Sera L Young
Affiliation: Cornell University
- Pica in pregnancy: new ideas about an old conditionSera L Young
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, Davis, California 95817, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 30:403-22. 2010..may render micronutrients in ingesta unavailable for absorption. Increased research efforts are warranted and must be hypothesis driven, interdisciplinary, and permit the testing of multiple causal inferences...
- The association between malnutrition and the incidence of malaria among young HIV-infected and -uninfected Ugandan children: a prospective studyEmmanuel Arinaitwe
Makerere University University of California, San Francisco Research Collaboration, Mulago Hospital Complex, PO Box 7475, Kampala, Uganda
Malar J 11:90. 2012..In addition, data are limited on the potential interaction between HIV infection and the association between malnutrition and the risk of malaria...
- Current knowledge and future research on infant feeding in the context of HIV: basic, clinical, behavioral, and programmatic perspectivesSera L Young
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Adv Nutr 2:225-43. 2011..We believe the research efforts outlined here will maximize the number of healthy, thriving, HIV-free children around the world...
- Why on earth?: Evaluating hypotheses about the physiological functions of human geophagySera L Young
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94105, USA
Q Rev Biol 86:97-120. 2011..Our results indicate that human geophagy is best explained as providing protection from dietary chemicals, parasites, and pathogens, whereas animal geophagy may involve both micronutrient acquisition and protection...
- Linking traditional treatments of maternal anaemia to iron supplement use: an ethnographic case study from Pemba Island, ZanzibarSera L Young
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Savage Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Matern Child Nutr 1:51-8. 2005..In the analysis of the ethnography, both anthropology and public health perspectives are incorporated to suggest how the understanding of these beliefs is useful for increasing iron supplement use...
- The potential role of private pharmacies in maternal iron supplementation in rural TanzaniaSera Young
School of Public Health, University of California, 230 University Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Food Nutr Bull 30:16-23. 2009..On Pemba Island, Tanzania, more than 90% of pregnant women are anemic, despite government efforts to identify and treat anemia during antenatal clinic visits...
- Geophagia is not associated with Trichuris or hookworm transmission in Zanzibar, TanzaniaSera L Young
Cornell University, Division of Nutritional Sciences, International Nutrition, Savage Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:766-72. 2007....
- Conceptual framework for understanding the bidirectional links between food insecurity and HIV/AIDSSheri D Weiser
Division of HIV AIDS, San Francisco General Hospital, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 94:1729S-1739S. 2011..More research on the relative importance of each of these pathways is warranted because effective interventions to reduce food insecurity and HIV depend on a rigorous understanding of these multifaceted relationships...
- Organoleptic properties, ease of use, and perceived health effects are determinants of acceptability of micronutrient supplements among poor Mexican womenSera L Young
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, Davis, CA 95817, USA
J Nutr 140:605-11. 2010..Such an analytical approach is useful for identifying both appropriate nutritional supplements within a given sociocultural context as well as the information that should be included in nutrition education to improve adherence...
- Toward a comprehensive approach to the collection and analysis of pica substances, with emphasis on geophagic materialsSera L Young
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e3147. 2008..Currently, there are little available data for testing major hypotheses about pica because of methodological limitations and lack of attention to the problem...