Mary F Brunette
Affiliation: Dartmouth Medical School
- Responding to blood-borne infections among persons with severe mental illnessMary F Brunette
New Hampshire Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center and Dartmouth Medical School, 105 Pleasant Street, Concord, New Hampshire 03301, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:860-5. 2003..In addition, expansion of integrated dual disorders treatments and improving linkage with specialty medical care providers are recommended...
- Carbon monoxide feedback in a motivational decision support system for nicotine dependence among smokers with severe mental illnessesMary F Brunette
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth and Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, Concord, NH 03301, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 45:319-24. 2013..This study suggests that a computerized motivational decision support system can lead users to initiate cessation treatment, and that carbon monoxide feedback is not a necessary component. ..
- Clozapine use and relapses of substance use disorder among patients with co-occurring schizophrenia and substance use disordersMary F Brunette
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, New Hampshire Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, Concord, NH 03301, USA
Schizophr Bull 32:637-43. 2006..This research, however, could be biased by selection factors. Studying patients who are currently in substance abuse remission could control for level of motivation to stop using substances and other methodological confounds...
- Implementation of integrated dual disorders treatment: a qualitative analysis of facilitators and barriersMary F Brunette
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, and Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, State Office Park South, 105 Pleasant St, Concord, NH 03301, USA
Psychiatr Serv 59:989-95. 2008..This report describes the extent to which this intervention was implemented by 11 community mental health centers participating in a large study of practice implementation. Facilitators and barriers to implementation are described...
- Do smoking cessation websites meet the needs of smokers with severe mental illnesses?Mary F Brunette
Dartmouth Medical School, Psychiatric Research Center, 105 Pleasant St, Concord, NH 03303, USA
Health Educ Res 27:183-90. 2012..Although the Internet is a promising strategy to provide education about treatments, website developers must attend to the needs and capacities of multiple user groups...
- An electronic decision support system to motivate people with severe mental illnesses to quit smokingMary F Brunette
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, Concord, NH 03301, USA
Psychiatr Serv 62:360-6. 2011..The authors developed a Web-based computer decision support system that is tailored for use by people with cognitive deficits and is designed to stimulate motivation to quit smoking by using evidence-based treatment...
- Case report of 3 patients with severe mental illness and chronic hepatitis C virus infection treated with interferon-alphaLisa A Mistler
Dartmouth College Medical School and New Hampshire Hospital, USA
Int J Psychiatry Med 36:449-55. 2006..These case reports add support to the growing body of evidence that persons with severe mental illness and substance use disorders can be successfully treated for hepatitis C with careful monitoring and psychiatric oversight...
- Psychosocial interventions for the long-term management of patients with severe mental illness and co-occurring substance use disorderMary F Brunette
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH 03301, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:10-7. 2006..The stages of change, the stages of treatment, and the psychosocial strategies used at each stage of treatment are outlined...
- Enhancing validity in co-occurring disorders treatment researchGregory J McHugo
Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, 2 Whipple Place, Suite 202, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
Schizophr Bull 32:655-65. 2006..The central recommendation is to move rapidly from efficacy studies to more credible and valid effectiveness studies, in order to facilitate the adoption of evidence-based interventions in routine practice settings...
- Substance abuse and schizophrenia: pharmacotherapeutic interventionAlan I Green
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 34:61-71. 2008..Further studies are required to establish a solid evidence base of best practices for the use of medications in these patients...
- Hepatitis C treatment for people with severe mental illnessLisa A Mistler
Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover NH, USA
Psychosomatics 47:93-107. 2006..This article reviews the available data on neuropsychiatric side effects of interferon (IFN) treatment, discusses the limitations of the current research, and makes recommendations regarding HCV treatment in persons with SMI...
- Community mental health care for women with severe mental illness who are parentsMary F Brunette
New Hampshire Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, Concord 03301, USA
Community Ment Health J 38:153-65. 2002..This paper describes services to help clients who are parents, which includes integration of adult's and children's services, long-term, home-based parent training, and linkage with community supports...
- Integrated family treatment for parents with severe psychiatric disabilitiesMary F Brunette
Dartmouth Medical School, New Hampshire, USA
Psychiatr Rehabil J 28:177-80. 2004..Six of the seven parents (85.7%) remaining in treatment improved on one or more measure of parent skills. Integrated Family Treatment is a promising practice that warrants further study...
- A review of research on residential programs for people with severe mental illness and co-occurring substance use disordersMary F Brunette
New Hampshire Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center and Dartmouth Medical School NH, USA
Drug Alcohol Rev 23:471-81. 2004....
- Hepatitis C virus and HIV co-infection in people with severe mental illness and substance use disordersStanley D Rosenberg
Dartmouth Medical School, Dartmouth College, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
AIDS 19:S26-33. 2005..However, little is known about HIV/HCV co-infection in this population. This paper examines the prevalence and correlates of HIV, hepatitis C, and HIV/HCV co-infection in a large, multisite sample of SMI clients...
- Public-academic partnerships: a program to improve the quality of antipsychotic prescribing in a community mental health systemMary F Brunette
Department of Health and Human Services, NHDHHS, Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, State Office Park South, 105 Pleasant St, Concord, NH 03301, USA
Psychiatr Serv 62:1004-6. 2011..The program encourages providers at community mental health centers to adopt prescribing practices that limit the cardiometabolic side effects of antipsychotic medicines...
- Benzodiazepine use and abuse among patients with severe mental illness and co-occurring substance use disordersMary F Brunette
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Concord, New Hampshire 03301, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:1395-401. 2003..The authors examined benzodiazepine use and associated psychiatric, substance abuse, and institutional outcomes in a six-year longitudinal study of patients with co-occurring disorders...
- Schizophrenia and co-occurring substance use disorderAlan I Green
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:402-8. 2007
- Treatment of substance use disorders in schizophrenia: a unifying neurobiological mechanism?Robert M Roth
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School DHMC, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 7:283-91. 2005..We propose that effective treatments may in part work through the modulation of brain reward circuitry dysfunction...
- A review of treatments for people with severe mental illnesses and co-occurring substance use disordersRobert E Drake
New Hampshire Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA
Psychiatr Rehabil J 27:360-74. 2004..Current research aims to refine and test individual components and combinations of integrated treatments...
- Benzodiazepine prescription practices and substance abuse in persons with severe mental illnessRobin E Clark
Department of Community and Family Medicine, New Hampshire Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center at Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:151-5. 2004..The objectives of this study were to determine the prevalence of benzodiazepine use among persons with psychiatric disorders and to evaluate compliance with published prescribing guidelines...
- Development of a scale to assess practitioner knowledge in providing integrated dual disorders treatmentMichelle P Salyers
ACT Center of Indiana, Roudebush VA Medical Center, 1481 West 10th Street 11H, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 34:570-81. 2007..Higher scores on the scale were correlated with greater education, but not greater experience or lower burnout. This test is a promising tool for assessing provider knowledge of a specific evidence-based practice...