Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Creighton University
- Fischer K, Agrawal D. Vitamin D regulating TGF-? induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Respir Res. 2014;15:146 pubmed publisher..Thus, calcitriol could be a potential therapeutic agent in the prevention and management of subepithelial fibrosis and airway remodeling. ..
- Agrawal D, Cheng G, Kim M, Kiniwa M. Interaction of suplatast tosilate (IPD) with chloride channels in human blood eosinophils: a potential mechanism underlying its anti-allergic and anti-asthmatic effects. Clin Exp Allergy. 2008;38:305-12 pubmed..These data suggest that the anti-allergic and anti-asthmatic effects of IPD could be due to its interaction with chloride channels in human blood eosinophils. ..
- Rao V, Rai V, Stoupa S, Agrawal D. Blockade of Ets-1 attenuates epidermal growth factor-dependent collagen loss in human carotid plaque smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2015;309:H1075-86 pubmed publisher..This study provides a mechanistic insight into the role of Ets-1 in the plaque destabilization in patients with carotid stenosis involving p38-MAPK and JNK signaling pathways. ..
- Shao Z, Gaurav R, Agrawal D. Intermediate-conductance calcium-activated potassium channel KCa3.1 and chloride channel modulate chemokine ligand (CCL19/CCL21)-induced migration of dendritic cells. Transl Res. 2015;166:89-102 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, KCa3.1 and CLC3 are critical in human DC migration by synergistically regulating membrane potential, chemokine-induced Ca(2+) influx, and cell volume. ..
- Quirk S, Shure A, Agrawal D. Immune-mediated adverse events of anticytotoxic T lymphocyte-associated antigen 4 antibody therapy in metastatic melanoma. Transl Res. 2015;166:412-24 pubmed publisher..Future research is warranted to elucidate the efficacy of such combination therapies and specific biomarkers that would help to predict a clinical response to ipilimumab in patients with malignant melanoma. ..
- Ikhapoh I, Pelham C, Agrawal D. Synergistic effect of angiotensin II on vascular endothelial growth factor-A-mediated differentiation of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells into endothelial cells. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2015;6:4 pubmed publisher..These findings have significant implications toward therapeutic approaches based on activation of AT2R, which could be a means to stimulate regeneration of damaged endothelium and prevent vascular thrombosis. ..
- Rai V, Abdo J, Alsuwaidan A, Agrawal S, Sharma P, Agrawal D. Cellular and molecular targets for the immunotherapy of hepatocellular carcinoma. Mol Cell Biochem. 2018;437:13-36 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on potential cellular and molecular targets, as well as the role of virotherapy and combinational therapy in the treatment of HCC. ..
- Rosenberg J, Rai V, Dilisio M, Sekundiak T, Agrawal D. Increased expression of damage-associated molecular patterns (DAMPs) in osteoarthritis of human knee joint compared to hip joint. Mol Cell Biochem. 2017;436:59-69 pubmed publisher..The increased levels of DAMPs suggest a difference in the underlying pathogenesis of OA in the knee and the hip and highlights DAMPs as potential therapeutic targets for OA in the future. ..
- Pelham C, Drews E, Agrawal D. Vitamin D controls resistance artery function through regulation of perivascular adipose tissue hypoxia and inflammation. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2016;98:1-10 pubmed publisher..The protective effects of vitamin D against vascular dysfunction, hypertension and cardiovascular diseases may be mediated, at least in part, through regulation of inflammatory and hypoxia signaling pathways in PVAT. ..
- Hall S, Agrawal D. Vitamin D and Bronchial Asthma: An Overview of Data From the Past 5 Years. Clin Ther. 2017;39:917-929 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to determine the exact mechanisms by which vitamin D supplementation may induce antiinflammatory effects. ..
- Nguyen A, Detty S, Agrawal D. Clinical Implications of High-mobility Group Box-1 (HMGB1) and the Receptor for Advanced Glycation End-products (RAGE) in Cutaneous Malignancy: A Systematic Review. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:1-7 pubmed..HMGB1 and RAGE could serve as potential prognostic markers or therapeutic targets in treating melanoma, BCC, and SCC, but further research regarding the clinical utility of the HMGB1-RAGE axis in cutaneous malignancies is warranted. ..
- Nguyen A, Miller E, Wichman C, Berim I, Agrawal D. Diagnostic value of tumor antigens in malignant pleural effusion: a meta-analysis. Transl Res. 2015;166:432-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that tumor markers used individually are of insufficient diagnostic accuracy for clinical use. Tumor markers used in various combinations or from serum may have some potential worth further investigation. ..
- Thankam F, Boosani C, Dilisio M, Agrawal D. MicroRNAs associated with inflammation in shoulder tendinopathy and glenohumeral arthritis. Mol Cell Biochem. 2018;437:81-97 pubmed publisher..Targeting these miRNAs and the underlying regulatory mechanisms may advance our knowledge to develop promising therapies in the management of shoulder tendon pathology. ..
- Almalki S, Agrawal D. ERK signaling is required for VEGF-A/VEGFR2-induced differentiation of porcine adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells into endothelial cells. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2017;8:113 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the role of the ERK signaling pathway in AMSC differentiation to ECs for potential clinical use in cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Sur S, Agrawal D. Transactivation of EGFR by G protein-coupled receptor in the pathophysiology of intimal hyperplasia. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2014;12:190-201 pubmed..The goal of this review article is to identify potential targets for therapeutic intervention in clinical conditions related to intimal hyperplasia in cardiovascular system. ..
- Trowbridge R, Mitkov M, Hunter W, Agrawal D. Vitamin D receptor and CD86 expression in the skin of vitamin D-deficient swine. Exp Mol Pathol. 2014;96:42-7 pubmed publisher..Since VDR and CD86 expression are decreased in the setting of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers, our findings suggest a potential role of vitamin D-deficiency in the progression of skin malignancies. ..
- Lee D, Ayoub N, Agrawal D. Mesenchymal stem cells and cutaneous wound healing: novel methods to increase cell delivery and therapeutic efficacy. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2016;7:37 pubmed publisher..We have critically reviewed the results of the novel studies that show promise for the continued development of MSC-based wound-healing therapies and provide direction for continued research in this field. ..
- Swier V, Tang L, Radwan M, Hunter W, Agrawal D. The role of high cholesterol-high fructose diet on coronary arteriosclerosis. Histol Histopathol. 2016;31:167-76 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the addition of a fructose to high cholesterol diet accelerates atherosclerotic lesions in coronary arteries with an increase in M1-macrophages and the propensity to develop features of metabolic syndrome. ..
- Rai V, Sharma P, Agrawal S, Agrawal D. Relevance of mouse models of cardiac fibrosis and hypertrophy in cardiac research. Mol Cell Biochem. 2017;424:123-145 pubmed publisher..This critical review is focused to provide insight to young researchers about the various mouse models, advantages and disadvantages, and their use in research pertaining to cardiac fibrosis and hypertrophy. ..
- Chen S, Swier V, Boosani C, Radwan M, Agrawal D. Vitamin D Deficiency Accelerates Coronary Artery Disease Progression in Swine. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2016;36:1651-9 pubmed publisher..These novel findings provide mechanistic evidence that vitamin D supplementation could be beneficial for the prevention and treatment of CAD. ..
- Thankam F, Dilisio M, Agrawal D. Immunobiological factors aggravating the fatty infiltration on tendons and muscles in rotator cuff lesions. Mol Cell Biochem. 2016;417:17-33 pubmed publisher..Future research is warranted to target the key players of these pathways in the management of fatty infiltration and thus RCL. ..
- Ikhapoh I, Pelham C, Agrawal D. Sry-type HMG box 18 contributes to the differentiation of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells to endothelial cells. Differentiation. 2015;89:87-96 pubmed publisher..Here we demonstrate that VEGF-165 mediates MSC differentiation into ECs via VEGFR-2-dependent induction of Sox18, which ultimately coordinates the transcriptional upregulation of specific markers of the EC phenotype. ..
- Hall S, Agrawal D. Delivery of viral vectors for gene therapy in intimal hyperplasia and restenosis in atherosclerotic swine. Drug Deliv Transl Res. 2018;8:918-927 pubmed publisher..In this review, we examined and critically reviewed the most recent advances in viral vector gene therapy obtained from studies using porcine model of atherosclerosis. ..
- Rao V, Rai V, Stoupa S, Subramanian S, Agrawal D. Tumor necrosis factor-? regulates triggering receptor expressed on myeloid cells-1-dependent matrix metalloproteinases in the carotid plaques of symptomatic patients with carotid stenosis. Atherosclerosis. 2016;248:160-9 pubmed publisher..Selective blockade of TREM-1 may contribute to the development of new therapies and promising targets for stabilizing vulnerable atherosclerotic plaques. ..
- Smith T, Kirkpatrick D, Smith S, Smith T, Pearson T, Kailasam A, et al. Radioprotective agents to prevent cellular damage due to ionizing radiation. J Transl Med. 2017;15:232 pubmed publisher..Some radioprotective agents can be found in high quantities in antioxidant rich foods, suggesting that a specific diet recommendation could be beneficial in radioprotection. ..
- Rai V, Agrawal D. Role of Vitamin D in Cardiovascular Diseases. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2017;46:1039-1059 pubmed publisher..The association of these diseases with vitamin D deficiency and improvement with vitamin D supplementation suggest its therapeutic benefit. The authors review the findings on the association of vitamin D deficiency and CVDs. ..
- Hall S, Agrawal D. Increased TREM-2 expression on the subsets of CD11c+ cells in the lungs and lymph nodes during allergic airway inflammation. Sci Rep. 2017;7:11853 pubmed publisher..Further analyses showed that these TREM-2+ cells expressed high levels of CCR-7 and CD86 suggesting a potential role of TREM-2 in mediating maturation and migration of DC subsets in allergic airway inflammation. ..
- Rai V, Abdo J, Agrawal S, Agrawal D. Vitamin D Receptor Polymorphism and Cancer: An Update. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3991-4003 pubmed..The inconsistent results and lack of the studies in some cancer types warrant additional research. ..
- Rosenberg J, Rai V, Dilisio M, Agrawal D. Damage-associated molecular patterns in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis: potentially novel therapeutic targets. Mol Cell Biochem. 2017;434:171-179 pubmed publisher..Heparan sulfate has been shown to facilitate the binding of HMGB-1 to RAGE and could play a role in the progression of OA. Targeting these DAMPs may be the potential therapeutic strategies for the treatment of OA. ..
- Almalki S, Agrawal D. Effects of matrix metalloproteinases on the fate of mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2016;7:129 pubmed publisher..In this review, we critically discuss the identification of various MMPs and the signaling pathways that affect the differentiation, migration, angiogenesis, and proliferation of MSCs. ..
- Valle Y, Almalki S, Agrawal D. Vitamin D machinery and metabolism in porcine adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2016;7:118 pubmed publisher..Hence, in vivo circulating 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels may have a significant role in regulating the differentiation of ADMSCs into different lineages, which might assist in stem cell-based therapy. ..
- Yin K, You Y, Swier V, Tang L, Radwan M, Pandya A, et al. Vitamin D Protects Against Atherosclerosis via Regulation of Cholesterol Efflux and Macrophage Polarization in Hypercholesterolemic Swine. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2015;35:2432-42 pubmed publisher..VD protects against atherosclerosis in hypercholesterolemic swine via controlling cholesterol efflux and macrophage polarization via increased CYP27A1 activation. ..