Susana N Asin
Affiliation: Dartmouth Medical School
- Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection of human uterine epithelial cells: viral shedding and cell contact-mediated infectivitySusana N Asin
Department of Microbiology, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA
J Infect Dis 187:1522-33. 2003..These data demonstrated that HIV-1 infects human epithelial cells of upper reproductive tract origin and that productive viral infection of epithelial cells may be an important mechanism of transmission of HIV-1 infection in women...
- Transmission of HIV-1 by primary human uterine epithelial cells and stromal fibroblastsSusana N Asin
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA
J Infect Dis 190:236-45. 2004..These data suggest that uterine cells are targets for productive infection with X4-tropic strains and release unmodified R5-tropic viruses that would then be able to infect submucosal target cells, including T cells and macrophages...
- Estradiol and progesterone regulate HIV type 1 replication in peripheral blood cellsSusana N Asin
V A Medical Center, White River Junction, Vermont 05009, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:701-16. 2008..An additional indirect mechanism of sex hormone regulation of cytokine and chemokine secretion cannot be excluded...
- HIV type 1 infection in women: increased transcription of HIV type 1 in ectocervical tissue explantsSusana N Asin
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 215 N Main Street, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
J Infect Dis 200:965-72. 2009..Mucosal surfaces of the female reproductive tract are the main routes of heterosexual transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1), but the contribution of each of the reproductive sites to mucosal transmission is unknown...
- HIV-1 infection of the female reproductive tractAlexandra L Howell
VA Medical Center, 215 North Main Street, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 2:35-8. 2005..This indicates that several mechanisms for viral infection and transmission are present throughout the FRT...
- IL-8 decreases HIV-1 transcription in peripheral blood lymphocytes and ectocervical tissue explantsChristiane Rollenhagen
V A Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 54:463-9. 2010..This is the first report to suggest that IL-8 decreases replication of primary R5-tropic HIV-1 by transcriptional mechanisms...
- Synergy between IL-8 and GM-CSF in reproductive tract epithelial cell secretions promotes enhanced neutrophil chemotaxisLi Shen
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Dartmouth Medical School, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, 1 Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Cell Immunol 230:23-32. 2004..These findings demonstrate that the majority of neutrophil chemoattractant activity produced by FRT EC results from the synergistic effects of IL-8 and GM-CSF...
- Human immunodeficiency virus receptor and coreceptor expression on human uterine epithelial cells: regulation of expression during the menstrual cycle and implications for human immunodeficiency virus infectionGrant R Yeaman
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
Immunology 109:137-46. 2003..In addition, these studies provide evidence that the uterus, and potentially the entire upper reproductive tract, are important sites for the initial events involved in HIV infection...