J M Lappe
Affiliation: Creighton University
- In vivo genome-wide expression study on human circulating B cells suggests a novel ESR1 and MAPK3 network for postmenopausal osteoporosisPeng Xiao
Osteoporosis Research Center and Department of Biomedical Sciences, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
J Bone Miner Res 23:644-54. 2008..However, the in vivo significance of B cells in human bone metabolism and osteoporosis is still largely unknown, particularly at the systematic gene expression level...
- Effect of a combination of genistein, polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamins D3 and K1 on bone mineral density in postmenopausal women: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind pilot studyJoan Lappe
Osteoporosis Research Center, Creighton University Medical Center, 601 North 30th Street, Suite 4820, Omaha, NE 68131, USA E mail
Eur J Nutr 52:203-215. 2013..This study examined the effects of synthetic genistein in combination with other potential bone-protective dietary molecules on bone mineral density (BMD) in early postmenopausal women...
- The effect of calcium and vitamin D supplementation on obesity in postmenopausal women: secondary analysis for a large-scale, placebo controlled, double-blind, 4-year longitudinal clinical trialJiapeng Zhou
Osteoporosis Research Center, Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Nutr Metab (Lond) 7:62. 2010..It is undetermined whether calcium supplementation has an effect on obesity or body composition in postmenopausal women. The purpose of the study is to detect the effect of calcium supplementation on indices of obesity and body composition...
- Vitamin D and calcium supplementation reduces cancer risk: results of a randomized trialJoan M Lappe
Osteoporosis Research Center, Creighton University, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1586-91. 2007..Numerous observational studies have found supplemental calcium and vitamin D to be associated with reduced risk of common cancers. However, interventional studies to test this effect are lacking...
- Vitamin D status in a rural postmenopausal female populationJoan M Lappe
Creighton University Medical Center, Osteoporosis Research Center, 601 North 30 Street Suite 4820, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 25:395-402. 2006..Inadequate vitamin D nutritional status is increasingly recognized as common in North American and European populations, but the extent of the shortfall and the parameters of the distribution for populations of interest remain uncertain...
- A prospective study of quantitative ultrasound in children and adolescentsJ M Lappe
Osteoporosis Research Center, Department of Medicine, Creighton University, 601 North 30th St 4820, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
J Clin Densitom 3:167-75. 2000..Our findings that QUS values change during childhood and adolescence in a manner similar to DXA values, the "gold standard," provide support for the validity of using QUS to assess bone health in children and adolescents...
- Quantitative ultrasound: use in screening for susceptibility to stress fractures in female army recruitsJoan Lappe
Osteoporosis Research Center, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
J Bone Miner Res 20:571-8. 2005..QUS predicted stress fracture in female recruits as well as it predicts hip fracture in elderly women. Recruits with low QUS values and a history of smoking and not exercising had an extremely high risk of stress fracture...
- Girls on a high-calcium diet gain weight at the same rate as girls on a normal diet: a pilot studyJoan M Lappe
Osteoporosis Research Center, Creighton University, 601 N 30th Street, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:1361-7. 2004..To determine whether pubertal girls assigned to calcium-rich diets or their usual calcium intakes differ significantly in weight gain...
- Hormones, weight change and menopauseK M Davies
Creighton University, Osteoporosis Research Center, 601 North 30th Street, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:874-9. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The long-term, total body weight trajectory at mid-life is not influenced appreciably by either cessation of ovarian function or by hormone replacement...
- The impact of lifestyle factors on stress fractures in female Army recruitsJ M Lappe
Osteoporosis Research Center, Department of Medicine, Creighton University, 601 North 30th Street #4820, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Osteoporos Int 12:35-42. 2001....
- Bone remodeling increases substantially in the years after menopause and remains increased in older osteoporosis patientsRobert Recker
Creighton Osteoporosis Research Center, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
J Bone Miner Res 19:1628-33. 2004..Ac.f nearly doubled 1 year after menopause, tripled 13 years after menopause, and remained elevated in women with osteoporosis...
- Transmenopausal changes in the trabecular bone structureM P Akhter
Osteoporosis Research Center, Creighton University, Suite 4820, 610 N, 30th Street, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Bone 41:111-6. 2007..The study was designed to capture true longitudinal transmenopausal changes in three-dimensional (3-D) trabecular bone architecture. Currently, minimal data exist regarding these features...
- Pathophysiology of osteoporosis and fractureJ M Lappe
Creighton University Schools of Nursing and Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
Nurs Clin North Am 36:393-400, vii. 2001..An understanding of the material presented here will provide a foundation to assess the bone health of individuals, to promote bone health, and to prevent fracture in patients of all ages...
- Designer estrogen vs. hormone replacement therapy: the menopausal woman's dilemmaJ M Lappe
Creighton University Schools of Nursing and Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Orthop Nurs 20:66-72; quiz 72-4. 2001..The purpose of this article is to present a synthesis of information comparing HRT and SERMs so that the reader can help his/her clients make informed choices about replacement therapy...
- Assessment of trabecular and cortical architecture and mechanical competence of bone by high-resolution peripheral computed tomography: comparison with transiliac bone biopsyA Cohen
Department of Medicine, PH8 864, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Osteoporos Int 21:263-73. 2010..Correlations were weak to moderate between parameters measured on biopsies and scans...
- Calcium and vitamin d supplementation decreases incidence of stress fractures in female navy recruitsJoan Lappe
Creighton University Osteoporosis Research Center, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
J Bone Miner Res 23:741-9. 2008..The goal of this randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study was to determine whether a calcium and vitamin D intervention could reduce the incidence of SFx in female recruits during basic training...
- Calcium supplementation: Results may not be generalisableJoan M Lappe
BMJ 336:403; author reply 404. 2008
- Why blame milk?Joan M Lappe
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159:1187-8; author reply 1188. 2005
- The bone mineral density in childhood study: bone mineral content and density according to age, sex, and raceHeidi J Kalkwarf
Division of General and Community Pediatrics, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2087-99. 2007..Low bone mass may increase risk of fracture. Several chronic medical conditions, medications, and lifestyle factors affect bone mineral accrual. Appropriate reference values are essential for identification of children with bone deficits...
- Accuracy of pubertal Tanner staging self-reportingJean Claude Desmangles
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Endocrinology Diabetes, Creighton University, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 19:213-21. 2006..Previous studies examining the reliability of self-reported Tanner stages have given conflicting results. We report on the reliability of self-reported Tanner stages in lean healthy children...
- A novel pathophysiological mechanism for osteoporosis suggested by an in vivo gene expression study of circulating monocytesYao Zhong Liu
Osteoporosis Research Center, Creighton University Medical Center, Creighton University, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
J Biol Chem 280:29011-6. 2005..The results may contribute to identification of new genes and their functions for osteoporosis and suggest genetic markers to discern individuals at higher risk to osteoporosis with an aim for preventive intervention and treatment...
- Effects of calcium supplementation on serum lipid levels in postmenopausal womenRobert P Heaney
Am J Med 114:620-1; author reply 621. 2003
- CALCIUM AND VITAMIN D MALNUTRITION IN ELDERLY WOMENJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2003..This is a valid method to determine compliance, far superior to the traditional pill counts, and thus a substantial aid to measure the anti-fracture efficacy of calcium alone or calcium plus vitamin D interventions. ..
- EXERCISE AND CALCIUM EFFECT ON PUBERTAL BONE GAINJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2006..If these findings hold, they would provide strong support for the essential role of calcium in addition to exercise in maximizing bone mass in growing females. ..
- Calcium Foods and Bone Health of Adolescent GirlsJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2007..Lack of a calcium effect would provide support for further research into other methods or concomitant methods of maximizing skeletal development. ..