision not to seek treatment for symptoms of combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) were examined...
- Epidemiology and prevention of combat-related post-traumatic stress in OEF/OIF/OND service membersBarbara A Hermann
National Center for PTSD, VA Medical Center 116D, 215 North Main Street, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
Mil Med 177:1-6. 2012..Our findings indicate that while research into the prevalence and consequences of PTSD in the Iraq and Afghanistan cohort has been significant, relatively little is known about the effectiveness of approaches designed to prevent it...
- Strategies to improve compensation and pension timeliness: lessons learned from high-performing facilitiesBelinda V Luk
VA New England Healthcare Engineering Partnership, White River Junction Field Office, 215 North Main Street, 11Q, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
Mil Med 175:978-82. 2010..Distillation of these characteristics provides guidance to other VHA facilities seeking to improve their C&P timeliness...
- Health systems engineering fellowship: curriculum and program developmentBradley V Watts
New England Veterans Engineering Resource Center, White River Junction, VT VA National Center for Patient Safety, White River Junction, VT Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, White River Junction, VT
Am J Med Qual 30:161-6. 2015..Challenges faced in developing the fellowship are discussed. Advanced educational opportunities in applied HSE have the potential to develop the workforce capacity needed to improve the quality of health care. ..
- A Meta-Analysis of Depressive Symptom Outcomes in Randomized, Controlled Trials for PTSDJulia McDougal Ronconi
White River Junction Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, VT Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Hanover, NH and VA National Center for Patient Safety, White River Junction, VT
J Nerv Ment Dis 203:522-9. 2015..Evidence-based PTSD treatments are effective for comorbid depressive symptoms. Existing PTSD treatments work as well for comorbid depressive symptoms as they do for PTSD symptoms. ..
- Predicting the risk of suicide by analyzing the text of clinical notesChris Poulin
The Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth College and The Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, United States of America The Durkheim Project, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e85733. 2014..The resulting system could allow clinicians to potentially screen seemingly healthy patients at the primary care level, and to continuously evaluate the suicide risk among psychiatric patients...
- Inclusion and exclusion criteria in randomized controlled trials of psychotherapy for PTSDJulia M Ronconi
RONCONI White River Junction Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, VT SHINER White River Junction Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Hanover, NH WATTS Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth and VA National Center for Patient Safety, White River Junction, VT
J Psychiatr Pract 20:25-37. 2014..Therefore, our objective was to better understand how patients were excluded from such RCTs in order to provide guidance to clinicians regarding clinical populations likely to benefit from these treatments...