Ward A Pedersen
Affiliation: Creighton University
- Folic acid deficiency and homocysteine impair DNA repair in hippocampal neurons and sensitize them to amyloid toxicity in experimental models of Alzheimer's diseaseInna I Kruman
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Gerontology Research Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neurosci 22:1752-62. 2002..Levels of Abeta were unchanged in the brains of folate-deficient APP mutant mice. Our data suggest that folic acid deficiency and homocysteine impair DNA repair in neurons, which sensitizes them to oxidative damage induced by Abeta...
- Insulin resistance contributes to aberrant stress responses in the Tg2576 mouse model of Alzheimer's diseaseWard A Pedersen
Center for Aging, Alzheimer s Disease and Neurodegenerative Disorders, Department of Neurology, Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Neurobiol Dis 17:500-6. 2004..These results provide evidence for a relationship between insulin resistance, impaired regulation of insulin and glucose levels, and aberrant stress responses in Tg2576 mice...
- Rosiglitazone attenuates learning and memory deficits in Tg2576 Alzheimer miceWard A Pedersen
Department of Pathology, Creighton University Medical Center, 601 N 30th Street, Suite 2469, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Exp Neurol 199:265-73. 2006....
- Numb modifies neuronal vulnerability to amyloid beta-peptide in an isoform-specific manner by a mechanism involving altered calcium homeostasis: implications for neuronal death in Alzheimer's diseaseSic L Chan
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Gerontology Research Center, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuromolecular Med 1:55-67. 2002..Our findings also suggest that the effects of Numb on cell fate decisions, both during development of the nervous system and in neurodegenertive disorders, are mediated by changes in cellular calcium homeostasis...
- Urocortin, but not urocortin II, protects cultured hippocampal neurons from oxidative and excitotoxic cell death via corticotropin-releasing hormone receptor type IWard A Pedersen
Laboratory of Neurosciences, Gerontology Research Center, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neurosci 22:404-12. 2002..This is the first demonstration of a biological activity of urocortin in hippocampal neurons, suggesting a role for the peptide in adaptive responses of hippocampal neurons to potentially lethal oxidative and excitotoxic insults...
- Evidence that accumulation of ceramides and cholesterol esters mediates oxidative stress-induced death of motor neurons in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisRoy G Cutler
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Gerontology Research Center, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Neurol 52:448-57. 2002..These findings suggest a pivotal role for altered sphingolipid metabolism in the pathogenesis of ALS...
- Involvement of oxidative stress-induced abnormalities in ceramide and cholesterol metabolism in brain aging and Alzheimer's diseaseRoy G Cutler
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Gerontology Research Center, 5600 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:2070-5. 2004....
- Arachidonic acid increases choline acetyltransferase activity in spinal cord neurons through a protein kinase C-mediated mechanismMalgorzata Chalimoniuk
Department of Surgery, University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
J Neurochem 90:629-36. 2004..These results indicate that the AA-evoked increase in ChAT activity in spinal cord neurons is mediated by PKC, presumably at the transcriptional level...