E W Stommel
Affiliation: Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- Aerosolization of cyanobacteria as a risk factor for amyotrophic lateral sclerosisElijah W Stommel
Department of Neurology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, United States
Med Hypotheses 80:142-5. 2013..We hypothesize that some cases of ALS may be related to chronic exposure to the aerosolization of cyanobacteria derived BMAA from cooling towers and might explain the observation of conjugal ALS couples...
- Identification and role of thiols in Toxoplasma gondii egressE W Stommel
Department of Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, New Hampshire 03756, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 226:229-36. 2001..gondii. Our findings suggest that the reduction of the parasite nucleoside triphosphate hydrolase, and ultimately parasite egress, is under the control of the parasites themselves...
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha induces changes in mitochondrial cellular distribution in motor neuronsE W Stommel
Department of Medicine, Section of Neurology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756, and Department of Biology, Dartmouth College, Hanover 03755, USA
Neuroscience 146:1013-9. 2007..Our results demonstrate that TNF-alpha induced mitochondrial redistribution toward the soma in MN. We postulate that inflammation may precede, and in fact cause, the mitochondrial changes observed in ALS tissue...
- Does treating schizophrenia reduce the chances of developing amyotrophic lateral sclerosis?Elijah W Stommel
Department of Medicine, Section of Neurology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Med Hypotheses 69:1021-8. 2007..Such an observation may have important implications towards the therapy and understanding the pathophysiology of this deadly neurodegenerative disease...
- Efficacy of thalidomide for the treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a phase II open label clinical trialElijah W Stommel
Department of Medicine Section of Neurology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire 03756, USA
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 10:393-404. 2009..In conclusion, treatment of ALS with the TNF-alpha inhibitor, thalidomide, does not appear to effectively modulate disease progression and can cause adverse effects...
- Focal paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis presenting as orgasmic epilepsyC E Fadul
Department of Medicine Sections of Hematology Oncology and Neurology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Norris Cotton Cancer Center, One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756 0001, USA
J Neurooncol 72:195-8. 2005..To report orgasmic epilepsy as a manifestation of paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis in a patient with small cell lung cancer...
- A cluster of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in New Hampshire: a possible role for toxic cyanobacteria bloomsTracie A Caller
Department of Neurology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, 1 Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, New Hampshire 03756, USA
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 10:101-8. 2009..Further investigation, including analysis of brain tissue for cyanobacterial toxins, will be helpful to test for an association between BMAA and ALS...
- Cryptogenic epilepsy: an infectious etiology?E W Stommel
Department of Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Epilepsia 42:436-8. 2001..T. gondii is found in up to 20% of the U.S. population forming dormant brain cysts in the latent bradyzoite form. We investigated the hypothesis that dormant T. gondii infection might be associated with cryptogenic epilepsy...
- MRI in ALS: corticospinal tract hyperintensityElijah W Stommel
Neurology 63:596-7; author reply 596-7. 2004