Carl F Nathan
Affiliation: Cornell University
- Lupoli T, Fay A, Adura C, Glickman M, Nathan C. Reconstitution of a Mycobacterium tuberculosis proteostasis network highlights essential cofactor interactions with chaperone DnaK. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E7947-E7956 pubmed..These studies lay the groundwork for strategies to target essential chaperone-protein interactions in Mtb, the leading cause of death from a bacterial infection. ..
- Saito K, Warrier T, Somersan Karakaya S, Kaminski L, Mi J, Jiang X, et al. Rifamycin action on RNA polymerase in antibiotic-tolerant Mycobacterium tuberculosis results in differentially detectable populations. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E4832-E4840 pubmed publisher..In contrast, thioridazine did not generate DD Mtb from starved cells but killed those generated by rifampin. ..
- Shen C, Nathan C. Nonredundant antioxidant defense by multiple two-cysteine peroxiredoxins in human prostate cancer cells. Mol Med. 2002;8:95-102 pubmed..The substantial resistance of human cells to hydroperoxides may result in part from the additive action of multiple Prxs. ..
- Vaubourgeix J, Lin G, Dhar N, Chenouard N, Jiang X, Botella H, et al. Stressed mycobacteria use the chaperone ClpB to sequester irreversibly oxidized proteins asymmetrically within and between cells. Cell Host Microbe. 2015;17:178-90 pubmed publisher..Treatment of tuberculosis might be assisted by drugs that cripple the pathway by which Mtb buffers, sequesters, and asymmetrically distributes IOPs. ..
- Nathan C. Macrophages' Choice: Take It In or Keep It Out. Immunity. 2016;45:710-711 pubmed publisher..Interference with the function of E-cadherin in macrophages disorganized the granulomas and protected the fish, introducing new ideas and questions about macrophage function and granulomatous diseases. ..
- Nathan C. Kunkel Lecture: Fundamental immunodeficiency and its correction. J Exp Med. 2017;214:2175-2191 pubmed publisher..Immunologists can aid the development of sorely needed antimicrobial agents, and the study of antimicrobial agents can help immunologists discover targets and mechanisms of host immunity. ..