Affiliation: Dartmouth Medical School
- The role of overdiagnosis and reclassification in the marked increase of esophageal adenocarcinoma incidenceHeiko Pohl
VA Outcomes Group 111B, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 0500, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:142-6. 2005....
- Risk factors in the development of esophageal adenocarcinomaHeiko Pohl
Department of Gastroenterology, VA Medical Center, White River Junction, Vermont 05009, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 108:200-7. 2013..The aim of this study was to examine at what stage known risk factors exert their influence toward the progression to cancer...
- Incomplete polyp resection during colonoscopy-results of the complete adenoma resection (CARE) studyHeiko Pohl
Department of Gastroenterology, VA Medical Center, White River Junction, Vermont, USA
Gastroenterology 144:74-80.e1. 2013..We determined the rate of incompletely resected neoplastic polyps in clinical practice...
- Colorectal cancers detected after colonoscopy frequently result from missed lesionsHeiko Pohl
Outcomes Group, VA Medical Center, White River Junction, Vermont 05009, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:858-64. 2010..Colorectal cancers (CRCs) that are detected in patients who have received colonoscopies (interval cancers) arise from missed lesions, incomplete resections of adenomas, or de novo. We estimated rates of interval cancer from missed lesions...
- Esophageal adenocarcinoma incidence: are we reaching the peak?Heiko Pohl
The VA Outcomes Group, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, Vermont 05009, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:1468-70. 2010..A steep increase in the incidence of esophageal adenocarcinoma has been observed between 1973 and 2001, but recent trends have not been reported. Our aim was to examine recent trends in esophageal adenocarcinoma incidence...
- Endoscopy in Barrett's oesophagus: adherence to standards and neoplasia detection in the community practice versus hospital settingH Pohl
Department of Gastroenterology, Charite University Hospitals, Berlin, Germany
J Intern Med 264:370-8. 2008..We aimed at comparing adherence to guidelines and neoplasia detection rates in medical centres (MC) and community practices (CP)...
- Helicobacter pylori-associated ulcer bleeding: should we test for eradication after treatment?H Pohl
VA Outcomes Group, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, VT, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 22:529-37. 2005..Eradication of Helicobacter pylori after peptic ulcer haemorrhage reduces the risk of recurrence. Because H. pylori treatment is very effective, it is unclear whether testing to confirm eradication is worthwhile...
- Miniprobe confocal laser microscopy for the detection of invisible neoplasia in patients with Barrett's oesophagusH Pohl
Central Interdisciplinary Endoscopy Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Metabolic Diseases, Virchow Clinic Campus, Charité Medical University of Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Gut 57:1648-53. 2008..We evaluated in vivo miniprobe confocal laser microscopy (CLM) for the detection of invisible Barrett's neoplasia...
- A prospective randomised study on narrow-band imaging versus conventional colonoscopy for adenoma detection: does narrow-band imaging induce a learning effect?A Adler
Central Interdisciplinary Endoscopy Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Virchow Clinic Campus, Charité Medical University of Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Gut 57:59-64. 2008..Detection rates are expected to improve with optimised visualisation methods. This prospective randomised study evaluated narrow-band imaging (NBI), a new technique that may enhance image contrast in colon adenoma detection...
- Evaluation of endocytoscopy in the surveillance of patients with Barrett's esophagusH Pohl
Central Interdisciplinary Endoscopy Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Campus Virchow, Berlin, Germany
Endoscopy 39:492-6. 2007..Guided biopsies from neoplastic areas invisible on conventional endoscopy may increase effectiveness of surveillance examination. We assessed the accuracy of endocytoscopy in correlation with histology...
- Prevalence of clinically important histology in small adenomasLynn F Butterly
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Gastroenterology, Lebanon, New Hampshire 03756, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:343-8. 2006..We evaluated the prevalence of advanced histology in small and diminutive adenomas to clarify their clinical importance in terms of malignant potential...
- Endoscopic versus surgical therapy for early cancer in Barrett's esophagus: a decision analysisHeiko Pohl
Gastroenterology Section, VA Medical Center, White River Junction, 125 N Main St, VT 05001, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 70:623-31. 2009..Esophagectomy for early esophageal adenocarcinoma is associated with increased operative mortality and morbidity, but possibly a decreased recurrence rate compared with endoscopic therapy when using EMR and radiofrequency ablation...
- Endocytoscopy for the detection of microstructural features in adult patients with celiac sprue: a prospective, blinded endocytoscopy-conventional histology correlation studyHeiko Pohl
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Charite Medical Center, Virchow Hospital, Medical School of Humboldt University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 70:933-41. 2009..Endocytoscopy (EC) is a novel technique that allows magnified live inspection of the intestinal mucosa...
- A motor-driven single-use colonoscope controlled with a hand-held device: a feasibility study in volunteersThomas Rosch
Central Interdisciplinary Endoscopy Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Campus Virchow Hospital, Charite University Hospitals, Berlin, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 67:1139-46. 2008..It consists of an endoscopic sheath with an inverted sleeve, instrument channel, and an electrohydraulic deflecting tip. The instrument is steered by a hand-held device and propelled by a motorized drive unit...
- CT colonography versus colonoscopy for the detection of advanced neoplasiaLynn F Butterly
N Engl J Med 358:89; author reply 90. 2008
- Determining an appropriate threshold for referral to surgery for gastroesophageal reflux diseaseJean Y Liu
Department of Surgery, VA Medical Center, White River Junction, VT, USA
Surgery 133:5-12. 2003....